• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2020 Triple Bypass Run....FO REALS!!!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
no, that wasn't my intent!

Just motivation to keep the groups moving! Not a race per say.
I like your tenacity, kid. For real if it does grow into two groups running opposite directions I think would be mandatory otherwise (1) we'll seriously clog the trail and (b) might even be an event with no permit I suspect.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
So when me and my wife did it back in 2018 we had a lifted Toyota 4Runner with 33’s. Center locked but no rear or front locked yet. We made of through all of monrazuma and pearl pass and I want to say we really didn’t get hung up on anything.

I did all of Taylor pass last year.

I’ll look into my tracks for more info on both of these.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Here is the GPX file from Taylor Pass. Looks like we did it in 2 hr 20 minutes.

Attachments

• Taylor_Pass_Tracks_5_Oct_2019_.gpx
    155.4 KB · Views: 168

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
OK. From my google history it looks like we arrived at the pearl pass trail head at around 11:30, we arrived at Montezuma basin around 12:42. We left the basin around 1:56. Got to Pearl Pass around 3:12PM, and arrived in Crested Butte at about 5:45.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
OK. From my google history it looks like we arrived at the pearl pass trail head at around 11:30, we arrived at Montezuma basin around 12:42. We left the basin around 1:56. Got to Pearl Pass around 3:12PM, and arrived in Crested Butte at about 5:45.
That fits what Peter and I did a couple of years ago. Started up Castle Creek Rd about 11AM, at Montezuma Road 12:15, crux about 12:30, Pearl Pass at 1PM, CB about 4PM. We weren't dogging it. Did stop for about 15 minutes at Pearl and for maybe 10 minutes to chat with 3 Wheel Ben. With 10 trucks I think the technical spot will add at least15 to 30 minutes, especially if it rains. Going backwards, down Pearl to Aspen, shouldn't have any serious slow-down technical spots IIRC.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
That fits what Peter and I did a couple of years ago. Started up Castle Creek Rd about 11AM, at Montezuma Road 12:15, crux about 12:30, Pearl Pass at 1PM, CB about 4PM. We weren't dogging it. Did stop for about 15 minutes at Pearl and for maybe 10 minutes to chat with 3 Wheel Ben. With 10 trucks I think the technical spot will add at least15 to 30 minutes, especially if it rains. Going backwards, down Pearl to Aspen, shouldn't have any serious slow-down technical spots IIRC.

I agree Dave!

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Can you throw my name onto the list Nic? I recently picked up a Toyota with a selectable tcase so I will be ready to go! :LOL:

I thought I saw you the other day Gaskins!
1588709973328.png

:oops:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Can you throw my name onto the list Nic? I recently picked up a Toyota with a selectable tcase so I will be ready to go! :LOL:
Nice! Glad to have you back Matt!

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I think I have the list updated. Let me know if I've missed anyone.

Dave brings up a good point and this is getting large enough we may need to look into the proper regulations. If we keep it loose, I think we'll be ok and there is always some attrition with these things although I know everybody is going to be super excited to get out.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Dave brings up a good point and this is getting large enough we may need to look into the proper regulations. If we keep it loose, I think we'll be ok and there is always some attrition with these things although I know everybody is going to be super excited to get out.
I don't think that's really a concern as long as you put up any structures or charge an entry fee. I think the total participates must be limited but it's pretty high, 50 or something. My thought is mainly along the lines of the number of people in a "group" on a trail like Cruise Moab. Even if there isn't I still think it might be nice for any other users not to have to wait on 20 trucks on the trail.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I don't think that's really a concern as long as you put up any structures or charge an entry fee. I think the total participates must be limited but it's pretty high, 50 or something. My thought is mainly along the lines of the number of people in a "group" on a trail like Cruise Moab. Even if there isn't I still think it might be nice for any other users not to have to wait on 20 trucks on the trail.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Keep the individual groups small, around 10 trucks, and you’ll be fine. If you have too many trucks, the worst thing that will happen is a ranger will split you up a little. USFS is pretty lax, and permit requirements can be a little different forest to forest. BLM is a different story, but I think you’ll be mainly on FS land, White River ang GMUG if memory serves.

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
Peter (@baileyfj40) and I ran Pearl in August 2018.

https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/pearl-pass-8-5-2018.26988/

I don't think it ever opened in 2019 completely. Wasn't there avalanche damage?

Anyway, the crux was a challenge with my e-locker, 235/85R16 and lifted Tacoma. It was slippery and took a couple of tries because it was pretty dug out. I got through without help but in the context of Triple Bypass (assuming it opens and can be run) it would probably require pre-emptive straps to keep a group of 10ish from eating up an hour there. At minimum it (like really all obstacles on TBP) have to be one-and-done attempts. No room for ego, even a triple locked 80 on 35s gets a pull.

I think I was going up to Montezuma Basin on the same day. took a picture of the 80 coming down from Pearl Pass.

AAE9C5ED-EBB1-435F-9157-B191A99D33E4.jpeg

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I think I have the list updated. Let me know if I've missed anyone.

Add me to the list please.