2020 Triple Bypass Run....FO REALS!!!

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
5/8/20 UPDATE: I think I'm going to go ahead and cap the limit on each group to 8 trucks. That is where we're currently at now and I don't want to push it any larger. I'll create a waiting list if anyone else is interested from this point on. There's always some natural attrition as life happens so don't be afraid to post up if you want a chance to get in.

As stated on another post, I'm going to look into the formal side of things and make sure we're doing this proper. If anything needs to be changed as a result, I'll update the thread.

5/5/20 UPDATE: This is looking more and more promising like it is going to happen! :woot:As a result, and from Phillip @3rdGen4R volunteering to help out, we're going to make a second group and run in two different directions. Just to keep things clean (unless you prefer something else) for now we'll keep it with whomever has signed up already and is on the first list will still go with me. Whomever is on the waiting list and signs up from this point on will run with Phil. We'll still keep it under 10 trucks per group to keep things moving. And again, although I don't want to be "exclusive", this really isn't a run for beginners. The whole intent is to try to do it all in one shot and the trucks will have to keep moving to get that done.

Wanted to go ahead and gauge some interest. The other thread was getting some attention so here goes this one...

Who knows what this winter will hold for snow but we can still get something penciled in. For now, I think we shoot for Labor Day weekend which is 9/5-9/7. I will try to make a 4 day weekend out of it personally but we won't do the group thing until Saturday.

So here are the official items:

What: Triple Bypass Run - covering Taylor, Pearl and Italian (not necessarily in that order) passes in one day. This will be pretty difficult and will require lockers front and rear or equivalent. (modern ATRAC)

Who: Experienced drivers with capable rigs. In order to accomplish the intended goals of this trip (all three passes in one day), everyone will need to be able to keep up with the person in front of them. There will be some challenging obstacles and parts with sketchy traction. We'll stick together as a group but please don't be the one who holds everybody up.

When: 9/4 - 9/7 (tentatively) If this is able to happen this year, I plan on driving down on Thursday night, 9/3, and securing a camp spot for the group.

Where: Camp will be at Dorchester Campground. This is primitive camping but it is RV friendly if you choose to bring a camper. There are vault toilets but no other amenities. (i.e. - running water, trash cans, general store, etc.)

UPDATE: A secondary location will be Taylor Park area. @RayRay27 and I did a scouting run last weekend and camped here:

https://goo.gl/maps/NNoZZ2GuLGq2R8CT8 There's a TON of big open campsites in that area that would be perfect for big groups.

I've officially taken Thursday and Friday off of work so I'm hoping to get down there Wednesday night to secure a spot for us. There are areas with Wifi close enough to where we'll be that I can update this thread once a spot is secured.

This will be it for now. I'll update as time gets closer and it looks like we'll be able to run it.

1. Me
2. @ddelong6767
3. @gungriffin
4. @Beach Boy
5. @LARGEONE
6. @3rdGen4R
7. @Basaltfj40
8. @Fisher67
9. @RayRay27
10. @FunkyYota

Last edited:

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Count me in.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
In. I've added this to the RS calendar as tentative.

Last edited:

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Loved this run years ago with Bruce and family. Please count me in.

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
I can't make this weekend, but I'm definitely interested to do this another time.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Please put me on the list. Incredible run!

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I assume since you specifically said modern ATRAC that this trip would be too difficult for a stock 100 series w/ ATRAC and no lockers?

Basaltfj40

Trail Ready
Yes please!

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
I would love to join the group this year. Please put me down.

todd

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I assume since you specifically said modern ATRAC that this trip would be too difficult for a stock 100 series w/ ATRAC and no lockers?
mmmm....maybe, maybe not. Your Lexy's ATRAC is probably pretty good for it.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Not sure I can make that but would the 1st gen ATRAC in my 01 4runner be up for it with no lockers? Is that the same in J1000 Lexus?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Just think fast paced bigger obstacles that require lockers or decent traction control with a skilled driver to negotiate quickly. It’d be the kind of run where we don’t get out to spot people or winch or strap if at all possible because those kinds of things can suck hours in a hurry. Sure there may be a few spots we’d need to think a bit about stuff but for the most part you’d be expected to wheel hard and fast all day will little dilly dallying

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Me maybe waitlist maybe?

I ran Taylor this fall and it's pretty rocky for an easier trail but vintage 100 series ATRAC, 33's and some armor should handle that one no sweat. Not as sure about Pearl or Italian creek but I think Pearl is a little more difficult, Italian a little tighter tree lined trail I think (campfire talk data.. not real reliable in this case given camp libations).

wesintl

RS Moderator
Marco is right. I would recommend a lift above all else. This is the type of run where you have to keep going. In the past the spot on Italian in the scree would be the only place for spotting. The rest of the trip you need to keep up with the vehicle in front of you. I would not recommend a stock truck just for speed sake. ATRAC is probably ok with a good driver. There are a couple spots on each trail that new drivers would need help but seasoned drivers can negotiate themselves. It's not hard but you just can't be stopping and getting out for little things. After Barry brought his stock lx450 I made it a lift and locker run ;)

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Peter (@baileyfj40) and I ran Pearl in August 2018.

https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/pearl-pass-8-5-2018.26988/

I don't think it ever opened in 2019 completely. Wasn't there avalanche damage?

Anyway, the crux was a challenge with my e-locker, 235/85R16 and lifted Tacoma. It was slippery and took a couple of tries because it was pretty dug out. I got through without help but in the context of Triple Bypass (assuming it opens and can be run) it would probably require pre-emptive straps to keep a group of 10ish from eating up an hour there. At minimum it (like really all obstacles on TBP) have to be one-and-done attempts. No room for ego, even a triple locked 80 on 35s gets a pull.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I was just checking my log files and I have the GPS track from the Pearl Pass run but I must have edited it since the time data is stripped off. But according to the trip report we started at 11AM on the trail and we finished in CB at taco time, so it was a long day.