• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2020 Triple Bypass Run....FO REALS!!!

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Thanks for everybody's input. The appeal to me about this run is definitely the challenge. It's going to be a long day even with experienced drivers with capable rigs and if everything goes right. I'll update the original post to clarify this with people.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Peter (@baileyfj40) and I ran Pearl in August 2018.

https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/pearl-pass-8-5-2018.26988/

I don't think it ever opened in 2019 completely. Wasn't there avalanche damage?

Anyway, the crux was a challenge with my e-locker, 235/85R16 and lifted Tacoma. It was slippery and took a couple of tries because it was pretty dug out. I got through without help but in the context of Triple Bypass (assuming it opens and can be run) it would probably require pre-emptive straps to keep a group of 10ish from eating up an hour there. At minimum it (like really all obstacles on TBP) have to be one-and-done attempts. No room for ego, even a triple locked 80 on 35s gets a pull.
Yes, there was avalanche damage and you're right, it never completely opened. The trail report from late summer of last year on bushducks seems to indicate that the avalanche damage was mostly cleared and that snowpack was the main reason it wasn't opened completely. Fingers crossed that this is the case and that the snow melts enough to get through. By the way this winter is turning out so far, this may be a pipe dream. But we'll keep trying by god!

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
Marco is right. I would recommend a lift above all else. After Barry brought his stock lx450 I made it a lift and locker run ;)
That LX was triple locked! But it had stock size snow tires. 🤟

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Just food for thought, snow year 2019-2020 looks to be favorable as far as passes opening this summer at least...

Unknown.png

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Do you have a gaiaGPS route for this yet? I was just trying to figure out how to link these all up, seems like theres a pretty good haul between pearl and italian passes. Am I missing a route option?

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 12.06.23 PM.png

subzali

Hard Core 4+

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Add me to the waiting list. If we get enough people interested, I may lead this as well for a second group.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Last edited:

satchel

Rising Sun Member
I'd love to join the waiting list if I can.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Please add me to the waiting list

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Or run both directions and high five in the middle, award for the ones that are farther around at the meeting point and the last ones to camp provide the whiskey!

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
@Stuckinthe80s Nick, turn that waiting list into a second group. I'll go ahead and lead that group. What do you think?
Sounds like a plan!

Or run both directions and high five in the middle, award for the ones that are farther around at the meeting point and the last ones to camp provide the whiskey!
Oooohhhh, I like that!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
no, that wasn't my intent!

Just motivation to keep the groups moving! Not a race per say.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Nic, I also asked to be added thanks

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member