Yankee Doodle Lake Kiosk Installation Party

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
It's official- the weekend of 8/25 is the event we've been building toward.

We will meet at Rollinsville at [EDIT: was noon, now 9AM] Saturday, 8/25 (or about 11-ish at Yankee Doodle Lake I'm guessing). We will pick up the Boulder Ranger District archaeologist and possibly another BRD person at Rollinsville. We will then proceed to Yankee Doodle Lake, punch holes in the ground, proceed with concreting and positioning and whatnot - I will leave the particulars to Sir John Henley on the sequence of work itself.

Commencing around dusk, we shall retire to the woods and regale each other with fantastic tales of derring-do whilst consuming moderate amounts of adult beverage, watching satellites whiz around the earth, and settling in for a great alpine slumber in the sheltering woods. Upon sunup, we will enjoy the fine breakfasts we prepare (no doubt there will be culinary competition), and finish the kiosk installation, then do a Jenny Creek trail run for the afternoon!

I can tell you where not to camp...

Here is what is needed; I need a person or persons to grab an item as a to-do:
1. Procurement of concrete. I figure 6-10 bags, John will correct me if I am wrong. Mike W.
2. Procurement of a post hole digger. NOT the manual kind (alone- we will need a couple of these for hole cleanout). Some discussion around the BRDOHV table indicated that a backhoe might be advisable. I did see what looked to be a stout posthole auger machine at Home Depot that is a tow-behind, and I thought it might be adequate. But we will need pikes for rocks, and a backhoe might save the day (and backs). My instinct tells me Uncle Ben would be the subject matter expert here and maybe the go-to guy. OOPS! UB can't do it. Bill (Red Chili) will take care of the auger.
3. Hauling of the kiosk to the site at the lake. John will haul, will need help loading it Friday night.
4. Hauling of water containers for mixing concrete in the hole. Martin's got this one
5. Somebody to point out what I have forgotten.:lmao:
--->5A. For instance, a generator to run grinders. A very hefty inverter might do. Chris will bring Romer's generator.
--->5B. Vehicle based welder, such as a Redi-Welder, or Mobi-Arc, or such. That failing, oxyacetylene will do. John to arrange to pick up a Redi Welder from LexusBen Thurs. afternoon?
6. Someone to foreman the work crew. As the kiosk is John's design, and he directed the building of it with an eye to installation, I do hope John will do this. Yep, John has this

This will be a tad bit of work in the beginning, but overall, light work, and a BIG fun, relaxing, and productive weekend! Nice way to begin the waning of summer.

Last edited:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Just let me know what jobs do not get picked up. I'll take up the slack.

As far as water goes, barrels are considered construction materials and are not allowed in the city of Wheat Ridge. We will need to find another way to haul water up there.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I'll be there to help as needed. Looking forward to it. :thumb:

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
I will be there. I will plan to pick-up the concrete

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I'm totally in....all the way! Small backhoe no problem....along with bull bars, manual post hole diggers, whatnot and pulled by a dumptruck.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
SWEET! OK you fellers, I will start putting names to tasks on the first post. And Treeroot, the only slack you will be picking up will be that which weighs less than 5 lbs.

Although driving a trailer might come in handy... 5 gal buckets for water should suffice, from Home Depot or something.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I have one of Mikes old 50 gallon barrels with a tap on it that I can fill with water and haul up.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Dad-gum...dilly-whopper...ho hum.....

Shat! I knew that weekend sounded familiar. While it wasn't on the calendar (thus the reason I piped right up) it should not have had to be. My brother in FLA is getting re-married and I am supposed to be there as kind of a brotherly support thang. :rolleyes: I do not want to miss the JK work weekend as it is very important to me plus I have means the club needs to get-r-done smoothly. What do I do now? Anyway of a reschedule? (somehow I have my doubts the bro will change dates....)

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Shat! I knew that weekend sounded familiar. While it wasn't on the calendar (thus the reason I piped right up) it should not have had to be. My brother in FLA is getting re-married and I am supposed to be there as kind of a brotherly support thang. :rolleyes: I do not want to miss the JK work weekend as it is very important to me plus I have means the club needs to get-r-done smoothly. What do I do now? Anyway of a reschedule? (somehow I have my doubts the bro will change dates....)

The only other weekend was the 18th and 19th, which would conflict with the TBP. But maybe there are enough people not doing that run that there would be enough?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I think it runs the risk of falling apart if we change it... the BRD could barely squeeze it, and so many club members could only make the 25th. :(

Hey, UB, care to delegate to a worthy stand-in?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I've got old-skool manual post-hole diggers that are an auger-screw type - much easier on the ol' back and usually much more effective - even in rocks to a certain extent. I don't know how many holes we're planning on punching in the ground, but I can still bring them and maybe they'll be of help - if I can make it on Saturday. I'll be there for sure later in the afternoon (hopefully before you quit) but not sure yet if I can get up there by noon or even early afternoon. If I had a truck and trailer I'd be willing to bring up some equipment, but as of now...I guess I could tow the rental auger from Home Depot behind the 40? :confused:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Triple Shat for me :( - We are talking Sat the 25th and rolling into Sunday the 26th now correct? Or is it still Friday night the 24th rolling into Saturday as discussed during the meeting?

I have SOOOOOOO been looking forward to this but I have been duly informed that Saturday in my :Princess:'s Bday party. Trying to work out coming up late but last I heard the :Princess: is having a slumber party. We couldn't go to Ouray because it was the :Princess:'s Bday (official day) either.

Hmmm...Anywhere to park a popup camper up there and would you all mind 20 screaming 8yr olds running around? That might be a slumber party they don't soon forget :hill:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, we talked about either night really. The problem of getting up there with equipment and actually having time to punch holes on a work day made me decide to make it Saturday nite. Easier.

We're gonna punch three holes basically. It will be one of the first things we do, probably about 4-ish by the time we get set up, maybe a bit earlier. I can tow the post hole digger if need be, and Matt, if it is convenient those old school versions might come in handy depending. Losing UB hurts, I was all excited about his heavy equipment resources and skills! Ah, well, we'll gitterdun.

Hey Jeff, we certainly would not want to discourage 8-year-olds from observing Manus Fourwheelius in his natural habitat, caring for his surroundings! I am (pretty) sure they would zonk at 11,000 ft. before the camp stories get too out of hand.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Me be thinking..... Would it be possible for me to get up there during the week and punch the holes? :confused:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Why, certainly!
John can give you dimensions. I bet Brian or Cat with the BRD can meet you to show you where it goes. The archaeologist wanted to be there in case we dug anything interesting up.

303-541-2500, you should be able to leave a message. Warning, they are not good at returning messages so you have to be persistent. You might also ask for the archaeologist directly.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I will not be able to attend Bill. I need to resolve some personal issues...

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I am a definite, positive maybe. Depending on how my tennis team does in the State Finals today, I might be in Utah playing the Nationals. :) Wish me luck, but I would love to be there to help if we don't make it.

T

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Hey UB, post up if you are going to be up there in the middle of the week and what time you're thinking, if there's anything I could be of help with I might be able to schlep away from work and come help out. Just don't want to leave you hanging sir.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Hey Jeff, we certainly would not want to discourage 8-year-olds from observing Manus Fourwheelius in his natural habitat, caring for his surroundings! I am (pretty) sure they would zonk at 11,000 ft. before the camp stories get too out of hand.

Worked hard on convincing the wife on this today but no luck :(

Between trying to convice all the parents that everything would be "ok" and the fact that many of them may have issues with being away from home for a night let alone being WAY away from home it just isn't going to fly...It looks like I am definitely out :rant:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Got this from Brian Rasmussen, is anyone able to meet with him the Friday before 8/25? Could you contact him?
I fear this is in danger of falling apart at this point. The 8/25 date is about the only one that is open for most Rising Sun folks, and I am severely constrained in September due to teaching commitments.
25. For now contact her through me. What is your schedule?

I know that I still need to get plywood panels for mounting on the sheet
metal. I'll need exact measurements before I cut it. It can wait until
after the Kiosk is installed. What do you think?

bye,

Brian D. Rasmussen
Recreation Technician
Boulder Ranger District
(303) 541-2525
bdrasmussen@fs.fed.us