Yaesu rigs...

Hants

Rising Sun Member
The next option would be to have the mobile retransmit your UHF TX and additionally do the flip side and retransmit the other party to your remote UHF frequency. This is called a full duplex cross band repeating. The difference is that your HT only needs to talk to your mobile. But now you have two transmitters working on two different input and output frequencies. This means you have to ID both radios and since you don't know when someone might trip the input to the mobile, it's not technically being ID'd properly. DOING THIS BLINDLY IS ILLEGAL UNLESS THE RADIO SELF IDENTIFIES! If the radio can self ID (with your call sign) when it happens to transmit, this is OK to use as an RX range extender. Also if both hams using the full duplex cross band announce what is going on, that could be fine.

Note that this means that you cannot legally do full-duplex CBR via another (public) repeater unless your mobile self-identifies.

...the FCC only allows you to do remote control tones on the UHF side AFAIK. I've never verified that in the FCC Rules, so that may only be hear-say. But I do believe that doing remote control via an HT on the UHF side is fine, so set up cross band remote controls going UHF-to-VHF and you should never be non-compliant.

I have read from several sources that remote control can only be done via UHF frequencies, also. One of those places is Kenwood's SkyCommand documentation (remote control of their big-boy base station radios). From what I've read, the FCC only requires that the Remote Control be transmitted on UHF -- all other communications can be on other bands. My understanding is that VHFxVHF CBR would be fine with the FCC, as long as Remote Control commands were transmitted on UHF (requiring a dual-VFO HT).

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
then asked her if it was worth the price difference to be able to tell where the rig is when we're in the backcountry. Her response : "<puzzled look> That's a safety feature. Of course its worth it.... as long as its not $1000 more or something."
So what's the story with this APRS? I know about it in theory and everyone talks about being able to report a location in the backcountry. But don't you need a packet-capable repeater for it to work? Are most repeaters capable of this? What about that funky Google reporting, does the digital repeater then also need to be on the Internet? Just wondering, I know pretty much nothing about how this stuff works. I don't have GPS box and I'm not about to buy and drag a laptop with me. I tolerate having a computer at home, but I'm definitely not going to have one with me in the truck.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
So what's the story with this APRS? I know about it in theory and everyone talks about being able to report a location in the backcountry. But don't you need a packet-capable repeater for it to work? Are most repeaters capable of this? What about that funky Google reporting, does the digital repeater then also need to be on the Internet? Just wondering, I know pretty much nothing about how this stuff works. I don't have GPS box and I'm not about to buy and drag a laptop with me. I tolerate having a computer at home, but I'm definitely not going to have one with me in the truck.

I have a bit of book knowledge, but not *any* real-world experience.

APRS is packet based, and, basically routes packets between radios (TNC's) and "digipeaters". There are a fair number of digipeaters around, but they're not nearly as prevalent as regular repeaters.

APRS rigs update each other, so you'll always see "local" information. You, or a rig within a small number of "hops", must be able to get to a internet-enabled-digipeater for your packets to reach the Google-enabled map.

New Mexico has some of the best coverage in the states (digipeaters on most key high-points). I have not checked the coverage maps of Colorado & Utah yet.

In addition to location updates, you can send "email" to local stations or even internet email addresses. The messages are limited in length (think texting on your cell phone).

In SAR & emergency operations, APRS is commonly used to keep track of tactical (local) locations of resources. A computer at HQ receives (and sends) updates, and displays a map. The internet is not necessary at all for this.

Even though many TNC's can act as digipeaters, convention is that they are NOT configured this way -- primarily because it can cause dramatic traffic increases (congestion on the airwaves). There have been recent protocol changes to help mitigate this.

One of the nice features (for me) of the TM-D710A is that that NO computer is necessary for common APRS scenarios (sending/receiving location updates, sending/receiving messages, viewing & communicating with local "objects"). I have no plans to permanently mount a laptop/carputer in my 80. I will probably carry around a laptop to reprogram as necessary, at least initially.

If you look at the link above, centered on the Denver area, you'll see a few "tracks" of mobile rigs. A lot of the "noise" on the map is static weather stations, and static digipeaters. You can turn off different types of objects so they don't clutter your screen.

Once I get it all installed, I'll take it out and see how it works in real life. I hope the coverage in the places we go (non-urban) is sufficient to be useful to those NOT on the trip. Hey -- someone has to be the vanguard! :banghead:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
The Kenwood TM-V71A has all of the features of the TM-D710A, except for the TNC for APRS. It does support Remote Control (via DTMF) and self-identification in CBR mode. It is about the same price as the Yaesu FT-8800R.

The TM-V71A was my radio-of-choice until I asked Caroline. I showed her this link:

http://aprs.fi/

then asked her if it was worth the price difference to be able to tell where the rig is when we're in the backcountry. Her response : "<puzzled look> That's a safety feature. Of course its worth it.... as long as its not $1000 more or something."

Bingo -- budget increase! :thumb:

:cool: - hmm...wonder if that approach will work for me :rolleyes: - That is a slick deal that could come in handy for the folks at home. Think Rubithon (assuming it works there). Those that don't go can watch the progress of the group, down to a pretty detailed level :D :thumb:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
You guys saw that "radio dave" video I posted, right? He had that going in his 40.

Great discussion here btw, even if only 20% of it is really sinking in, I'll read it again in a few months and hopefully pick up another 10% or so.. believe it or not one day I didn't know what a CDL button was.. I'm sure in time we'll all get this.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
:cool: - hmm...wonder if that approach will work for me :rolleyes:

Dunno -- just don't blame me if you get kicked! :hill:

That is a slick deal that could come in handy for the folks at home. Think Rubithon (assuming it works there). Those that don't go can watch the progress of the group, down to a pretty detailed level :D :thumb:

There was a guy in New Mexico recently, that was going to set his radio to auto-broadcast APRS location every 10 mintes @ 50 Watts during a backcountry trip. Since APRS is on a standard frequency (same frequency everywhere in the US), it probably worked pretty well. 50W is a pretty big bullhorn! :eek:

I'll see if I can find the link again and see how it actually worked.

The link above has some pretty cool features. If you know someone's callsign (and they're using APRS), it will automatically find & zoom the map to their last location.

Just don't get caught parking in front of your girlfriend's house!!! :rant::brick: :rip:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Man, I gotta play with my Radio more. And here I thought it was so I could talk with Tim and Chris on Monday nights and while offroad.

Hants

Rising Sun Member

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
D-star/indecision

Is anyone using D-Star in Rising Sun? Brian and I discussed this a little tonight at the Ham test. I am really torn between the TM-D710A and just getting a Yaesu 7800 or 8800. However, I also know that I am a techie by nature and will eventually want to do APRS/D-Star/Echolink etc. In the future I cold put the 7800/8800 at home (my wife will get licensed) and I can get a more sophisticated radio in my '40.

I prefer the price of the 7800/8800, but realize I am likely to become a HAM hobbyist. Is anyone else this conflicted?:eek:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I have an FT-8800 in my FZJ80 and an FT-2800 for my FJ40. :D

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
Is anyone using D-Star in Rising Sun? Brian and I discussed this a little tonight at the Ham test. I am really torn between the TM-D710A and just getting a Yaesu 7800 or 8800. However, I also know that I am a techie by nature and will eventually want to do APRS/D-Star/Echolink etc. In the future I cold put the 7800/8800 at home (my wife will get licensed) and I can get a more sophisticated radio in my '40.

I prefer the price of the 7800/8800, but realize I am likely to become a HAM hobbyist. Is anyone else this conflicted?:eek:

Forgot to mention. Icom rigs w/ D-Star will do APRS. Kenwood rigs w/ APRS won't do D-Star with out additional external add-ons

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/dstar/2820h/default.aspx

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I don't think I could be more confused about what radio to purchase.

I hate buying something twice. But in reality, until I actually start using a HAM(passed the tech exam tonight) I don't think there is any way to really know what I want.

How often to those who have the ability do you use the dual tuner feature of the 8800 or 8900?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Any 2M radio will get you started. If you don't need to have a separate faceplate, the FT-2800M is a great radio. $134. Get it here.

ft2800mlg.jpg

If you want the removable faceplate, so that you can mount most of the unit somewhere in back, then the FT-7800R is an excellent choice. $235. Get it here.

ft7800rlg.jpg

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I don't think I could be more confused about what radio to purchase.

I hate buying something twice. But in reality, until I actually start using a HAM(passed the tech exam tonight) I don't think there is any way to really know what I want.

How often to those who have the ability do you use the dual tuner feature of the 8800 or 8900?

Corbet,

I know how you feel. I found my FT-8800 on eBay, which helped on the price a little. I enjoy the dual band feature.

When we were in Ouray last year I could monitor two different frequencies at the same time, and switching between the two was a one button activity. Like Dave said previously, you could tune one receiver to your favorite channel and scan on the other one.

As Matt just pointed out, the 7800/8800/8900 have a detachable face plate which can be nice in the 80 where you have limited space. My face plate is mounted on the console behind the shifter and the radio is mounted on the side of the arm rest and the drivers seat.

If you don't care about the extra features then something like the FT-2800 is a great choice and less money. I found one on Craigslist locally for $100. It's going in my FJ40.

Hope that helps. Here are some pictures of Nakman's setup.

Attachments

• ham_install2.jpg
    ham_install2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 249
  • ham_install1.jpg
    ham_install1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 244

subzali

Hard Core 4+
...which can be nice in the 80 where you have limited space.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Good one Chris! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

For me the difference that made me want to go with the 7800 over the 1802 or the 2800 was that it has 2m and 70cm capability, where the other two are 2m only. If I'm wrong someone please correct me :) For me, the extra features of the 8800/8900 aren't really worth it for now. Plus I'm planning on getting an HT too so I'm spending quite a bit of $$ as it is.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Good one Chris! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Well, if you want to mount your radio where I did there are not a whole lot of great choices unless you can detach the face plate. :flipoff2:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I know I'm just joshing ya! ;) 80s have more storage space than 40s but sometimes 40s seem to be easier to modify to make room to put radios and stuff like that! :thumb: