• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Winch options

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Seems like I've seen talk about Chinese winches and how they are all come from the same places now. Perhaps with Superwinch going under and becoming part of Weston that might be another brand in name only. But Warn seems to still be holding out.

I thought this post by a representative named Andy from Warn over on ExPo would be valuable. Of course their winches are not 100% US-made, motors I think are imported from Bosch in Mexico, electrical part sources are generally Far East only, etc.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/superwinch-closes-business.203509/#post-2608899

Just to clear some things up about our products:
  • All but one of our truck winch models has a final point of assembly of Clackamas, Oregon. They are made with parts from the USA and around the world. Some parts, including our gears, come into our building as raw steel, and leave inside our winches. In addition, nearly all of our mounting systems are made in the USA. We employ 400 workers at our headquarters/factory in Oregon.
  • Our VR line is made in China. However, it is designed, engineered, and tested extensively by us, and carries the same limited lifetime warranty on mechanical components and seven year warranty on electrical parts. We also have an in-house staff of customer service folks with an average tenure of 14 years.
  • FYI, our powersports winches all leave our factory in Oregon, too.
  • Warn Industries was founded in 1948 and has been in business over 70 years.
If anyone ever has any questions about our products or services, don't hesitate to reach out to me directly; happy to help!

- Andy

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Seems like I've seen talk about Chinese winches and how they are all come from the same places now. Perhaps with Superwinch going under and becoming part of Weston that might be another brand in name only. But Warn seems to still be holding out.

I thought this post by a representative named Andy from Warn over on ExPo would be valuable. Of course their winches are not 100% US-made, motors I think are imported from Bosch in Mexico, electrical part sources are generally Far East only, etc.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/superwinch-closes-business.203509/#post-2608899

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
As much as I love my Talon. I’d probably wait to buy anything from superwinch. Westin just auctioned off like 3/4 of the stock parts and superwinch inventory. If you have an issue, you might be up schitts Creek.

I’ve really come to like comeup. Not much in the $300 price range, but by far the best value out there currently.

I wouldn’t buy a used rig off of Craigslist unless I had a way to test it first or maybe if it was in impeccable condition. To be fair, my POV on this has 180’s since working for Slee and seeing the winches and winch motors that come through.

If $300 is what you have, id by a hi-lift and the winch kit and keep saving for a comeup or Warn.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
If $300 is what you have, id by a hi-lift and the winch kit and keep saving for a comeup or Warn.

That's the approach I'm taking. I bought a heavy duty come along from Northern Tool for about $60 and will keep it in the truck until I can afford a good winch. Yeah, it SOOOO sucks using come alongs but my thought is that I'd still be using it if I shelled out a few hundred for a cheapy winch and it decided to give up the ghost on a hard pull.

Having said that, a buddy of mine has a HF 12k winch on his 53' sloped car hauler and he hasn't had any trouble out of it the several hundred times he's used it. It was on the trailer when he bought it, and the guy before that used it daily as he transported RV trailers with it. I think he just lucked out on a good one though. I still don't feel like putting $300 towards a bigger risk and would rather save up for more of a known good product.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I’d probably wait to buy anything from superwinch. Westin just auctioned off like 3/4 of the stock parts and superwinch inventory. If you have an issue, you might be up schitts Creek.
This is why I have a Warn. The winch was made well in the first place, can be repaired still today 15+ years since it was new by a company that has a history of good support. Parts are available or superseded by improved parts to the winch, a model they still make.

ComeUp from everything I've heard is a stand-up company, too. Not sure about long term support. But then again you can never really know if even Warn will be around in a year or 25. I mean, I'd never have really thought there was a risk to buying a Superwinch a year ago.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
with the new light brought with superwinch etc... would it be worth to give smittybuilt winches a go again? I know that if you have an issue you can take it back to 4wheelparts and get squared up that way. I know theres a bunch who have had good luck with them including a buddy of mine who has used his a bunch of times.

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
I acquired my 8274 used. It's infinitely upgradable, and you can choose from oem or aftermarket parts. I think mine is 40 years old or something. Even with the original motor it's faster than most winches and it's never come close to stalling. I did update the solenoid pack though. Personally if I didn't have any winch at all and on a tight budget I would consider a harbor freight winch. Their are a ton of reviews on them and almost all are positive.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Alrighty. In regards to looking for a used warm to rebuild what should I look for in one?
For now, I plan on mounting it behind the factory bumper on my 80.

Alrighty. In regards to looking for a used warm to rebuild what should I look for in one?
For now, I plan on mounting it behind the factory bumper on my 80.

For a rebuildable Warn you only want to look for a Non-Integrated unit OR the 8274 variant. The integrated ones are much more difficult to update/upgrade/rebuild as opposed to the ones with seperate solenoid packs.

I'd search m8000, m10000, xd9000, 9.5xp, 8274, warn winch, and just winch. A lot of times people dont know what they have so you can get them cheap.

Happy hunting!

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I'd search m8000, m10000, xd9000, 9.5xp, 8274, warn winch, and just winch. A lot of times people dont know what they have so you can get them cheap.

I have always found it easiest to just set up a search alert through Craigslist. It will just email you when something triggers the alert.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Issues, yes, plenty But also wanted to instal new Synthetic winch line to my current WARN xd9000i system. I fought long and hard to despool it, every foot.
OK, so l looked it up. Same model WARN Dimensions has changed slightly from the pre and 2000 year of the model that I have, space I have would make it a none fit.
Looking at a Superwinch SX12SR, still a very tight fit. Thoughts. superwinch-sx-12000-winch. Then the price is about half (or more) off the WARN ones. (Used it twice in the past 4.5 years). Mounting 10"X4.5" could be standard, I don't know.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
What dimensions changed Mike? I figure the motor changed when they added the finned end cap. Maybe it's the 'i' part, the integrated solenoid is usually a thorn.

Why not just get a tube of grease and rebuilt it?

Warn suggests Aeroshell #33MS (or now 64).

It's expensive grease but $30 plus a couple of gaskets is a lot less than a new winch. It's not really that hard but do make sure to follow instruction on the brake to prevent a headache on getting the spring-loaded assembly in and out.

Pretty sure mounting dimensions for similar mid-frame sized winches is standard.

Warn_midframe_mounting.png

Attachments

• Service_Manual_Work_Sheet_XD9.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
So, my understanding their newer model does not have the Finned cap and a 1/2” + longer on the motor end (currently got a 1/4”, spare). By my silly measurements, The SW a 3/4” overall shorter than my existing W ( motor side).
Love the idea of rebuilding just dislike the part ordering that always gives me fits.

I’ll plenty of time for that in the future, however. So this is what I see.

Attachments

• IMG_8989.jpeg
    IMG_8989.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8988.jpeg
    IMG_8988.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8987.png
    IMG_8987.png
    442.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8986.png
    IMG_8986.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8985.png
    IMG_8985.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 13

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Gotcha. You might double check, there's an XD9, XD9000 and an 9.5XP. Then there's the integrated with 'i'. It can be confusing.

I have the 28500 XD9000 and mine's a pre-2000 build, but it's got a smooth motor, no fins. It's the stand-along solenoid version of the 27500 like yours.

The current 28500 is called an XD9, still no fins. But the clutch handle is a flat key shape instead of my long handle. It's a subtle cosmetic change.

The 9.5XP had the fins back then and was a higher spec winch.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Gotcha. You might double check, there's an XD9, XD9000 and an 9.5XP. Then there's the integrated with 'i'. It can be confusing.

I have the 28500 XD9000 and mine's a pre-2000 build, but it's got a smooth motor, no fins. It's the stand-along solenoid version of the 27500 like yours.

The current 28500 is called an XD9, still no fins. But the clutch handle is a flat key shape instead of my long handle. It's a subtle cosmetic change.

The 9.5XP had the fins back then and was a higher spec winch.
Thanks Dave. Your advice is always appreciated, here and other threads. So, been digging around some more and WARN' always been on top of the llst, for sure (X-bull, Smittybuilt et.c not)
Found this p-warn-winch-103253 that will fit. My rig fully loaded came in at 6542 lbs.
So, should I get the WARN VR EVO 10s or 12s, same measurements. ~ $115.00 difference ????

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Dave. Your advice is always appreciated, here and other threads. So, been digging around some more and WARN' always been on top of the llst, for sure (X-bull, Smittybuilt et.c not)
Found this p-warn-winch-103253 that will fit. My rig fully loaded came in at 6542 lbs.
So, should I get the WARN VR EVO 10s or 12s, same measurements. ~ $115.00 difference ????
Never mind, just ordered the WARN VR EVO 10S, the savings and the 10% Military discount gave me some added recovery gear/book.