• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Winch options

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I really want to wait till I can afford another warn but this seems like such a good deal for 9500 lbs...

Thoughts?

Is this a good example of you get what you pay for?
5f8195ea9775ba9c5e0b062b8dd72730.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I don't need the strap or the gloves but if I get an extra strap out of it that wouldn't be a bad thing unless it's all junk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Seems to me that $350 gets you pretty far on a Warn, Superwinch or something with a name. I'd save for the Warn VR, which is their import line. You at least get good support.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
There's some good reviews on the HF winch with some cleaning and reap king of the grease. I have a friend who bought one and loves it, and he uses it often on his farm.

The Costco one is cheap too and is 12,000# version, they're customer service is unmatched on broken products in my experience.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
I'm kinda in the same boat as op. $300'ish budget. Torn between 3-different models.

-The smittybilt that we both posted.
-Engo
-Or HF and seal it per the diy on mud...

I'm still weary about HF because I'm not a fan of anything electronic from them...
Engo I'd prefer to buy, however if I have an issue im on the hook for shipping it back to them for warranty work...
Smittybilt, I can take to 4wheel parts and have them warranty it out pretty easily.
All seem to have decent reviews as well.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
My BIL has the Costco (or Sam's) unit. He says it's great, but it's not been tested as he's only used winching a deer while hunting a couple of seasons ago....

It was nowhere near a 9,000 pound deer....:hill:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I understand the budget thing. I dont understand taking risks with something that could save (or put at risk) your life or someone elses. I mostly use winches for utility but there have been several times they have been used to set me un stuck when no other vehicle or people have been around.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
There are lots of great warns, Ramsey's, and superwinches on Craigslist. I've bought two and would keep doing that all day long before buying a new hf or smittybuilt. That way I get both-quality on a budget.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I agree with Subzali about used. I don't get buying a Harbor Freight and then doing what is essentially a refurbish when you could buy something better used and do the same thing. That is a major reason to buy Warn, Superwinch, Ramsey is the ability to get parts. My XD9000 has got to be 15 years or more old now and Warn has all the key parts or can use the current updated part if not, the design hasn't changed.

For example, even though it's sold now there was a Warn 9.5ti on Craigslist for $400 recently.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
The Superwich TigerSharks are very afordable. I bought a used one of those for the Father-in-Laws Rubiqueen. The PO had remote mounted the controls. A quick call to Superwinch and they sent new bus bars to me so I could remount the controls to the motor. I use Superwinch exclusivly on my rigs and they have always backed thier product without hessitation. I know Warn does the same. I have heard negative tales anout Ramsey customer service but have not personally had any experiance with them.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Amazon has the Tiger Shark 9500 with synthetic rope for $472, shipped free if you're a Prime member. With a steel rope it's $349.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JCW9GY?ref=emc_b_5_t

I dunno, it may be made in the same factory as HF or anything else, but having Superwinch standing behind it would be worth every nickel to me.

That is my thinking as well! Also getting it already spooled with synth line for only $120 more seems like a no brainer

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
I tend to strike out on timing as far as the cl deals go it seems..But I may have to hold out for that tiger shark im thinking.

Thanks for the input guys.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I think the guys from expedition overland blew up a t max winch that had failed them using tannerite. That was pretty amusing

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Wow

simps80

Rising Sun Member
yea
thats pretty great

the new winch solenoid "pack" for my warn endurance 12000 $1600 winch with less than 5 pulls on it is more than double that.

"high duty cycle" is code for not being able to buy individual solenoids for cheap