Wheel Bearing Packing Party

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Anyone that is planning on doing a front axle service at the WBPP or anytime soon, for that matter, should check out Marlin Crawler's inner axle seal: http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/axles.htm
I installed a pair in December and they seem to be what the doctor ordered for long-term sealing action. This is the seal that fails causing soup in the front steering hub and grease all over the inner side of the tires. OEM are a good alternative and aftermarket, in most cases, should be avoided like the plague.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
+1, that seal rocks. They are going in the front. Unfortunately, since my rear axle install would reverse them, they would not be holding oil in on the good side, but what was designed to be the outside.

Probably still work though.

Impossible to push them in too far, too. And, if your shafts are grooved, these touch the shaft in a slightly different location.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Okay everybody, I think we have found what/where this is going to happen. After receiving around 10 "NO"s, I talked it over with Christo again today and we will be pleased to spend the 2008 Wheel Bearing Packing Party at Slee Off Road in Golden! Thank you Christo for helping us get this done! The day that will work the best for him is Saturday, April 5, so everybody look at your calendars and let's get a head count of who is in! I will need to be ordering parts soon, so please get back to me soon! Even if you're not sure if you can make it but you have something you need to do, order parts anyway because then they'll be there when you need them, whether or not you make it to the WBPP!

So here's the deal: Slee Off Road has two lifts, with enough floor space to fit an additional 2 or maybe 3 trucks, depending on what's being done. If it's nice weather then the workspace can be extended outside, but being that time of year we can't count on it until the day of.

Again I want to stress that this is a club wrenching event more than it is a "I need to get as much done on my truck in one day while I have access to a lift" event. I am loving the fact that Jeff, Steve, Bruce and others have stepped up offering help to the newer members, to help them figure out their rigs and to show the true spirit of Cruiser-headedness - no doubt they could be using the time to do some of this service stuff on their trucks as well! :thumb:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Christo and Matt.

x2

Christo, is it safe to assume that you will be open is case some of use want to buy a few "knick knacks"? :D

subzali

Hard Core 4+
To recap:

SUBJECT: 2008 Wheel Bearing Packing Party
LOCATION: Slee Off Road in Golden! Thank you Christo for helping us get this done!
DATE: Saturday, April 5
TIME: Don't have that nailed down yet, but probably get started at 8 or 9 AM. The jobs need to be done or close to done by 12:30 or 1:00, because food will have arrived by then and then CLEANUP begins so that we're out of there at a reasonable time in the afternoon.

So here's the deal: Slee Off Road has two lifts, with enough floor space to fit an additional 2 or maybe 3 trucks, depending on what's being done. If it's nice weather then the workspace can be extended outside, but being that time of year we can't count on it until the day of.

Again I want to stress that this is a club wrenching event more than it is a "I need to get as much done on my truck in one day while I have access to a lift" event. I am loving the fact that Jeff, Steve, Bruce and others have stepped up offering help to the newer members, to help them figure out their rigs and to show the true spirit of Cruiser-headedness - no doubt they could be using the time to do some of this service stuff on their trucks as well! :thumb:

I have been talking to participants via pm about what jobs are being planned, if I have missed you let me know and we'll figure it out. If you do not post in this thread or pm me then two things won't happen: 1) We won't order parts for you if you need them because 2) We won't know you're coming. We are going to be ordering parts soon, so if we don't have the jobs pretty much figured out then let me know!

We've got a good lineup so far, with full floater rear bearing packing happening, front bearing packing, and engine tuneup planned. We're pretty full, but if you want to come to watch/heckle/help or whatever then everyone is certainly welcome to!

For those who are coming: bring your tools and SST's, we need a timing light and vacuum gauge as well (please post if you're bringing it, I have two but would have to get them to somebody), drain pans and some kind of floor cover for the work you are doing would be nice - Christo will clean the floor beforehand so we want to make sure we leave it in the same or better condition! Just like when we're on the trail!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Yep, we will need them. Thanks Jeff!