Wheel Bearing Packing Party

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Who's interested?

I am thinking mid or late March, but what do you guys think about when the best time for this will be (before Cruise Moab)?

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Count me in, will check the schedule when I get home...

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I'm in, assuming date and time work out. I just realized that we only have a couple months to get ready for CM08 :eek: - So much I didn't get done last year before the trip that still needs to be done...

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i always have work that needs to be done ;)

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Absolutely In. :thumb: I need to order some parts from CDan!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I need to do the real wheel bearings (1993 FZJ80) so I'd be in if we did that. I have never done them.

I have done birfields a few times so I probably could be of some help there and I do have the big socket.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Don't have any bearings that need to be packed but will do what I can to be there to help. Having been a newb at the WBP get together back in '00, I know how reassuring it is to have an experienced hand guide you through an important fact of Toyota life. Clean snug well greased bearings are cool!

Hants

Rising Sun Member
I'd love to come... I'll be on vacation March 14-28. Outside of that would be my preference. :)

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Anytime other than 3/14-17 will work. I actually DO have wheel bearings that need packing. In fact, a full front axle service and R&R the longfields. Think that might be a bit much? I figger four hours tops.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I am up for it, can always find things to do.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Well I'm trying to get two things done before CM'08 - the WBPP and the First Aid Class. I don't want them to interfere and the First Aid Class can be open on the weekends of March 22 and 29. So if we do the WBPP in April will that be getting too close to Moab?

As far as what will be allowed, I have been talking with a few people who have warned me about allowing projects that are too involved. Of course it will ultimately be up to the shop owner, but I would feel better not allowing a full front axle service or even a Lockright install, mostly because the front axle service is a full day job and it's messy, and the Lockright install may run into unforeseen issues that would make it take longer than the standard 2-hour job it could be. This isn't really to get every little thing done on your truck that you can before Moab, you have a garage for that. It's about doing tune-up type stuff (with front (and rear full float) wheel bearing packing allowed), maybe having a barbecue, hanging out with friends from the club to do some light wrenching/gawking/bsing and NOT TO GET ON THE BAD SIDE OF SHOP OWNERS! Also if there is a problem that's being chased that it would be helpful to have a few extra eyes on, that is also what this is for. And for the 80 series guys, to show off your mods :p:

Sorry I'm having to put my foot down a little, but since this is the first one we've done in a while I don't want us to get in too far over our heads.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
My bearings are freshly packed, and I'm not going to make Moab this year but I'd be up for the WBPP. I've got a couple of tools made up to press in new bearings and seals if anyone wants to use them.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
...the front axle service is a full day job and it's messy, and the Lockright install may run into unforeseen issues that would make it take longer than the standard 2-hour job it could be.
Front axle service and longfields are no more than 4 hours (more like 3 really) for me, but I will respect your limits. Who is doing a Lockright?

I can do my stuff at home if need be.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Wow, you're really fast Bill! Is that for both sides? Could I come be a fly on the wall next time you do one, I would really like to know how to streamline the process! I can barely get all the pieces out and back in in that amount of time, let alone clean stuff, replace seals, and repack grease. Am I the only one that takes so long to do this? I know the first time a couple years ago took an excessively long time, but my boss and I did his 60 in about 12-14 total man hours, and I thought that was reasonable! I didn't time myself this last time when putting a new 3rd member in, but I'm still sure I was around the 8-10 hour mark!

I don't know if anybody was planning on doing a Lockright or equivalent, but I am deferring to the experience of, well, experienced professionals, who felt that for the purposes of this "first in a while" event, we should start conservatively and see where it takes us in future years. I know mine was easy, but I remember that I was pretty close on some of the tolerances, which would have taken a lot of work to restore properly if needed - I guess at that point you could always just throw your spider gears back in to get it out of the shop, but I don't really want to go there.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Count me in

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Wow, you're really fast Bill! Is that for both sides? Could I come be a fly on the wall next time you do one, I would really like to know how to streamline the process!

I don't know if anybody was planning on doing a Lockright or equivalent, .

after the first birf cleaning, it goes a lot quicker. if you do it every couple of years, there's not much to clean and air tools let you zip right through it.

as for the lockright, you just missed it...i just put one in the pig a month ago. didn't check the tolerances though...never done that when i've put in drop in lockers.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Who's interested?

I am thinking mid or late March, but what do you guys think about when the best time for this will be (before Cruise Moab)?
As I mentioned at (January meeting I think?) I'll be happy to coordinate, we just need a shop and date. Matt, I got your PM via email, since my PM box is nearly full I'll reply via email.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Absolutely In. :thumb: I need to order some parts from CDan!
Normally we do a group buy through the dealer who is sponsoring our meetings. The discount we receive is equivalent to most all of the out of state cruiser vendors. The coordinator (I have volunteered for this) buys the parts, picks them up from the dealership (or parts store for grease and fluids) and then is reimbursed at the WBPP by the individuals who the parts are for. We always try to support the dealership who supports us.

However, participants are welcome to bring their own stuff. Obviously Stevinson isn't a Lockright dealer, and there are some types of other projects where the parts aren't available through the dealer.

Assuming we can get a shop to host the event, I'll post up a more detailed description of what a typical WBPP entails in a new thread.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I need to do the real wheel bearings (1993 FZJ80) so I'd be in if we did that. I have never done them.

I have done birfields a few times so I probably could be of some help there and I do have the big socket.

They are the same design as my HZJ75 was, and I've worked on the rears of FJZ80s a number of times. I'll be happy to show you how it's done.