Wheel Bearing Packing Party

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
As far as what will be allowed, I have been talking with a few people who have warned me about allowing projects that are too involved. Of course it will ultimately be up to the shop owner, but I would feel better not allowing a full front axle service or even a Lockright install, mostly because the front axle service is a full day job and it's messy, and the Lockright install may run into unforeseen issues that would make it take longer than the standard 2-hour job it could be. This isn't really to get every little thing done on your truck that you can before Moab, you have a garage for that. It's about doing tune-up type stuff (with front (and rear full float) wheel bearing packing allowed), maybe having a barbecue, hanging out with friends from the club to do some light wrenching/gawking/bsing and NOT TO GET ON THE BAD SIDE OF SHOP OWNERS! Also if there is a problem that's being chased that it would be helpful to have a few extra eyes on, that is also what this is for. And for the 80 series guys, to show off your mods :p:

Sorry I'm having to put my foot down a little, but since this is the first one we've done in a while I don't want us to get in too far over our heads.

I've done Lock Right installs in under an hour.

When I dove into my 71 at ORS, we discovered the growl and rear drum rubbing I was experiencing was worn carrier bearing in my rear diff. Mike and I rebuilt the diff in less than a half day's work, I had a full diff rebuild kit on hand so there was no problem there.

The rule of thumb is that whatever project you have in mind should take less than a half day. Thus, a normal front axle service easily falls into this category, however that doesn't include knuckle bearings, which can easily run a full day from drive-in to drive-out.

Again, I'll post up a full run-down once we're sure we have a shop lined up.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for doing this Jeff and Matt

You guys setup the shop and any time in March or early April should work.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
They are the same design as my HZJ75 was, and I've worked on the rears of FJZ80s a number of times. I'll be happy to show you how it's done.

Jeff - That would be great and fun. I recall you working on the HZJ75 at CM after shearing something on Poison Spider.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I can always do one side at a time. I just need to get the new Longfields in, the old ones are clicking and Bobby Long says that's bad. Not much leakage from the axle shaft seals - but I have the new space-age Marlin seals, so why not? I don't have much trouble with the knuckle bearings, I rarely find the shims need re-shimming. I need to reset my toe, too, gonna go 0* to 1/8" toe out.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
a normal front axle service easily falls into this category, however that doesn't include knuckle bearings, which can easily run a full day from drive-in to drive-out.

Okay, that makes more sense - doing the knuckle bearings does add significantly more time, especially if you have to clean up the housing etc.! :eek:

Again a lot of this will depend on the shop owner, so we'll see. Thanks for the input everybody, I'm excited about this! :thumb:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
My four hour estimate for myself included knuckle bearings. The only difference is pounding out the races, and pounding in new ones. Then setting shims.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Will there be time to repack my knuckles and replace my front pinion seal and nut?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
FWIW, you can reuse the nut and Locktite it on reassembly. Makes it easier to get the preload the same. Unless you forty fellers use spacers, then it's all good.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Front pinion seal and nut - absolutely. 40s have shims (under the yoke) so you just crank it down and stake it.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Okay, so this is coming together a little bit at a time. Going to try and get an answer beforehand from the shop what will be allowed and what won't be, but also going to have the leaders looking at their watches and making sure everything's going smoothly, which is not anything new for this event anyway.

Thinking of a Saturday early in April, will have to confirm with the shop, but maybe April 5? Does that sound like it might work for those interested in coming?

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I'm in for this day assuming I don't have to travel.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Thinking of a Saturday early in April, will have to confirm with the shop, but maybe April 5? Does that sound like it might work for those interested in coming?

Wife's birthday is April 5, so I guess I'll be doing this solo at home another day.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
We can do it the week before or after, I just wanted to throw a weekend out there to get people looking at their calendars. Nothing is set in stone yet, seeing as we may not have a First Aid Class since nobody is signing up, there may not be any interference with other events so we have a few free weekends to choose from.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Early April looks good for me right now.

So how exactly does this work? If you are a first timer, can you bring your own rig and get help as needed, or is it better to be an "assistant" for someone else's truck so that you can learn the ropes.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
We can do it the week before or after, I just wanted to throw a weekend out there to get people looking at their calendars. Nothing is set in stone yet, seeing as we may not have a First Aid Class since nobody is signing up, there may not be any interference with other events so we have a few free weekends to choose from.

Okay, cool. Any day but April 5 I can make work. :thumb:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
This is a day to bring YOUR truck in to work on stuff while old-timers stand by ready to assist you. It is an opportunity to wrench with fellow gearheads, bs, have an opportunity to use a lift (first come first serve in most cases in the past) and a parts washer. In fact, you don't even need to have to or want to do anything on your truck - you can just come to hang out, check out other peoples rigs, watch as the more experienced work their way through more complex jobs, or just do a tuneup on your truck. Those who come are expected to provide their own tools, or if a specialty tool is needed try to secure one beforehand; the 54mm nut tool, for example, is owned by many people in the club and no doubt there will be more than enough present or you could borrow one from someone who can't make it that day. I don't know what other kinds of SSTs could be needed (80 series rear wheel bearings for example?), but if you have a need I'm sure someone in the club could fill in that need for the day.

Bottom line: if you have simple maintenance needed to be done on your truck - great, bring it in! If you don't - great, come anyway and hang out! :thumb:

I'm going to have signup sheets at the next meeting so that I can gauge what people will want to be doing and I can secure parts from our friendly local Toyota dealer, and then have an invoice at the WBPP for reimbursement.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I called the Do It Yourself place and they can't help us out. They said that they would loose to much money.

I can do it on Saturdays as long as I am not traveling.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
What was that place called Tom? CIS? Thanks for chasing that up

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Hey Matt,

I forgot to catch you at the meeting about sign up sheets for this. I am still interested depending on the date. I need to repack my bearings, put in a new front pinion seal, and top off my diffs and trans/tc.