Triple Bypass 2007

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I'm still planning on making this one. Actually seems like a great Roof Top Tent run! :thumb:

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Dorchester Campground has a modern outhouse centrally located in the campground plus an additional two older style outhouses, one at each end of the campground. They have bear proof dumpsters next to the modern outhouse. They used to have a hand pump water well but last year it was plugged. Probably part of the fed's inability to manage their budget. We pay the price for their ineptness. Each campsite also has a fire pit but we will have to pack in our own firewood. There are acres of primitive camping just north of the campground and we've done that years ago. Some of the campers, though, prefer to be close to the outhouse. That's why we stay in the campground.

We will be leaving the Highway 7 and Interstate 25 interchange at 8:00 AM on Friday, August 17th.

We may have more diesels than 40's on this run.

You really going to make it this year, Kevin?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
do we need to reserve camp spots or just show up?

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Just show up. The BLM web site I visited said reservations are not taken for Dorchester. There are 10 campsites at $10 per night. The campground elevation is 9,800 feet and it gets cold at night. Bring a jacket.

Dorchester hasn't been fully occupied in past years. Plus, we usually share the campsites, or at least we fill in the space between campsites with tents, etc.

It's a really cool campground. There is also an antique Forest Service log cabin at the campground that is staffed by a volunteer couple. We visited with them last year. The cabin interior is really cool, pot belly stove and all.

Hope this helps.

sno bored

Trail Ready
I had a great time last year, but I can't make it this year. One of my Irish cousins is traveling around the states with his family. They are going to be in Summit County that weekend.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Here's the trip report from last year if anyone wants to see some pics:

2006 TBP

Definately bring your jackets, as Bruce mentioned. We had some snow and very frosty mornings up there. :thumb:

....well, doesn't look like I'm going to make the flight out this year..... boooooo....
Unless something comes up cheap last minute, and I can get off work.....

anyway, not that this is the right thread, but I'm out there for CEDIA again this year Tue Sept 4th - Friday the 7th.

I would LOVE to come out early or stay late if anyone would be interested in making a run into the mountains :D

wesintl

RS Moderator
Bummer Kris. Someone will probably stage a run that weekend. It should still be nice. Maybe we could do a red cone run..

BTW> TBP I'm in, DTBP I'm in.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
while everyone's prepping for this, please take a moment to write a few comments about the area for cohvco...

Scholfield pass ,Kebler pass, Taylor pass ,Pearl pass ,Cement creek, Taylor reservoir, Tincup pass are all in Gunnison National Forest .
Montrose east to the Continental Divide north to Independence pass and south to Rio Grand national Forest.

"The comments deadline is approaching on the Gunnison NF travel
management implementation. COHVCO is compiling information for the
comments but we have very little info on 4WD trails within the Gunnison
NF. Does anyone have trail info, or know someone that has trail info or
history on a trail, trails, or anything 4WD related for the Gunnison NF
that can help add to the COHVCO comment response and argument for
keeping as many miles of trails open? If you do, please contact me!

Thanks,

Valerie Douglas
303-847-4993"

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I just spoke with Valerie. My letter is on its way to her.

acon40

Banned
Hey guys, i need to pull out. With the recent drop off at Charlies and the condition of my front end, I would rather not risk a issue and slow the day down.......

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Here’s directions to the Dorchester Campground, our starting and ending point on the Triple Bypass trip. We will leave Dorchester at 8:00 AM, Saturday morning the 18th of August.

Drive Interstate 70 west to the C470 exit. Take C470 to the Fairplay/Highway 285 exit and drive south on Highway 285 to the Buena Vista turnoff. At that turnoff, you turn right or north on Highway 24 and drive into town. Get in the left lane. Turn left at Highway 306, the road over Cottonwood Pass. The road is well marked with a sign that says “Cottonwood Pass Open”. The road becomes dirt at the top of Cottonwood Pass and the road number becomes Forest Service road #209. Drive this road until it dead ends at Forest Service road #742. Turn right on road #742 and drive about 10.5 miles to the Dorchester Campground. It will be on your left. It’s well marked.

Dorchester is at 9,800 feet elevation. The evenings get cold. Bring a jacket and bring firewood if you want a fire in camp. There are 10 campsites at $10 per night.

Because we will be driving 54 four wheel drive miles total on this trip, the pace will be fast. We will drive Italian Creek Pass then Pearl Pass then Taylor Pass, in that order. It is important that we make it over Pearl Pass by noon, mainly due to lightning. We will have lunch in Ashcroft at the base of Pearl on the east side.

As the trip date gets closer, please keep us informed about your plans to either make this trip or to cancel out. We would like to know who we should be looking for at Dorchester either Friday evening or early Saturday morning.

Jethro

Bruce,
It looks like I will be able to go!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Bruce, I am having to bail on this trip. The Jenny Creek Kiosk needs volunteers for the weekend following the TBP and my wife won't tolerate me being gone three weekends in a row... Rally, TBP, Jenny Creek. Thanks again, I had a great time last year.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Bruce, I am having to bail on this trip. The Jenny Creek Kiosk needs volunteers for the weekend following the TBP and my wife won't tolerate me being gone three weekends in a row... Rally, TBP, Jenny Creek. Thanks again, I had a great time last year.

Bruce and Barb,
I am in the same boat as Martin, sorta. I should go to Greeley on the 17th and 18th and help my brother sell my Moms stuff at a garage sale. Following week I'm headed to Fla to my other brothers wedding and of course this week is the Rally. Sometime in the next couple weeks I need to commit some time at Jenny Creek. I'm sorry, I'm already jonesin', I miss you guys....have fun!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Bruce,
Will give you a firm answer in the next day or so.

If I decide to drive up that morning, what time would you estimate the run will be over Saturday in case I/we need to be home on Sunday.

Working between school starting and other activities.

Thanks

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Farnhams family is in for sure. I may bring my friend Scott with red '80 pick-up. We may arrive thurday pm.

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
We will leave Dorchester Campground at 8:00AM sharp on Saturday morning. If all goes as planned, we should arrive back at the campground at 6:00 PM Saturday.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Bruce, the Romer's won't be able to make it this year. I hope you do this again next year.