For Sale Todays Craigslist Highlights...Part 3

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Now my chickens each lay 5.8 eggs a week. How many chickens do you need to buy to be able to afford the 40 in only 25 years?

Heckraiser

I love the comment "please do not reach out to me if you haven't spoken to your wife first." 😄

00J0J_4RaVMaBTosE_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Mine stopped laying once it got frigid cold...I'm lucky to get one egg/day, right now
put an incandescent lamp in there and leave it on til about 8pm or so. artificial daylight and heat will keep production up

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Mine stopped laying once it got frigid cold...I'm lucky to get one egg/day, right now
Somehow Craigslist became a conversation about chickens … when I had my small flock I did a mix of heritage breeds and production breeds. The production birds really only stopped laying for 2-3 weeks on either side of the solstice in December. Like @nuclearlemon said, I used a heat lamp on a timer and that cut the production birds down to only 2-3 weeks TOTAL of no eggs per year. The heritage birds would have a longer dry spell. I’ll say the heritage birds were far more sociable and took to handling better, the production birds were little as*holes. That was kind of a factor at the time because my kids were little and liked chasing the birds around.

I’ve been thinking about getting back into chickens, but I’m pretty sure this dog I have would eat them. He’s got a strong prey drive … there are dead squirrels buried all over the back yard.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
There's stuff going around online about chicken feed and chickens not producing. Switching to table scraps or other food and suddenly chickens produce. Might be worth trying new food.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
There's stuff going around online about chicken feed and chickens not producing. Switching to table scraps or other food and suddenly chickens produce. Might be worth trying new food.
Ill chime in as we have chickens and like others, we have had the same experience. I was told that giving them Cayenne pepper in the feed will help too.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i've heard that too. mine were freerange on my farm, so plenty to eat and they were my garbage disposals.
Ill chime in as we have chickens and like others, we have had the same experience. I was told that giving them Cayenne pepper in the feed will help too.
does the cayenne flavor the eggs? i know garlic will, so don't feed them scraps with garlic

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
i've heard that too. mine were freerange on my farm, so plenty to eat and they were my garbage disposals.

does the cayenne flavor the eggs? i know garlic will, so don't feed them scraps with garlic
Does it make the eggs taste like garlic? If so that's a win in my book. Ever since living with a couple where the wife was like 2nd generation Italian I can do garlic on anything lol.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Does it make the eggs taste like garlic? If so that's a win in my book. Ever since living with a couple where the wife was like 2nd generation Italian I can do garlic on anything lol.
I was going to ask the same thing! if anyone has any garlic spiked eggs I'd love to try a couple.

And that '82 40 looks almost exactly like the one I bought a few years back. Wild how that beautiful olive green ages to that poopy brown color like that. @rckhound Steve I've got the paint formula if you get this one.

Coyote

I suppose that makes sense Steve -- so extensive rust repair or a hard to find late model tub swap? Wish I had one for ya!!