Bender - The Silver 60

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
We are going to restore and build out the 60. I have been pretty spotty about build threads before and hope to improve with this one.

The current plan is a cosmetic and mechanical restoration followed by a mild build out. The 80 will take care of our harder wheeling needs. The 60 is going to fill a new role as our cool cruiser, weekend driver, and camping rig. Because we plan to use the truck once its finished I decided to go with a frame on restoration. We don't want a finished product so nice we will hesitate to use it. There are some corrosion issues around the rear spring hangers and shock mount crossbar. The rest of the frame is in great shape.

Truck History
This was a BAT truck that I found back in May. Admittedly I had a few beers on memorial day and did not expect to win the bidding. We ended up with a nice truck with quite a few modifications I already planned to add. Here is a link to the original listing. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-toyota-land-cruiser-fj60-127/

The ARB front bumper, LRA tank, Newish 5 speed, window tint, OME lift, and 10k winch were all on the build list so this truck did make a ton of sense. It is a 1987 with 160k that has already been through a handful of owners. Life started in Virginia then moved to Tennessee in 2016. The vehicle then bounced between 5 owners. There was a bit of covid flipping in 2021 and it switched hands 3 of the 5 times between 21 and 23. Looking at the maintenance records we received the previous owner purchased it for $31,500 at a classic car consignment dealer and only had it for a few months. He was pretty disappointed in the final sale price when we spoke after the auction closed. I was able to track the vehicle down to a LC group in Nashville but it looks like they only have an instagram page. I don't really use social media but did toy with the idea of trying to hunt down a previous owner to get some history. The group was Music City Cruisers if anyone happens to have a contact.

Time under our ownership
When the truck first arrived the transport vehicle overheated climbing up I70 and we drove out to meet the driver at the chain station near Georgetown. That whole story was detailed in my thread looking for purchase advice. The short version is that we had to push a dead vehicle off the trailer to get the 60 down, then winch it back on to a different spot. The evening ended with a late night drive back to Silverthorne hoping the truck was in good shape. Thankfully there were no mechanical issues and we had enough gas in the tank to get it home. The owner and listing had presented the vehicle as having original paint but it was quickly evident it had a 7/10 respray at some point in the last few years. Not a bad job but some overspray issues on the window gaskets. The rust was only in the regular spots and I was really pleased with the purchase until I went to spray out the frame rails at the carwash and saw the pressure washer blasting what looked like clean metal away. The problem spots were loaded with mouse nesting material and must have been holding water for years. Once I got over my disappointment at the discovery I reached out to the folks at Proffits and sent them a few photos. By that point I had hit the whole area with a wire wheel and punch to get a good idea of the damage. They were confident the frame could be properly repaired and a full swap was not necessary.

The truck then went into daily driver duty from June until mid November. This included multiple trips over Vail and Independence pass since we moved from Silverthorne to Snowmass towards the end of the summer. The first week I had the truck the rear brake line gave out from a small rust spot right where it passed over the nasty part of the frame. To my great surprise all of the brake line retaining clip bolts came out without a fuss and a replacement from SOR arrived a few days later and she was back on the road. Good opportunity for a brake flush anyways. Other than that I have had zero issues with the truck over the last 8000 miles.

The money pit build begins
I had reached out to Rust Doctor after looking at the work he did on @Telly 60. I had a general idea of what the pricing was going to look like for the full workup and we traded a few phone calls and emails discussing the problem spots on the frame. Jason's work looked really impressive and he has repaired so many 60s I was confident he was the right man for the job. We spent quite a while debating if it was worth the expense and ultimately decided to move forward. I really love the 60 platform and it puts a smile on my face anytime I drive it. We had considered a 40 but after spending two consecutive summers in a FJ Cruiser running tube doors we have really grown to appreciate heat, AC, and windows. When all is said and done we will have the equivalent of a new modern 4x4 in this truck, and I am okay with that.

I do not want to cut any corners with this build. My first Toyota build out was a 2008 FJ Cruiser. That truck was really great to me but nearly every modification came as a craigslist purchase. 2nd or 3rd hand everything. At the time I was single and had no money to throw at nice parts. Because of this the build was completely random with no end goal in mind. I learned to wrench on that truck and did every bit of work myself other than the body mount chop that was outsourced to Slee. That vehicle was sold in 2018 right after we purchased our current 80 series.

The 80 was the next vehicle I built out and although I did cut a few corners in the beginning the end result has been fantastic. This 60 build is going to be well planned and well executed. For the first time I have a real heated garage and other vehicles for daily transport. Extended downtime is no concern.

20230610_081530.jpg

Build plans and more info to come!

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Bodywork Begins!

Thanksgiving weekend we gutted the truck from the windows down. There was no observable rust or bondo work on the roof so I opted to leave the headliner in place. The headliner is in great shape and I did not want to deal with the hassle of pulling it. I did consider the need to add sound deadening to the roof, but I assume that 90% of the road noise translates through the doors, floor, and rear wheel arches.

Here is a slathering of pre body work photos showing the worst of the rust areas. This will be a photo heavy thread.
20230616_094958.jpg

20230616_095006.jpg
20230616_095030.jpg
20230616_115458.jpg
20230616_115506.jpg
20230618_141609.jpg
20230618_141615.jpg
20230618_141617.jpg
20230618_141648.jpg
20230618_141729.jpg
20230618_141736.jpg
20230618_141739.jpg
20230618_141746.jpg

Attachments

• 20230618_141654.jpg
    20230618_141654.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Interior after everything was pulled. Note the big old rust holes at the rear seat mounting points. This is where the rust came through the body near the wheel well spot that Jason calls the "fingers". Now I know where all the road noise was coming from on the long highway trips. Thankfully there were no additional rust spots discovered on the floor.

20231125_215944.jpg
20231125_220245.jpg
20231125_220251.jpg
20231125_220256.jpg
20231125_220315.jpg
20231125_220319.jpg

Last edited:

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Rust Doctor

The next few posts will document the vehicles time with the Rust Doctor. I got a good tour of their shop when we dropped off the vehicle. The photos on their website do not do it justice. There were 3 other 60s in the shop all in various states of restoration. Korbin, the shop manager, showed me a few different trucks and talked through the restoration process. I was most interested in how the frame repairs could be handled without removing the body. After seeing a 62 and 40 that had been completed I was beyond impressed. They do a really good job of properly prepping and masking. We decided to go ahead and drop the fuel tank which will also be repainted as part of the process. I plan to stick with the factory silver color. Part of me wanted to go dark dark blue, but the silver is just too classy.

When we first spoke in July I planned to leave the 60 with Jason all winter. I did not expect them to start so quickly and was surprised to see an e-mail Monday night with progress photos. The communication process has been fantastic with daily updates and photos.

Off to the races!

Day 1 - 15hrs labor.
IMG_6458.jpg
IMG_6460.jpg
IMG_6461.jpg
IMG_6462.jpg
IMG_6471.jpg
IMG_6483.jpg
IMG_6485.jpg
IMG_6487.jpg
IMG_6511.jpg
IMG_6512.jpg

We opted to remove the snake blinder trim to prevent future rust. If anyone wants some in good shape let me know!
IMG_6513.jpg
IMG_6515.jpg
IMG_6521.jpg

Last edited:

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Day Two - 9 hours

Note the significant leak from the PS pump that started on the drive out there. The fluid was gross but I expect a rebuild will be needed. Impressive metal work in the wheel wells and the snake blinder trim holes are filled.

IMG_6568.jpg
IMG_6569.jpg
IMG_6597.jpg
IMG_6598.jpg
IMG_6605.jpg
IMG_6606.jpg
IMG_6652.jpg
IMG_6653.jpg
IMG_6654.jpg
IMG_6655.jpg

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Day 4 - 8hrs.

Some surprise bondo work on the fenders over rust. Clearly the prior body work was done in a rush. The work here rebuilding the fender contour really impressed me. Jason also found a bondo repair behind the driver rear mudflap.
IMG_6827.jpg
IMG_6861.jpg
IMG_6862.jpg
IMG_6863.jpg
IMG_6864.jpg
IMG_6865.jpg
IMG_6877.jpg
IMG_6886.jpg
IMG_6889.jpg
IMG_6906.jpg
IMG_6935.jpg
IMG_6936.jpg
image.png

Last edited:

shellb

Hard Core 4+
Looking awesome! Going to be a great rig when it's all said and done.

Those guys work fast with quality...love that.

I want them to do my 68 Bronco, especially if they are delivering a rig back to the front range and are empty for the return leg. Someone put in a good word for me!

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Looking awesome! Going to be a great rig when it's all said and done.

Those guys work fast with quality...love that.

I want them to do my 68 Bronco, especially if they are delivering a rig back to the front range and are empty for the return leg. Someone put in a good word for me!
They had a Bronco in there that looked fantastic. Wish I took some photos.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Wow, our 60s are so much alike! Same color even. Mine had 163k on it when I got it. The rust spots are almost the same as on mine, although I've already repaired my frame where the right rear spring hanger mounts, and have already repaired the shock mount cross member. The only other obvious differences I can see are that mine has the 4x4 labs rear bumper and trail gear sliders. Also my ARB is for the 8274 rather than the low profile winches.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Oh, one more thing, if they didn't weld them shut already, I found that the holes where I took my snake blinders off can be plugged up perfectly with the rubber plugs that are used to cover the adjusting holes on the inside of the rear brake backing plates.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Wow, our 60s are so much alike! Same color even. Mine had 163k on it when I got it. The rust spots are almost the same as on mine, although I've already repaired my frame where the right rear spring hanger mounts, and have already repaired the shock mount cross member. The only other obvious differences I can see are that mine has the 4x4 labs rear bumper and trail gear sliders. Also my ARB is for the 8274 rather than the low profile winches.
How do you like the 4x4 labs?

I am between that and the 4 plus rear. Dobinson's is off the table since the spare is mounted on the passenger side. I have a 4x4 labs on the 80 and absolutely love it but I kinda want to go a different way on the 60. The 4 plus expedition rear has all the features I want and looks great. It does leave those rear quarter panels exposed which I am currently paying some $$$ to make pretty. How often have you landed on it?

4x4 Labs seems to have raised prices recently as a built 60 bumper with swingouts is now over 4k before shipping. The 4 plus is significantly more affordable.

Those snake blinder holes already got welded shut! This truck has enough silver on it.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
How do you like the 4x4 labs?

I am between that and the 4 plus rear. Dobinson's is off the table since the spare is mounted on the passenger side. I have a 4x4 labs on the 80 and absolutely love it but I kinda want to go a different way on the 60. The 4 plus expedition rear has all the features I want and looks great. It does leave those rear quarter panels exposed which I am currently paying some $$$ to make pretty. How often have you landed on it?

4x4 Labs seems to have raised prices recently as a built 60 bumper with swingouts is now over 4k before shipping. The 4 plus is significantly more affordable.

Those snake blinder holes already got welded shut! This truck has enough silver on it.

I love the 4x4 Labs, by far the best rear bumper I could find for my 60. Best departure angle, beefiest (basically replaces the rear frame crossmember) and protects the rear quarters. I landed on a rear quarter sliding sideways on an off camber section of Jenny Creek trail during a Rising Sun cleanup run just after I had my 60 repainted and before I got the 4x4x Labs :cry:

Took it to 3 different body shops and got 3 different no-bids. I ended up cutting out the crumpled section, beating it on a piece of firewood that had the right radius with a rubber mallet, then welding it back in, grinding down the weld tacks, then bondo, sand, bondo, sand, repeat until perfect, then had it repainted.

Looking back through emails just now, I paid $995 for the 4x4 Labs as a kit in 2013. IIRC it was $400 more to buy it already built. Dual swing out, spare carrier but no ladder. I would have preferred the spare on the passenger side as I now have a slight driver's side lean. Maybe one of these days I should add a leaf on that side of my OME leaves.

IMGP4583.JPG