Spooky Night Run - October 28

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
subzali said:
I thought I was in front of you, that's why you slid, from me having to spin my tires like a banshee just to climb that hill. And then we pulled off and you got around us at the top of that hill. Is that right?:confused: Anyway don't go slidin' into any more trucks 'fore you get some. Actually you'll be getting your own butt more once you have chains and decide not to use them and slide into a truck :hill:

Get real tires and you don't need no stinkin' chains! ;) :hill:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I got new tires.:rolleyes: :cool: :D I'm still gonna take my chains just in case though;)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I'm still gonna take my chains just in case though

So Subzali, you in for the night run now? I'll do grilled portabellos for you & your pops if so..

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
No, got a church get-together that I can't squeeze out of...been in the works for months so there's nothing I can do. You can drive my truck at the November meeting though!:thumb:

As far as tires, got them in June, have done Spring Creek, Chinaman's, TBP and Ghost Town Run with them and very happy! Looks like Front Range Tire went out of business, so had to go to Discount so I could get the lifetime balance/road hazard, but now I should be set! Was going to take Brahma to Moab last weekend, but that trip ended up not happening, so hopefully I'll get to play in the snow soon (thinking Slaughterhouse in the next couple weeks?) + Moab for sure in Dec/Jan, and then Snow/Pizza run. Anyway, /hijack.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Treeroot & I snuck up there on Saturday morning. It probably snowed a foot last Friday night, we only had my 80 on the trail so we didn't try to go too far, for obvious reasons. Made it past the start of Butler Gulch with no problem, made it to the start of "the run" with no problem. Made it across the creek and about 20' up the first hill then quickly buried the truck up to the sliders. Backed down and headed further up the road, and almost made it to the cookout site from last year, but not quite. Again, I was only "half trying" since I wanted to make sure I could back out of whatever I drove into... :)

So the conditions appear ideal: a good group of trucks will have a blast making new tracks in the run, and everyone will have a bit of an adventure making it up to the cookout site. There's actually a bigger and more accessible cookout site that we can go to, I'll call it site 2 on the map.

Attachments

• jones.JPG
    jones.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 262

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
On our way back down the hill a stock Explorer drove up to the start of Butler Gulch to do some X-Country skiing, then we were passed by a dude in a Forrester making his way up the road. I suspect by the end of the weekend 20 more cars drove up there, so the road should be pretty well packed down. I doubt anyone has tried the alternate run though, that should still be untracked. :D

And it's been sunny up there all week, supposed to cloud up again tomorrow but then be sunny again Friday & Saturday.

Attachments

• weather.JPG
    weather.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 211

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I will be cooking burgers & brats for everyone, feel free to bring any chips or other side dishes you'd like to share. And bring your boots, lots of warm clothes, and a SHOVEL. We will use it! Burger King at 17:00, see you then!!

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Suzie and I will be there along with the dogs and we, dogs included, love grilled portabellos, Tim. ;) Haven't done much wheeling since Moab so I hope I haven't forgotten how. Will be bringing chains but I will be staying far away from Cheeseman if he makes it on the trip. :hill: See you Saturday.

nakman said:
I will be cooking burgers & brats for everyone, feel free to bring any chips or other side dishes you'd like to share. And bring your boots, lots of warm clothes, and a SHOVEL. We will use it! Burger King at 17:00, see you then!!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Crash said:
Suzie and I will be there along with the dogs and we, dogs included, love grilled portabellos, Tim. ;) Haven't done much wheeling since Moab so I hope I haven't forgotten how. Will be bringing chains but I will be staying far away from Cheeseman if he makes it on the trip. :hill: See you Saturday.

If someones has an empty seat I might keep it warm for ya. Popped the headgasket on the 80 yesterday coming home on the west side of Eisenhower. :( I have been expecting it to happen but wanted to see how long it would go since its had green coolant instead of red most of its life....175k and under boost....not bad! Oh and BTW.....no signs of weepage nor has the PHH bulged or leaked! Go green! :bowdown: :cheers:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Uncle B, plenty of open seats here.. you got it home alright I take it? And I see you agree with your neighbor on the green vs. red debate... :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
nakman said:
Uncle B, plenty of open seats here.. you got it home alright I take it? And I see you agree with your neighbor on the green vs. red debate... :rolleyes:

Thanks Tim! I was worried but I obviously forgot I was in a Land Cruiser so of course I got home! Yessir green is good! No worries as mechanical failure is ALWAYS an opportunity to upgrade! :thumb: :hill: :bowdown: :Princess:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I will probably make it. I will be executing my 40th birthday present Sat. AM so it should make for a very adventurous day for me. I will be in combat against my dad over the eastern plains in "The fighter pilot experience" - http://www.skyfighters.com/index.htm

Oh, and MTR's rule in the snow! As long as there not 12.5" wide.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
JadeRunner said:
I will probably make it. I will be executing my 40th birthday present Sat. AM so it should make for a very adventurous day for me. I will be in combat against my dad over the eastern plains in "The fighter pilot experience" - http://www.skyfighters.com/index.htm

Oh, and MTR's rule in the snow! As long as there not 12.5" wide.

OMG! What an experiance you will never ever forget! :cool:

MTR's are OK. ;)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Nakman:

doug tebbe here/tacoma 96/11thcavdrt. might not be able to make the run
ive been fighting a real bad cold that has turned into a bad case of bronchit-
ics. if the meds/drugs the doc gave me start kicking in faster i might still
try and make it, if i dont everyone else have a great time!!!

11thcavdrt/tacoma 96

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
No worries Doug, thanks! We'll see you again on the next one if you can't make it out.. get healthy that's a lot more important.

See the rest of ya out there tomorrow, 17:00.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
So what's the avalanche picture for Jones Pass? Things are really unstable after this snow...
And I see several chutes on the topo, leading up to the pass right after US 40.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Red_Chili said:
So what's the avalanche picture for Jones Pass? Things are really unstable after this snow...
And I see several chutes on the topo, leading up to the pass right after US 40.

Looks to me like the route doesn't go all the way up the pass, and probably not above treeline. All the new snow should make it fun! :D

attachment.php

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Right, we're pretty far down in the trees, I don't recall seeing any chutes where we'll be at. In fact, if there's a ton of snow then the cookout site may end up being the parking lot at the bottom of the pass, and the "run" may be just the first part of the pass... time will tell. anyone have a sled they could toss in?