RTZ's 98 4runner

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Actually the rumors of two different sway bars might not be true. Went to Adam's and looked at the bar that came from the donor truck which he picked up after breaking his on a run back in summer. Our two bars are identical in every way. I suppose it's possible though that the donor had an elocker swapped in at one point and was still running the other sway bar but I'm skeptical of that. Looks like I'm going to have to use relocation brackets or figure something else out. At least for now I have the front sway connected and it actually does a great job by itself but I know having a rear sway bar actually helps the front articulate more when it's disconnected.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
At least for now I have the front sway connected and it actually does a great job by itself but I know having a rear sway bar actually helps the front articulate more when it's disconnected.
Are you saying anti-sway bar(s) connected will be better for articulation? I'm not sure I follow the train of thought. I've always punted them, though, so I haven't any comparable experience with vs without.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I haven't had a rear on ours in 6+ years. No problems. It's fun to lift a tire here and there.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Started noticing a clunk in the front end, took a look around and noticed that it looks like my UCA bushings are needing attention now ><

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
If you go with aftermarket arms, I would stay away from the uniball design.
I plan to do that. JBA is probably the one I'm looking at most seriously. I've been hearing SPC's recent quality has gone way down.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Well looks like today will be my painting day for the bumper. Flap disked and painted the frame horns up just a bit ago. Got the bumper mostly cleaned up and about to hang it and setup my paint booth again once I'm off work. Also cleaned up some burrs here and there on the bumper and rounded out the top edge of the fairlead cutout so that I don't go cutting my nice synthetic line on that. Griding wheel and dremel ftw. Really glad I picked up a grinder recently on a HF free tool with battery and charger purchase. I was a little skeptical of the need for another charger but it already came in handy a few times. Really hoping I can wrap this up and have the bumper reinstalled tomorrow so I can have it on the toy drive trail run (although sans winch as I have to do some modification to to get everything to fit, Apex Badlands is such a huge winch ><). Still on the fence but I'm honestly thinking of painting the bumper a bright green instead of the usually grey or black.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Found my clunk. Passenger UBJ is SLOPPY. Like 1/4" wiggling tire at 12 and 6. I'm definitely not wheeling this weekend unless someone wants a passenger....

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

Cool, I like Tinkerer's videos. He's a dude after my own heart.

Pickups and Tacoma never have had a rear anti-sway bar but they have leaf springs and usually longer wheelbases (except for regular cabs). So it's of course somewhat apples-to-squirrels.

I think what Kai is explaining is that anti-sways never increase articulation on the axle they're mounted to. But depending on your suspension might help to balance it. Especially stock our trucks usually have a lot more to give in the rear and so by limiting it and putting that force through the chassis you can get the opposite axle to travel more.

vlcsnap-2023-11-16-19h00m14s437.png

Clickable link to his channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6XtYxepOgzORaxKt1d-8Lg

Last edited:

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Correction, 1/8" of slop

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
FWIW I'm happy with my Camburg UCAs that use OEM ball joints (or now their own X Joint). I don't know if that's even an option on a 3rd gen 4Runner, though.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
img_20231116_183420759-jpg.123225

Got it all primed. Made the mistake of buying this stuff. The overspray is insane on this stuff. I went through the whole can in 10 minutes and didn't even get the whole bumper covered. My drop cloth was sticking to my boots, is was stupid. You also can't swap the nozzle.
IMG_20231116_194936971.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231116_183420759.jpg
    IMG_20231116_183420759.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 91

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Goodies to clean up wiring. Also ordered sliders from 4xI. Man I'm spending a lot on this truck the last two months ><. Spending should be done for a while. I'll eventually get a proper bumper but I think stuck will work well enough for now. That and a gas tank skid are like the only two pieces of armor left to get.
IMG_20231117_205750733.jpg

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Suspension is rebuilt fully now woohoo!
IMG_20231122_100414696_HDR.jpg

Old Bal joints were absolutely clapped, this was the side without slop. They were both crying for a merciful death which I obliged when I had to cut off the studs with a grinder to fit the ball joint press over them. Boy chasing a ball joint stud with a cutoff wheel is fun and by fun I mean sketchy.
IMG_20231121_204100394.jpg

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Well damn now bad news. When installing the ball joint adapters into my spindles I noticed that one of them pressed in without much effort. It also started spinning on me when I went to torque the nut for the ball joint. Called up JBA and talked to an incredibly knowledgeable guy named Charles there for half an hour (got to pick his brain about all sorts of cool things with suspension, dude is a treasure trove of knowledge). Anyways sounds like my spindles are at the end of their life now too, that press pocket is just worn.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'd have to verify on 1st gen Tacoma/3rd gen 4R but on 2003+ 4Runner and 2005+ Tacoma it's possible to have the wrong spindle and the tapers are not the same. You'd get the same effect where the BJ taper mismatch causes issues. You can use 4Runner spindles on a Tacoma but you have to use the matching upper ball joint if you do.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Well I was looking around at options and called Yota1 as they sell refurbished knuckles. Talked to the guy that does just that job. He stated that I should be fine as long as it was some amount of press for which it was. Definitely going to go with them eventually when my bearings start showing signs of failing. Would love more opinions though. I also got my bumper installed as well as new Perry Parts front bumps.
IMG_20231122_152342358.jpg
IMG_20231122_152849063_HDR.jpg