Technical...
Have jigsaw, check.
have masking tape, check.
have reckless abandon... check.

Bring it on over... :brick:

On second thought...

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Fun test to watch :thumb: - Now, if you could only find a wind tunnel with a smoke system to test in :hill:

Looks like the airflow is smoother the further toward the front of the hood you go and pretty good where you have the scoop sitting. At least the yarn isn't blowing forward or up (low pressure) as it appears to be toward the rear PS of the hood (might just be because is was stuck to the tape?).

I'm still wondering though, the scoop will hopefully get some cooler air into the bay but will simply mixing hot with cooler air be enough to get the desired results? Or will you also have to figure out a way to also exhaust some of the hot/mixed air out? I'm not found of the look but have you given thought to or tried raising the rear of the hood with spacers like some on MUD have done? That would be reversible if it doesn't work :)

On the scoop, if you mount it forward can you in turn mount it backward after the fact using the same holes - I assume it is held down with bolts/screws?. If not, then maybe you could cut the hole and tape the scoop in place before final attachment and try it both in a forward and rearward facing configurations to see what nets the best results.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
If you do it then Jim's plate suggestion will fit! :Princess:

geighty? Only 40th anniversary sage can be considered ghey :p:. (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Sorry Romer....I took my foot prints from your thread over to Mikes thread out of respect for you sir! I am sorry!!!

Last edited:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
No problem, curious what your opinion is on the results of my yarn test though :D

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
No problem, curious what your opinion is on the results of my yarn test though :D

It will be interesting on what your results will be after you cut it! Personally, I don't expect results that would outweigh the hole in the hood! I hope I'm wrong! Air circulation needs to increase which means hot air needs to leave before cool air can enter....I haven't yet see hot air go down without being drawn out. How will you control snow and water?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I haven't had any input yet, but I'll throw in :twocents:. I would first wonder with Jeff if you can mount the hood in both directions, for testing sake.

In my humble opinion, having the scoop backwards would help draw hot air out. Hot air rises and would tend to accumulate at the top, so if the scoop faced forward it would force the air back down, and yes it might mix and cool a little bit, but there would still be a lot of hot air under the hood. Having it backwards would draw hot air out, and the wash of the fan would only aid in serving as an extra motive to push the air through. Bernoulli's Principle states that the higher velocity of a fluid over a surface, the lower the pressure is going to be. To me the motion of the streamers being straight back and not fluttering (technical term ;) ) is exactly what I try to find on my sailboat, when the flow is laminar that's when you get maximum drive off the sail. I would think in this case it would be similar - the laminar flow of air across the hood creates a low pressure zone that would naturally draw air out of the engine bay if the hood were facing backward. Then arguably cooler air would be allowed in through the radiator, under the truck, etc. That's a little less than :twocents: worth, so take it for that.

Do other 80 series owners not have this problem? Are you the first one to cut your hood? If you don't get the results you want, what's a hood swap among friends? :D I'm sure some would want it if only for looks :D

wesintl

RS Moderator
simple.. one facing forward drawing air in.. the other facing back drawing air out. Personally i'd pull the hood and run it michigan style :hill:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Make a custom mesh hood! :D