Recommendation on where to get hood cut

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Got a hood scoop and it was the one Oleg was talking to me about before he got ill. Now all I need to do is install it. Another guy on Mud installed the same one without cutting the supports underneath, just the top metal. Figure lots of tape to protect the hood, measure and mark and check 4 times and then saw time.

I did the snorkel using someone elses write-up. This is kind of new territory and either need to take it to a shop (body shop) or get someones help who has the right tools and know how.

Any recommendations?

Attachments

• P1010686.JPG
    P1010686.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,349
  • P1010687.JPG
    P1010687.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 246

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Terry, the guy that did all the work on Red_Chili's rig could do a good job.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Before you butcher your hood you might give it some more thought. The last thing a SC'ed 80 needs is more air under the hood....they need to get rid of the heat. Ask Gary....he's already played this game. Louvers will lower you underhood temps a lot better than a scoop. Turn the scoop around backwards and you'll do more good!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Before you butcher your hood you might give it some more thought. The last thing a SC'ed 80 needs is more air under the hood....they need to get rid of the heat. Ask Gary....he's already played this game. Louvers will lower you underhood temps a lot better than a scoop. Turn the scoop around backwards and you'll do more good!

Thanks for the perspective Kevin. Hopefully Gary will post up here. This was a mod Oleg and I had discussed to get rid of some of the heat under the hood. Still more than I would like. I don't understand why more air blowing in would hurt anything as the airflow is a sealed intake up to the snorkel. More air should cool down the external surfaces or create more flow to get some of the heat out. Please help me understand why this is a bad thing.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the perspective Kevin. Hopefully Gary will post up here. This was a mod Oleg and I had discussed to get rid of some of the heat under the hood. Still more than I would like. I don't understand why more air blowing in would hurt anything as the airflow is a sealed intake up to the snorkel. More air should cool down the external surfaces or create more flow to get some of the heat out. Please help me understand why this is a bad thing.

Heat rises not sinks! The scoop will help a tad bit as heat will actually come out of the hole around town as the pressure will be greater under the hood from the super heated air will overcome the low amount of forced air going in. On the highway the air right above the hood is actually more neutral because of the aerodynamics of the wind being pushed up at the large vertical grill and over the windshield. many places on the hood actually have negative pressure. Sports car hoods have more vertical surface area than your 80 does plus they have airdams and air tunnel designed grills to force more air through the radiator and also slice through the air friction rather than push it.
I'm sure the scoop will have some positive cooling effects but I think you will be disappointed on how little it will help. Your snorkel would actually cause more circulation under the hood from the forced air generated if it was not attached to the air box. The best thing you could engineer for our heat problem in these beasts is a way to encourage hot air extraction. Everything we do to make these trucks better off road complicates the air circulation under the hood!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I found this thread where he wanted to get rid of it, different scoop. Didn't say why he wanted to get rid of it.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=21124

He also had another thread where his supercharger wasn't running as well as he thought it should. Didn't post his fanal result, did say the scoop made the temps under the hood cooler.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=26693

I found his write-up on the louveres http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=21162
He said he prefered the look of these to the hood scoop. I would go the other way around. A personal preference thing.

There was a comment from christo 3rd handed
I think it was Christo that said trying to jam more air in with a scoop without a good line for it to go out was not a good idea.

Considering it like you suggested Kev.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Heat rises not sinks! The scoop will help a tad bit as heat will actually come out of the hole around town as the pressure will be greater under the hood from the super heated air will overcome the low amount of forced air going in. On the highway the air right above the hood is actually more neutral because of the aerodynamics of the wind being pushed up at the large vertical grill and over the windshield. many places on the hood actually have negative pressure. Sports car hoods have more vertical surface area than your 80 does plus they have airdams and air tunnel designed grills to force more air through the radiator and also slice through the air friction rather than push it.
I'm sure the scoop will have some positive cooling effects but I think you will be disappointed on how little it will help. Your snorkel would actually cause more circulation under the hood from the forced air generated if it was not attached to the air box. The best thing you could engineer for our heat problem in these beasts is a way to encourage hot air extraction. Everything we do to make these trucks better off road complicates the air circulation under the hood!

Good points. The guy who installed it on mud and in some other threads I read installed it to provide air for his intercooler for his super charger.

Hmmm, maybe I need to install blarsens (from mud) intercooler and then the scoop. Hmmm. Then more power and cooler.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=149478

Still like to hear what Gary has to say.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Good points. The guy who installed it on mud and in some other threads I read installed it to provide air for his intercooler for his super charger.

Hmmm, maybe I need to install blarsens (from mud) intercooler and then the scoop. Hmmm. Then more power and cooler.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=149478

Still like to hear what Gary has to say.

I have read those posts. Unless his scoop is about 3 or more inches higher so it is actually in the airstream I question how much intercooling effect he is REALLY getting! Drag racers don't have hood scoops to cool engines but rather to supply cool air to the carb/throttle bodys and if you notice they are tall scoops so they will actually have some ram air effect.

Gary might pop in, hopefully he does. I asked him if the scoop on his 80 helped and he stated pretty much the same thing I did on the earlier post.

Side note: I do think they look kinda cool on the 80 hood! I am more into function though and if I punched up sheetmetal whatever I'm doing needs to be worth the loss of resale value!

Your buddy Dan has by far a higher efficiency intercooler than that guy does!

acon40

Banned
Let me know what you find and what they charge.....I have had a scoop in the garage for a couple of months wanting to do this.......

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Let me know what you find and what they charge.....I have had a scoop in the garage for a couple of months wanting to do this.......

I'll post up. Right now it found a comfy spot on my shelf while I take my time deciding if I want to do this. The scoop cost me $20 on ebay so I figured I couldn't go wrong getting it and could always turn around and sell it. So many questions

1) Do I put it on backwards to give a path out for the warm air
2) Do I put in an intercooler and put it on facing front
3) Do I paint it or leave it black to match the snorkel
4) Do I take the $40 a guy on Mud offered me via PM
5) When does Ige switch from Jack and 7 (summer drink) to Jack and coke (winter drink)

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I'll post up. Right now it found a comfy spot on my shelf while I take my time deciding if I want to do this. The scoop cost me $20 on ebay so I figured I couldn't go wrong getting it and could always turn around and sell it. So many questions

1) Do I put it on backwards to give a path out for the warm air
2) Do I put in an intercooler and put it on facing front
3) Do I paint it or leave it black to match the snorkel
4) Do I take the $40 a guy on Mud offered me via PM
5) When does Ige switch from Jack and 7 (summer drink) to Jack and coke (winter drink)

I vote for #4. I can tell you the answer to #5 is NOT Labor Day. :D

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Ken-

Don't flip it around... you will have to answer every yahoo in america why you installed your air scoop on "backwards" everytime you park your truck, and then listen to their explaination of why what you did was wrong.

Just my .02

Now louvers like a 40 on a Lexus... SWEET!

Drew

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
6) Buy an even bigger scoop. Straight pipe the exhaust out the hood. Install bigger tires in the rear and smaller tires in the front and get some sweet rat-fink graphics custom painted on the sides. top it all off with an 8-ball shifter.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
6) Buy an even bigger scoop. Straight pipe the exhaust out the hood. Install bigger tires in the rear and smaller tires in the front and get some sweet rat-fink graphics custom painted on the sides. top it all off with an 8-ball shifter.

Better yet just take the hood off! Problem solved....oh but ya gotta do the straight pipes too! :bowdown::flamingo::hill:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
IF you keep it I vote for #2 & #3 but I've been know to like helping others spend their money :hill:

Otherwise, go with #4 and install some louvers...

Heck, go all out and do #2, #3, and install some louvers on top of it all

Ken, The scoop on my truck was installed by the previous owner, but was not cut out to make it functional. I have done many scoops, louvers, vents, etc on vehicles and unless you need cold air to lower intake temps, or for a intercooler, it just doesn't help. I made mine functional and saw a small reduction in under hood temps but no difference in intake temps. I would not cut a hole in my hood for a scoop that small regardless which way it points. If you are wanting to lower underhood temps it will take more cool air than that small scoop can take in or let out. The only truck I have vented the engine bay that actually helped was an LT1 80 series that lives in Florida. AC is never turned off and the truck is in stop and go traffic daily. I louvered the hood in 5 rows which allowed quite a bit air to escape dropping underhood temps 20 degrees at rest and running down the road helped even more. I wasn't crazy about the idea moisture wise, but 5 years later its still working fine.

Attachments

• i.JPG
    i.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 166
  • h.JPG
    h.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 161

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Gary, thanks for the reply.

The snorkel has done an awesome job in lowering the intake temps by 20 degrees at least on a hot day.

I have the JDM aux fan which when I flip it on does it's job with the AC and a hot day. Just a bit hotter than I would like, but not technically a problem. Oleg and I had chatted about this and thought a hood scoop would help.

Kevin and other guys on mud suggested turning the scoop around. I also saw you contemplated that in one of yopur threads. This would allow an outlet for the hot air rather than an inlet. What are your thoughts about that.

Ken

Turning the scoop around will help draw out the heat running down the road, but I would not know where to mount it so at speed it will not have positive pressure. Turned around front ways will work as a scoop and pull air in at all speeds until the bull bar changes airflow. I guess if I was wanting to get the best result possible from that scoop, I would see whats going on with the air towards the back of the air at hwy speeds. I don't know much about the 80 series as far as aerodynamics go but with the steepness of the windshield I would guess that at the back of the hood you do not have smooth airflow therefore the backwards scoop would not work as well to have the vacuum to help evacuate air. My gut tells me that a front facing scoop about where your mock up is placed would do about as much as anything else. Ultimately, I don't think its worth it. I will cut it for you if you want though.
G