• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Post Thanksgiving day Run 11/23-Old Chinaman Gulch

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
That's what your heater is for!!

NO%20SNIVELING.jpg

wmwahmbulance.jpg

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I got a cracked shock to replace tomorrow (assuming it shows up) - otherwise I'm game. My thin-skinned Arizona dad might do some whining though...

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I have a friend that wants to do some geological huntingup there.. might be in.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I am definitely in if the run is a go - supposed to be snow showery...that will add to the fun for sure :D

bskey

I'm on the edge... I may take the weekend to rebuild my hubs and install my CB......

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I might be bringing my hunting buddy in his (coff coff Jeep coff) 4x4.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
The runs is a go. I can't see having more and an inch or two of snow up there. Yankee may have received 4-8 inches of snow but I can't see changing the venue at this point.

I've been driving around on a broken rear upper control arm. That's the second of those I've broke. Replaced it last night, so I'm set.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You need to throw an All-Pro-like heim jointed set of arms on there, d00d! Failure point in newer 4Runners. They didn't make the arms long or flexy enough.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I'm not seeing this as a failure point for others with 3rd gens. I just searched YotaTech again. Just me. Broke two in 7 years. I'll just get a few spares from my favorite shop in Aurora.

Bighead

Trail Ready
Scott, you are the only one I've heard of breaking the rear upper control arms though I have seen plenty of lower arms break/bend. I'm curious, where are they breaking at and what were you doing when it failed?

Beater

Hard Core 4+
my snow thrower just had oral surgery and 3 teeth pulled.. darnit

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Scott, you are the only one I've heard of breaking the rear upper control arms though I have seen plenty of lower arms break/bend. I'm curious, where are they breaking at and what were you doing when it failed?

They sheer off near the front of the arm. I usually don't know when I do it, so I would imagine it's from hitting bumps on dirt roads at moderate speeds. Not sure. I figure this shouldn't surprise me since I wheel hard and flex out.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
And just like that, I'm out. Good ol' ARB let me down yet again and my replacement shock did not arrive today as promised :rolleyes: Not happy at all with those guys right now. They've had 2+ weeks to deal with my problem, and they dragged their feet and made promises that they haven't been able to keep. A broken seal is one thing, but a shock that's cracked at the base is a safety hazard, and not something I want to take out on the trail and snap off.

Have fun guys. I'll catch you next time.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
A broken seal is one thing, but a shock that's cracked at the base is a safety hazard, and not something I want to take out on the trail and snap off.

dang. that sucks. i had a skyjacker shock snap completely off at the eye. walked out of work one day and wondered what was hanging from under my back end. didn't even have 1k miles on them.

i'm a maybe. maybe with a full load of passengers too. but all maybe's.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
They sheer off near the front of the arm. I usually don't know when I do it, so I would imagine it's from hitting bumps on dirt roads at moderate speeds. Not sure. I figure this shouldn't surprise me since I wheel hard and flex out.
Don't know about Yotatech, but the 2nd gens are a similar design and there just isn't much flex in them. Check your upper control arm mounts on the axle housing as well. They are very vulnerable to tearing off the housing. DAMHIK

Last edited:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
And just like that, I'm out. Good ol' ARB let me down yet again and my replacement shock did not arrive today as promised :rolleyes:

Have fun guys. I'll catch you next time.

That's too bad Matt, I was looking forward to wheelin' with you. PM me if you want to ride with me, I live near Stevenson Toyota. I'll be by myself. My hunting buddies are going pheasant hunting again, my other friends and relatives don't think it would be fun as usual.

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
Wish this was on the 24th or 25th sounds like alot of fun! We're doing our Thanksgiving Celebration on Friday, so can't do Friday. Anyone, doing any wheeling this weekend?

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Looks like a little bit of snow in the forecast, this is going to be an interesting run. See you @ 9:30 @ the truck stop.