• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Post Thanksgiving day Run 11/23-Old Chinaman Gulch

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Friday November 23rd.

Lets plan to leave the Gunsmoke Truckstop in Johnson Village on HWY 285 at about 9:30am. This is 2 hours from Denver so plan to leave early. Air down, fuel up etc. at the truck stop, so we can get going.

Bring tools and spare parts in additional to the standard supplys in case the rocks find a weak spot on your rig.

Armor, skid plates and skill will be your best defense for this trail, it's easy to get into trouble on the optional obstacles (which I usually do). It's tons of fun, pleanty of technical spots to test driver skill to make you either look like a superstar or chump. :thumb:

Last edited:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I might be able to make that. It will be the shakedown offroad run for the rebuilt Chili. I'm sure I will find some 'opportunities', as they say in software...

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Hmmm - my pops will be here. Maybe he'd like to come along to OCG and leave the ladies to the after Thanksgiving retail zoo.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
A possibility for us as well, Scott. I'm in the middle of swapping in an Extreme A440F and a new, low stall speed torque converter, as well as rebuilding the transfer case in the 62. If all goes well and according to plan, we'd like to join you.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Maybe...

Definitely in the "want to" box that is full of things that I want to do. The "in" port is much larger than the "out" :(

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
It will be great if all you guys make it. I can invision a very nice line-up skilled wheelers.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Closer

It will be great if all you guys make it. I can invision a very nice line-up skilled wheelers.

Scott,
Got the new tranny and torque converter in today with mucho help from Dean Baranski. We both learned a bunch and Bart's that much closer to being ready for a shakedown cruise to Chinaman's. T-case rebuild and reinstall are still in the offing but that should happen without fail. Dean might be up for the run too.
:cheers:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Just heard from a long term forecaster that this Thanksgiving is suppose to be the coldest and snowest on record. But what do they know.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Buzzkill!!

:lmao:

Guess I better get the snow thrower ready, warmed up and in the garage...

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Scott,
Got the new tranny and torque converter in today with mucho help from Dean Baranski. We both learned a bunch and Bart's that much closer to being ready for a shakedown cruise to Chinaman's. T-case rebuild and reinstall are still in the offing but that should happen without fail. Dean might be up for the run too.
:cheers:

That would be super if you got your new tranni and t-case all put together for this. Hopefully this will give you the encouragement needed for such a big job. It seems like it's been a long time since we were on that run on Red Elephant Hill in the Spring when your tranni gave out. I'm sure your itchin' beast back on the trail.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Just heard from a long term forecaster that this Thanksgiving is suppose to be the coldest and snowest on record. But what do they know.

I sure wouldn't be fun running Chinaman's with snow and ice on it. I really enjoy taking the technical lines and trying to be as precise as possible.

I know I mentioned I would consider a snow run on Yankee Hill if there is fresh snow. But, I will try to avoid changing the venue, since it it seems like a lot of people are making plans for this. BV usually escapes the snow (but not the cold). So we should be good. I'll call the Gunsmoke prior to the run.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Romer, did the long range forecast for heavy snow involve the use of sheep intestines and coal fire by chance? Everything I see shows dry normal.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Romer, did the long range forecast for heavy snow involve the use of sheep intestines and coal fire by chance? Everything I see shows dry normal.

I heard it on Lewis and Floorwax this morning. Some guy who does forecasts for drilling and construction companies. I can not comment on the methors or accuracy. I hope he is wrong as thats a good day to go wheeling

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
AccuWeather seems to agree with Romers prediction.....

Attachments

• t-day-weather.jpg
    t-day-weather.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 201

Nay

Hard Core 4+
My inlaws just had to bag their trip - I just went from a near nil to a "probably , if I can avoid too much Turkey and wine :D"

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
AccuWeather seems to agree with Romers prediction.....
Interesting... Accuweather shows clear and cold Birdday, cloudy and cold Friday - for Buena Vista!

Flurries Saturday.

Let's go wheeling!

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I usually use weather.com (The Weather Channel site)...Seems as accurate as anywhere else. They have a 10 day forecast which only goes through the 21st as of today:

Attachments

• OCG Outlook.JPG
    OCG Outlook.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 212

Nay

Hard Core 4+
A hint about weather.com's 10 day forecast for CO that I noticed years ago - days 9-10 always show some weather in the winter.

The best site you can use is the National Weather Service. Google National Weather Service Denver, and then click on the town you want and at the bottom links read "Forecast Discussion". This is where the forecaster discusses the various computer models and short/long term forecasts.

Right now, the longer term projections are emerging drought in a very stable weather pattern. It's a La Nina year.

Edit: just looked at the latest - maybe a storm middle of next week. Go figure. But no computer model consensus yet :D

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
And no more body damage for me with Oleg out of commision.