• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Outlaws Run 2019. October 19th-26th.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
So i'm thinking a good rendezvous could be Pinehaven and Keyhole Res WY. Looks pretty interesting and only an hr from Devils Tower.

As far as camping that first night at Devils Tower, there are two established spots to camp within the park, but also looks like some good open space to around it...

:beer::beer:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Don’t fret the band ain’t breaking up completely just on hiatus.

Sell them and get a 40. You can drive that everywhere the 60 goes and you kinda need one back anyways.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Checking in... man I am trying to make this happen. I am 50/50 at best but will know more once I get back from this weekends work trip.

@MDH33 I am in Ames this weekend man. I have no idea my availability. I'll reach out if I have the time.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
Area repeaters:
WY:
Devil's tower area (Sleepy hollow/Antelope): 146.96 and/or 145.34 Neither are showing a tone freq.
70cm:448.75
Sundance/Warren: 146.790/toneFreq 100
Newcastle: 147.3 tone freq. 162.2

SD:
Terry Park: (near Deadwood): 147.030 tone freq. 146.2
Black Hills North: 146.94 tone freq. 146.2
Black hills south: 146.85 tone freq. (none shown) could be same as above.

bh4rnnr

@bh4rnnr Should be plenty of FS land to the west of Devils Tower, but it might have lots of gates and restrictions. Another option is BLM about 25 minutes east: https://goo.gl/maps/7SCqm8QPPBugtvy38

What time are you thinking for meetup?

Need to figure out what time for meeting up. I'll probably be leaving town no later than 10am. Need to stop at Stevenson to get a part. It's about 6hrs to Pine Haven and another hr to Devils Tower. So probably that afternoon?

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I can't leave until like 4pm at the earliest, I'll be rolling in after dark. Probably like 11ish...keep me posted on where.

bh4rnnr

I can't leave until like 4pm at the earliest, I'll be rolling in after dark. Probably like 11ish...keep me posted on where.

There are two established campgrounds in the Devils Tower Monument. Unless we find something super cool, i'm thinking we'll just use one of those for simplicity.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
bella fuorché campground is like right there at the monument. looks like standard campground that takes cash/check for fees upon entering. what's the other campground? it should be pretty quiet there. https://thedyrt.com/camping/wyoming/wyoming-belle-fourche

another note: the USFS in SD bans open fires year-round unless in established pits/rings. something to keep in mind. who's gonna try to grab a fire pan from Inukshuk? :)

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
Another fireless Outlaws would be a huge bummer. I'm going to aim to be there a little earlier so I can scout out the BLM land nearby. Guessing I'd leave sometime around 8. So get in the area around 2 or 3 and then a couple hours of scouting means 4 or 5 pm meetup for me.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
My current plan is to depart Sunday afternoon. If not, Monday morning.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
another note: the USFS in SD bans open fires year-round unless in established pits/rings. something to keep in mind. who's gonna try to grab a fire pan from Inukshuk? :)

Please borrow it, I think you'll really like how it works for campfires. just know that it does not constitute an "established pits or ring".

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'll buy a propane fire ring unless someone can commit to picking up Daniel's. Should be able to have it on my doorstep by Friday. We've been talking about getting one anyway, so this would be an excuse.

If someone is near downtown and can grab Daniel's then speak up and I won't rush it. Or I can rush it and buy one. Having no fire is no bueno - especially this time of year.

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
@bh4rnnr Hey, perhaps we could attempt one more updated attendees list as we are coming down to the wire. If there are any bases that aren’t yet covered I can dig through my gear if I know what we need. I have a propane fire pit too!

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
Was talking to Shawn and we were thinking some creative route planning might get us back to WY most nights, depending on what Perry has planned.

bh4rnnr

I'll buy a propane fire ring unless someone can commit to picking up Daniel's. Should be able to have it on my doorstep by Friday. We've been talking about getting one anyway, so this would be an excuse.

If someone is near downtown and can grab Daniel's then speak up and I won't rush it. Or I can rush it and buy one. Having no fire is no bueno - especially this time of year.

Was planning to stop by Saturday morning to pick it up. Maybe good to have a propane fire pit as well?

bh4rnnr

Was talking to Shawn and we were thinking some creative route planning might get us back to WY most nights, depending on what Perry has planned.

Just because there are no open fires in the Black Hills??

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I see - Daniel's is a pit to burn wood.

I ordered a propane ring tonight; it'll be here Thursday. I'll bring it and a 20lb propane tank, which would probably last 2-3 nights for camps where we can't burn. If someone else brings another tank we'll be good, or we can find camp spots to burn wood as well.