Onx vs. Trails offroad vs?

Kramer

New-ish
Which trail mapping do ya'll prefer?
Been using COTrex mixed with ONX offroad. Thinking about trying trails offroad. Gotta pay either way, what seems best for wheelin? Trail difficulty ratings are important

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I use Gaia. I haven't tried anything else in the last 5-7 years. Used Garmin and Memory Map before then. It has worked well for me

Kramer

New-ish
Downloaded the Gaia app earlier. Has a lot of useful maps, looking for something geared towards offroad trails

Kramer

New-ish
I used to use traildamage. Gonna check that out again. Been a while, looks to have changed. Anybody use it?

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Which trail mapping do ya'll prefer?
Been using COTrex mixed with ONX offroad. Thinking about trying trails offroad. Gotta pay either way, what seems best for wheelin? Trail difficulty ratings are important
I use trailsoffroad a lot, but never in the field....
I've been thinking about ONX but haven't..
I didn't realize trail damage was still around. I used to use it a lot 10 or so years ago

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Downloaded the Gaia app earlier. Has a lot of useful maps, looking for something geared towards offroad trails
I only use it for offroad trails and with loading gpx tracks of trails from others or creating my own

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Black Bear Pass with a bit of Imogene from Gaia loading GPX tracks
1708366163984.png

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Mainly CoTrex when I’m in Colorado. I run into this phenomenon with audio recording too. You can pay thousands for a Pro Tools or Logic, or you can have nearly identical functionality - and deep functionality at that - for free with GarageBand or Reaper. A rare case of disparity between what you pay and what you get. Don’t underestimate CoTrex.

Gaia when I want to create a route and follow it, and when I want to clearly see what’s FS lane and what’s BLM land.

Avenza when I want to load up an MVUM and follow it.

I tried OnX about three years ago and it didn’t seem to have anything Gaia didn’t. Never tried Trails Offroad, although that seems to be popular. It had difficulty ratings, but I’d rather talk to folks I know than read the reviews of a bunch of yahoos with JKs and 5th Gen 4Runners with Fuel wheels. No offense to anybody, but it seems geared towards the type of folks who call a day trip “overlanding” and are maxed out on available space for more Roto Pax. 🤷‍♂️

Burt88

Trail Ready
I tried OnX but didn't like it. Their information is far too broad and unconfirmed and ends up a cluster of information I can process with Gaia on my own. Trails Offroad publishes trails as they collect real data and descriptions from actually driving the trails, which OnX doesn't necessarily do. So there's a huge difference in what information you are left to deal with. Between Gaia and Trails Offroad I can pretty much cover everything necessary.

My first time running Rimrocker I used Trails Offroad and had clear turn by turn directions tracked by gps and accurate information and descriptions to stay on course. There's a lot of side trails along the way that could easily cause a wrong turn. So it's great for route finding if the trail you're on is included in their database.

My opinion is OnX would be an alternative to Gaia for those who don't want to process so many layers of mapping.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I have been liking Gaia a lot lately. I haven't found anything I need that I can't do... plus I like that I can log in and create something on my laptop, and then it's magically there on my phone and ipad later... it's cool to have the bigger screen of the ipad when driving, and it's great to have in on my phone when out hiking, and even better when I leave the laptop at home. I'm guessing all the other softwares do this also, this is just my first experience with it.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
When trail damage went subscription based the format changed. I did the subscription for a year cuz it wasnt much the first year..I didnt renew after that as it went downhill imho.

Currently, I mostly use TrailsOffroad and back it up wit Gaia(even though I rarely use it). I think they might be based out of CO? Regardless they have a very user friendly ap, easy to use offline maps, Solid waypoint choices, includes camping info, T.O. created trail run videos that usually coincide with their waypoints, works well on a desktop or phone/tablet, and probably more that Im forgetting. But most importantly...It's not glitchy in the slightest.

Now that im living on the east coast, T.O. doesnt have a ton of listed trails since there isnt a ton of them and secrecy with them as well..but the list is growing. I hoping they can expand into Canada a bit more too as adventure trips up there will soon be on my families to do list.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
When trail damage went subscription based the format changed. I did the subscription for a year cuz it wasnt much the first year..I didnt renew after that as it went downhill imho.

Currently, I mostly use TrailsOffroad and back it up wit Gaia(even though I rarely use it). I think they might be based out of CO? Regardless they have a very user friendly ap, easy to use offline maps, Solid waypoint choices, includes camping info, T.O. created trail run videos that usually coincide with their waypoints, works well on a desktop or phone/tablet, and probably more that Im forgetting. But most importantly...It's not glitchy in the slightest.

Now that im living on the east coast, T.O. doesnt have a ton of listed trails since there isnt a ton of them and secrecy with them as well..but the list is growing. I hoping they can expand into Canada a bit more too as adventure trips up there will soon be on my families to do list.
trails was originally colorado based. todd got a jeep and decided to learn to wheel, but found the wells books gps coordinates weren't quite good enough for a newbie on his own, so he created the website and made it as close to bullet proof to keep people from ending up on the wrong path. it's run by 4wheelers and people actually get paid for writing up and maintaining trails on the website. he's done a great job over the years and it's fun to pop back in and see what else he's done.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
trails was originally colorado based. todd got a jeep and decided to learn to wheel, but found the wells books gps coordinates weren't quite good enough for a newbie on his own, so he created the website and made it as close to bullet proof to keep people from ending up on the wrong path. it's run by 4wheelers and people actually get paid for writing up and maintaining trails on the website. he's done a great job over the years and it's fun to pop back in and see what else he's done.
Yup that makes sense and a big reason why I’ll continue to buy it. The fact that it’s run by the community I feel is huge and helps keep it current. I feel like in the future some education for the writers to create a more standardized trail classification would be nice. But that’s a huge reason why the videos that show the rig to back up the classification is a great feature.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Caltopo is pretty legit but not nearly as user friendly.

In addition to an incredible number of maps a subscription gets you realtime weather station data and daily satalite imagery in decent resolution. Its incredible for planning.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

In addition to an incredible number of maps a subscription gets you realtime weather station data and daily satalite imagery in decent resolution. Its incredible for planning.
I've subscribed to CalTopo for years. It's better for GIS and planning than options like GAIA. The mobile app is fine but to really get full benefit you need to do work upfront on a desktop. GAIA is a bit better on the move. But since I don't do data (got a very minimum plan) on the phone I usually go with cached CoTrex. But that's not much use across state lines. So I still rock the Garmin receivers.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I've subscribed to CalTopo for years. It's better for GIS and planning than options like GAIA. The mobile app is fine but to really get full benefit you need to do work upfront on a desktop. GAIA is a bit better on the move. But since I don't do data (got a very minimum plan) on the phone I usually go with cached CoTrex. But that's not much use across state lines. So I still rock the Garmin receivers.
I agree. Not nearly as easy to use as Gaia or similar apps on the move. I do not rely on the data connection. I have almost every map layer for areas we plan to visit on a trip.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

Wait a minute…. Explain “daily satellite imagery.” So if I am camped for 2 nights, by night 2 I see my truck?