One thru Ten in Moab

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Do you have more vintage pics nathanial :confused: :thumb:

(I believe this is from CM 2000)

You mean like what not to do in the hot tubs on Hells Revenge?(That was just to scare the noobs!:smokin: )

Or maybe leading up to the shelf road on Kane Creek?

More Cane Creek with the Rustiest FJ45 wagon running?

The Rustiest FJ45 Wagon making it up the shelf road on Cane Kreek open/open and on what appears to be 28" wheels? Note the spotter who helped get the rustiest wagon up that trail, Bruce Miller.

Or Just one to wet your whistle Wes? BTW, that ain't no BJ buddy, it was a gasser! I dunno the model. FJ70?

If that is what you're looking for, I might have a few.

Attachments

• scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 184
  • scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 176
  • scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 141
  • scan0010.jpg
    scan0010.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 144
  • scan00eleven.JPG
    scan00eleven.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 136

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
(I believe this is from CM 2000)

You mean like what not to do in the hot tubs on Hells Revenge?(That was just to scare the noobs!:smokin: )

Or maybe leading up to the shelf road on Kane Creek?

More Cane Creek with the Rustiest FJ45 wagon running?

The Rustiest FJ45 Wagon making it up the shelf road on Cane Kreek open/open and on what appears to be 28" wheels? Note the spotter who helped get the rustiest wagon up that trail, Bruce Miller.

Or Just one to wet your whistle Wes? BTW, that ain't no BJ buddy, it was a gasser! I dunno the model. FJ70?

If that is what you're looking for, I might have a few.

Hee hee.....

The 40 in the pit is "Money Pit" (Adam Tolman)before it was reborn...

The rusty 45lv is Eric Corbett....

FZJ-70

:cheers:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
That poor LV.. get that thing off that shelf road and over to the Wheetridge museum where it belongs...

and sign me up for an FZJ-70. :homer:

wesintl

RS Moderator
No diesel badge on the front. and fzj70 would be a hoot esp with a turbo :eek:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+

I will look for an old picture but remember the Venezualans? The red 70 was an FZJ. It wheeled great and did some insane wheelies! Appearantly if you load the back with enough gear the 1FZ has more than enough power to pick the front wheels off the ground quite easily! I have a pic somewhere of the little red beast riding out an awesome wheelie after a little too much peddle was used when climbing "Zuk's Bump" on the Spike.! :lmao: :lmao: :thumb:

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

What, that it can go faster than 10mph up the pass:eek: :brick: :hill: :beer:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Was the 1FZ around in 1987?

I think it might be that 2FE, maybe?

no.

it would be a fj70 with 3f with a carb... It's interesting that the 3f started in early 84 world wide.

fzj didn't start til 92 1/2

Perry... Only slightly slower than s 22re :bored: :brick:
;)

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
no.

it would be a fj70 with 3f with a carb... It's interesting that the 3f started in early 84 world wide.

fzj didn't start til 92 1/2

Perry... Only slightly slower than s 22re :bored: :brick:
;)

Ahhhh.......that makes sense!

Rock Dog

Hard Core 4+
I missed the first "official" CM in 1998, but been to everyone since...
I remember the way the Venezualians loved the skinny pedal...
I gunned for them on Fins and things and was treated to quite a show...
Never saw ANY group take more pictures than they did. (oh look more sand, better get a picture).
I have a picture with all our rigs lined up at the end of the run and my Dad hanging out of the rig waving.. One of his favorite pictures.

I believe i have the whole t-shirt collection... At one point Dave Brown was making framed pictures out of them.. Don't know if he has the whole collection framed, but he really liked the Art work done by Bruce.....

Back in those days the CHEESY one would lead a weekend training "suicide" run in conjunction with Wasatch for trail leaders...
Those were SHINING TIMES for me and my Red 40!!

Cheeseman

Rising Sun Member
I am careful about this next comment. But doing those suicide runs was how we finally got some trail leaders. No bones 2 trails a day for 3 days. Just to get other people to lead the trails and learn them. Not the hard trails like spike, pritchett or the rocks. But all the rest. Would I like to do that again? You bet. Spring Schedule Ugly. Terribly. But maybe we can figure something out

Boy this will change this thread. Probably should start a new one.

I still want to see if there are more people who have the chance to have a hangover in Moab for ten years straight.

In regards to Dave Brown, you have to know that he has been going over to Moab for 20 years and more. He is also a member of Red Rocks 4 Wheelers. So to him I bow my head even though our record in Moab is great.
________
Subaru baja

Last edited:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Cheeseman I send you a PM

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
In regards to Dave Brown, you have to know that he has been going over to Moab for 20 years and more. He is also a member of Red Rocks 4 Wheelers. So to him I bow my head even though our record in Moab is great.

Atta boy! A lot of people put in countless hours both officially and behind the scenes to get CM off the ground. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Cruise Moab would not have begun when it did if it wasn't for Dave Brown! He came into the Rising Sun circle because of the energy we were stirring up trying to figure out how to do an event. Many of the "systems" in place still in CM are Daves fruit!!!!!!!! Dave, Gail and Kim have earned more respect than they will ever accept. My hat is always off for Dave Bown and family! :cheers: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :)

Rock Dog

Hard Core 4+
I Second, Third and Fourth that! He has ALWAYS been there to help out for the event in whatever capacity he was needed!!
My feeling is Dave's strong leadership and energy was instrumental in keeping the event alive when some of the committee at the time decided to leave the club some years back.

We have been truely fortunate as a club to have him and his family as members. :bowdown: :bowdown:

I Remember watching a young guy on the behind the rocks trail talking about how a certain line up "Upchuck" could not be done, and making excuses to take the bypass.. Kim gets in the FJ40 she helped build, and proceeded to shoot up that very line....

What a wheeling family!!! :cheers:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I missed 98 and 99, but have been to every one starting in CM2K (remember that's what we called it because of that Y2K business?). So this makes my 8th event. I also did a rather infamous prerun in November 2000 in my new-to-me HZJ75. Bruce and Barb broke a birf, I broke an axle, Bruce "Pinion Boy" Westlund broke another pinion and we spent all day fixing it. Cheeseman, Purple Taco and Greg Lewis all drove out unscathed.

Kevin, I know you were at CM2K, you were on the committee and chaired the driver's meeting. I remember how you warned everyone that if they got out of line or drank on the trail that the leaders would call the Grand County Sheriffs and they would fly a chopper out to arrest them! That was also the year that Mary Bender wandered into the group and you ended up taking her out on all the trails trying to scare her, but she just loved it anyway. That was also the year the Venezuelans did their Meso-America expedition; Henry Cubillan translated for them. That first day on Fins, James Bingham lead and Neil gunned. Rob Mullen rode shotgun with me so he could take photos.

Those first two years, I got to do Elephant Hill with Royal Rose as leader and tour-guide. There were only 4 of us on that Saturday run in '00, if you can believe it! I think it was '01 when Cheeseman was on the run with us and he picked up all that great history. I don't remember if Royal led E-hill in '02 or not, but I had fixed my truck the previous day and gunned the trail.

My first event in '00 was certainly my most memorable, although 2002 is a close second due to all the trucknage I had.

It seems like these last several years I've been a lot busier with my leading and trail-assignment duties, and haven't had as much time to enjoy it as the first several years. But that's okay, I always get a kick out of leading newbies and seeing the look on their faces when they see what their trucks can do, just as I did back then.