• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

OHV permits required on full sized vehicles

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
The form seemed to be for registering your OHV...I didn't think a licensed on road vehicle needed to do the registration.

Ige...did you submit the registration form to get a sticker for your 80 series? I didn't even see a spot for a licensed on-road vehicle...only motorbikes, snowmobiles, etc.

yes, i ordered one for my 80 series using the online form. although most of the places we go are roads, there are still a lot of actual "trails" in colorado. jenny creek is one that requires an ohv permit because it is a trail, not a road

benjrblant

Trail Ready
From the CPW Website:
​For Non-Residents and Resident Plated Vehicles:

​OHV Permits for non-residents and resident plated vehicles (off road + street legal vehicles) are available for purchase online. Please allow 14 days for your order to arrive in the mail.

OHV permits are also available at retail locations selling hunting and fishing licen​ses​. To purchase a permit in-person upon arrival in Colorado, please see the license agent list to find a retail location near you.​

The website lists this link:
https://www.co.wildlifelicense.com/start.php
However, I could not find an OHV permit. I spoke with the CPW office and they said the permit cannot be purchased online. List of locations at which you can obtain a permit are below:
http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationLocations.aspx

Hope this helps.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
From the CPW Website:

The website lists this link:
https://www.co.wildlifelicense.com/start.php
However, I could not find an OHV permit. I spoke with the CPW office and they said the permit cannot be purchased online. List of locations at which you can obtain a permit are below:
http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationLocations.aspx

Hope this helps.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/BuyApply/BoatOHVSnowmobileRegistration.pdf

print this. fill it out. mail it in with your check. get your permit in the mail.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
You can renew online. You cannot buy one online if you haven't purchased one for it yet. I renewed my dirtbike and my Toyota online this year.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I receive my OHV permit. It is a long plastic printed strip with detachable sections and a clear decal with a single card-sized window that you use to stick the thing on. My question is what part of all this is the permit you display and how do you know why? Do I fold these four card-sized sections? The top three say "License not valid if detached." The top most part has my address, phone, DOB, and driver's license number (which is why I obscured it here). Any suggestions?
OHV Permit 2019.jpg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for the reminder! Looks like they are using the same format as the hunting and fishing licenses.

Is their a sticky portion? Or are you just supposed to keep it on your person while in your vehicle?

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Thanks for the reminder! Looks like they are using the same format as the hunting and fishing licenses.

Is their a sticky portion? Or are you just supposed to keep it on your person while in your vehicle?

Mine came with a sticky plastic applicator "window" - you place the OHV permit inside the "window" and stick it to your windshield. Mine is proudly displayed on my windshield, just above the abomination that is my ExpressToll pass. :mad:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Mine came with a sticky plastic applicator "window" - you place the OHV permit inside the "window" and stick it to your windshield. Mine is proudly displayed on my windshield, just above the abomination that is my ExpressToll pass. :mad:

What part of the four-part strip ((pictured above) do you use?

I could put it inside the window.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
What part of the four-part strip ((pictured above) do you use?

I could put it inside the window.

I used the section that says “detach and keep with vehicle at all times”. Might not be the correct one, but it certainly made the most sense! :D

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I used the section that says “detach and keep with vehicle at all times”. Might not be the correct one, but it certainly made the most sense! :D

I see that argument, but all the ones above say "license not valid if detached", so if the bottom segment is the license, then they all stay attached.

FYI to all that below the last segment I show above, there were three more segments that were only the mailing label that showed through the envelope window.

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
It looks like it has your CID on it, I mean maybe it doesn't matter but i kinda wouldn't want to display that. I think i'd just keep it in the truck and provide if asked. it seems like this is all getting figured out anyways. I find it odd you don't simply get a sticker like any other OHV.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I got one (first time for LC) from St Vrain State park at the entrance booth... mine looks like the more traditional OHV square with a 5 digit number (not my CID) but it's a 2020 from a park not a store, either of which could be the difference.
It was pretty easy once they figured out how to do it for a Colorado registered highway vehicle. At first they were focused on needing either a bill of sale or ranger vin inspection to register it but finally decided that portion is more for ATV's as I didn't need a 'Registration' just an OHV tag. The ranger finally told the volunteer that she needed to run my OHV sticker as out of state so the system would not force registration (cuz I'm already a registered vehicle in colorado yo). At that point all they needed was my VIN, plate number, and drivers license (name and address) and I was done.
Online renewal should be easier still.
20190802_175102.jpg

Last edited:

joltman

Rising Sun Member
So it sounds like I might need to go to Murdoch's and get a "permit" not "registration" for my truck since this would be my first time purchasing. Is that a true statement? I read these sites and just when I thought I had to figured out, I read another paragraph and my eyes went cross.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
So how are they spending our $$? Not on computers apparently.

1710975003462.png

subzali

Hard Core 4+

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Something like this.

Attachments

• IMG_9023.jpeg
    IMG_9023.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9024.jpeg
    IMG_9024.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
For some reason I can't renew my OHV registration. It says it's good through 3/31. I got that bright green things in the mail last year & just carried it with me... Do I have to wait until after it expires to renew? The other issue is it doesn't show my vehicle on the OHV Permit page, & when I click on vehicles/vessels, it says there's no registered vehicles??
Screenshot_20240320_210831_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240320_210846_Chrome.jpg

Where do I need to go to talk to a real person to fix this?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Where do I need to go to talk to a real person to fix this?
China?

For vehicles I saw Active and Inactive. If you have clicked all the tabs and its not showing, dunno. If you need a scary letter from a lawyer, I know a guy.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
There is an office at Santa Fe and C-470 on the SW corner...