• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Official 2008 Blow Off Work And Go Wheeling Run thread

RedFox

Post Run options:
1. I checked with Anthony's Pizza in the Safeway S.C.. They have enough room for us and they are open until 9:00pm. They don't serve beer.

2. Cerreta Viejo is a authentic mexican restaurant located at Windy Point in the Boulder Gas Center. They have a lot of room and their food is excellent and they are open until 10:00pm. They serve beer and prices are reasonable.

Red Fox

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I've heard good stories about the Mexican place in the Boulder Gas Station (#2 in RedFox's account). That's my vote, though JJ Madwell's is good too :thumb:

80Series

Lifted
i was planning on going until I looked at the map and saw how far from home it was. No can do with gas prices :(

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Pizza and Beer!

Pier 49 now has their license! Not only do they have kick-ass pizza, but they now sell adult beverages!!!

They are in the King Sooper's center in Aspen PArk. Owner is Rick Lange, number is (303) 838-5201

Rick's been really cool with us at my work up there, I suggest we stop by during our meet-up!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Guys, it is with 95% certainty that I will not be there. I have used up my hall passes for time off work for wheelin' activities, and I prefer to keep my job rather than exercise my hobby. It sounds like there will be folks there who know where the trail is and can lead.

Please pay for the pizza (or Mexican food) with a credit card, and I will immediately send a check to cover the expense.

I'm sad -- I think this is the 8th annual Blow Off Work And Go Wheelin' Run, which I founded on a whim back when Mike Aaron was our events coordinator back in 2001. It will be the first one which I have not personally attended.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Bummer Matt. I was looking forward to wheeling with the Hulk today :(

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I haven't been there in 3 years. I hope someone else remebers where the trail is?

I'll be on 146.460 on the Ham. Like to check the distance on Rachels hand held with a good antenna so hopefully others will be monitoring while driving

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I know where it is.

I'm sure lots of others do as well.

Matt, sorry to hear. It will be my first.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I am recalling you go past shaeffers crossing and turn right where the gas station is and follow along to Rising Sun road. Once your on the trail I think its pretty easy. I think there is one turn near the end where you either turn back to the hill thats closed or the other way to get out.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Sort of. You DO go past shaeffers crossing, but you go past the first gas station, to the next one, and there is a light there now. I lived there for quite a while, my XC coach lived about a half mile from the trail head, so we used to run there a lot.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
From King Soopers in Aspen Park:

Head South on 285 about 12 miles. Turn right at the gas station in front of the Bailey Library. The road you are getting on is 43.

Head back about 6 miles to Rising Sun Rd. Turn left. Take the next right and head to the area where you air down.

Here is a map of how to get to the trailhead.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Hmm...have to get mom off to the airport...would have to be home by 6...kinda doubt that is a possibility??

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Hmm...have to get mom off to the airport...would have to be home by 6...kinda doubt that is a possibility??

Almost certainly not.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
From King Soopers in Aspen Park:

Head South on 285 about 12 miles. Turn right at the gas station in front of the Bailey Library. The road you are getting on is 43.

Head back about 6 miles to Rising Sun Rd. Turn left. Take the next right and head to the area where you air down.

Here is a map of how to get to the trailhead.

what, you don't trust me? :D

I wouldn't either...These mini truck guys, you know, they're a bad crowd.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
what, you don't trust me? :D

I wouldn't either...These mini truck guys, you know, they're a bad crowd.

I started with trying to find the turn off of Hwy 285 on Google Maps, and then kind of got carried away. Glad you will be there to show the way. If Jeff Zepp goes on the run, he knows the way very well, too.

Thanks man! :cheers:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Hmm......maybe I could turn back around 5?

2:00 Leave King Soopers in Apsen Park.

2:30 Arrive at air-down spot

3:00 Arrive at actual trailhead.

You could probably run the trail for a while and turn around at 4:15 -- that would get you off the trail at 5:00 and home by 6:00. Your only issue would be that you'd be by yourself if you got in trouble. It's not a difficult trail, but you never know.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
2:00 Leave King Soopers in Apsen Park.

2:30 Arrive at air-down spot

3:00 Arrive at actual trailhead.

You could probably run the trail for a while and turn around at 4:15 -- that would get you off the trail at 5:00 and home by 6:00. Your only issue would be that you'd be by yourself if you got in trouble. It's not a difficult trail, but you never know.

Dang....never made this run and really needed it today....2 years ago I left work late and was never able to catch up to the group...last year I had to cancel because my tennis league team needed me to play...then the opponent forfeited when we got there.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Dang....never made this run and really needed it today....2 years ago I left work late and was never able to catch up to the group...last year I had to cancel because my tennis league team needed me to play...then the opponent forfeited when we got there.

If it were me, I'd say to my wife: "Honey, would you mind taking my Mom to the airport?" and go on the run. Depends how happy your :Princess: is with you currently.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
If it were me, I'd say to my wife: "Honey, would you mind taking my Mom to the airport?" and go on the run. Depends how happy your :Princess: is with you currently.

Or say, "Mom I Love You, here is some money for a cab" :D