• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Official 2008 Blow Off Work And Go Wheeling Run thread

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Absolutely :cool:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Update: we're looking for a new post-run place for pizza/beer. Reports on Crossroads Pizza since new owners took over have been very negative. Dave Brown is going to check out Anthony's Pizza near the Safeway to see if they serve beer.

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
Don't be afraid to get muddy (or stuck:eek:) ...
100_3950.jpg

June 23 2008 trip by a group from my office

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Well I've been wondering about that little mudhole beauty. Since that thing developed to be pretty good size there is now a bypass around it. Is this one of the instances where we should either go through it (if it doesn't cause undue environmental damage by going through it) or turn around and go back? Of course the whole trail would be closed essentially if we had to turn back, so I guess that's why people went around through the trees and created a new trail off to the side. Would it be better to fill in the hole to provide natural water drainage again? Just thoughts...

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I thought I read that there was a work day last year by another club and they hauled in rocks and fill to fix it. Or maybe that was a different trail?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
In this case, I think you can bypass it without even straying from the trail.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I wanted to let you guys know that I am going on the Slaughterhouse run on Weds. I was a new guy at the last meeting (the one with 4 Toyotas). I am driving the 80.

I checked with Anthony's in Conifer and they do NOT serve beer. The good news is that there are 2 other decent pizza joints in Conifer that DO serve beer and are open till 9pm next Weds: Pier 49 Pizza and JJ Madwells. I can recommend either, although Madwells does have an actual bar.

Dan

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Sounds good, Dan. Thanks for looking into this. I guess we'll just wing it afterwards, unless someone has a better idea. See you on Wednesday!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I'm out for this run. I won't be able to make repairs to my 40 in time. have fun. :hill:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
You can ride with me :D

Can I do this run with low risk of damage with my locked 80 on 285's with a 2.5" OME medium lift? If so, I feel a cold coming on late morning Wednesday :D

subzali

Hard Core 4+
The only tight spot is a place where the trail tries to tip you into a tree on your way down. I'm pretty sure you can get by without tagging the tree as long as you have a good line, but someone with a wagon would have to chip in to confirm that.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Can I do this run with low risk of damage with my locked 80 on 285's with a 2.5" OME medium lift? If so, I feel a cold coming on late morning Wednesday :D

The only tight spot is a place where the trail tries to tip you into a tree on your way down. I'm pretty sure you can get by without tagging the tree as long as you have a good line, but someone with a wagon would have to chip in to confirm that.

We ran the trail last year with that set up except I'm running "heavies" (which is what I'm still running). Aside from the semi-tippy sections coming down damage risk IMO is super low. I'm pretty "tippy sensitive" :hill: so I'm sure most will tell you it isn't that bad. As long as you don't try to "baja" it through that section you should be fine.

Here is the trip report from last year with some good pics --> BOWAGWR 2007

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I ate at JJ Madwell's last Thursday, been there a few times and like that place, their pizza is good, calzones are good too. They have some good beers on tap as well, and I suspect they should be pretty dead on Wednesday too so probably no need to worry about a big table, you can even sit outside if it's warm out, which it should be. They're in Aspen Park next to Loaf & Jug, across 285 from West Jeff Elementary, so not the same side of 285 as CTS, but the other side by the car wash and all the auto parts stores.

And I can't make the run either, unfortunately. :(

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
You can ride with me :D

Thanks for the offer Matt. In addition to my dilapidated 40 needing help, I actually have a deadline for work July 10 and I have suspicion I'll be pulling all nighters to make it.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

I do this trail all the time in my locked 80 with 255/85s and no lift. Never had any damage ... yet. I live about 1/2 mile from the trailhead. I ran it alot in my 85 Hilux with open diffs and 31s before I got the cruiser, too. No probs. Hell, come to think of it, I used to run it in my IFS 86 4Runner with open diffs and 31s. You should be golden.

Dan

x2 on j.j. madwells. It's good. Might wanna call ahead and see if they can accommodate us.

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member

You will be fine ... not a difficult trail at all, you did tougher stuff on Porcupine Rim :thumb:

Thanks for the info fellas. I plan on being there for the run unless something unexpected happens on the work front, which is unlikely, plus I'll be sick so they won't want me here anyway :cool: