• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

October Old Chinaman Gulch Run?

bskey

I have on the way a 3inch lift, rear Detroit locker, 4.88's, '95 brakes w/ s.s. lines and new exhaust. The truck needed a suspension and exhaust when I bought it, so I figured I might as well do it right. With all that I should be great to run the trail, but right now it needs the front knuckles to be rebuilt, so this weekend I'll be out. I should be good to go by the end of the month.

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
The truckstop is just past a bridge as you come into Johnson Village. I am assuming you are coming via 285 from Denver. If you are late the road to OCG is just before the bridge on the left. You go about a 1/2 3/4? mi then the entrance is on your left.

So is it just Mark, you and I?

It looks like it. A buddy of mine and I are staying in BV tonight. We're up for meeting at 9:30 and rolling.

Mark

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
You guys should have multiple small runs if needed. It's such a fun run.

Bsky, if you do not take the optional lines, you could do this trail now.

My dad did this in a 97 4runner this june with 2 in lift, and 32's. Open open. We had to help him a bit, but got it done. You just have to be a bit carefull past the whale rock obstacle.

I agree, I suppose it could be a medium if you took all the by-passes.

Here's where I got hung up real bad after whale rock. My gas tank skid hung down a little and would hang me up. Had to high lift off. 2nd pic is the last obstacle.

Attachments

• 163-6306_IMG (Small).JPG
    163-6306_IMG (Small).JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 163-6307_IMG (Small).JPG
    163-6307_IMG (Small).JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Well, I was at the truckstop from 9:15 to 10, then at the trailhead from 10 to 10:45. I guess Mark and I must have missed each other or something.

Luckily some other RS member (Greg I think) with a nice 80 series came along as I was waiting at the trailhead. I'd driven down there to wheel and was about to do the trail by myself so Greg ran it with me.

What a fun trail! I really like that technical, bouldery kind of trail. I'd say that's about the upper edge of what you ought to take a stock Taco through. I made almost everything just fine with careful tire placement. Greg and I ended up running the loop Clockwise and ran into Mark and friend at that V-notch type obstacle. I went down just fine, barely even touched the skid. Greg didn't think he could make the turn without tipping, so I turned around and tried to come back up. I made it after a few tries, but it cost me a driver's taillight! No big deal, it's just plastic.

Ill definitely run this trail again, and hopefully get to actually meet some more people from the club next time.:beer:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
thought of you guys as i was whipping past the gunsmoke...

LandBruiser

Lifted
Yea I feel like a lame a$$ bum for not making it today. Didn't wake up till 8 and didn't want to have people waiting around for an extra hr just for me.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
:bump:

Anyone still thinking about the Chinaman? Maybe the 10th or 11th?

bskey

How about a run on a different weekend?

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I still want to run OCG this year. This weekend is out for me, and I have company in the weekend of the 17th, but possibly either a) next Sunday the 11th or b) next Saturday but leaving early to beat the horde. That probably means Sunday :D

I'd be open to the last weekend of November as well. OCG can be run year round as long as you aren't following the steps of a storm too closely.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I could probably do either day (10 or 11), but that's it for me for the rest of the month. I'm pretty flexible on start time, and have never run that trail so I'd like to go with someone who has....

bskey

Last weekend in Nov would be best for me.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I havn't posted yet, but I'm planning to lead a run up chinamans the day after thanksgiving. Or Yankee Hill if we get fresh snow.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I'm out for this weekend. Last weekend of the month is looking good. Day after Turkey would be good, but inlaws are in town. Maybe I should pack them in with the four kids and scare the sh$t out of them :D

bskey

What's the difficulty of OCG?

Not too bad. If your truck is low, just place your tires carefully.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, its not TOO bad, you may need a strap in a few places. Lockers are good, but not necessary.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I'm out for this weekend. Last weekend of the month is looking good. Day after Turkey would be good, but inlaws are in town. Maybe I should pack them in with the four kids and scare the sh$t out of them :D

Go for it. They would a unique experience for sure.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
What's the difficulty of OCG?

I would call it a difficult. It's a real beater. If not armored real well you will get beat up. For some that's not an issue though.

bskey

Yeah, its not TOO bad, you may need a strap in a few places. Lockers are good, but not necessary.

I have sliders, and a rear locker... but it's on the floor of my garage. :hill: