• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

October Old Chinaman Gulch Run?

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I ran OCG Friday. As usual it's a little different this year with all the traffic and erosion. A lot of the smaller stuff is more difficult now which is fun. The squeeze was busted out wider and easier. The optional rock pile was eroded away and thus is a "larger" obstacle". I couldn't get over it and didn't feel like stacking a bunch of rocks. Whale rock was also a "larger" obstacle due to erosion. I had to stick to the standard middle line instead of the diagonal line I had been taking. I got hung up real bad on a tough patch after whale rock and had to high lift out and subsequently had the high lift slip out in the soft sand and leave a sizable battle wound in my rear door. Door still opens though. I took the new diagonal line Oleg showed be on the double slab and cleaned it like a rock star - I have video. The sleeper obstacle is was pretty easy due to previous rock stackers. Have fun.

Thanks for the update, Scott. Seems like before too long the "in between obstacles" stuff is going to be a true series of rock gardens. Sweet :thumb:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
My video piece is real short, not worth the setup. Are you using the LCD for other reasons? If so I'll bring it.

Yes, we have another short video to show from a recent trip.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, long week at work and I am wiped. Be nice to sleep in.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
You have no idea how much i want to do this run. but no spare = no go for me. I am really bummed I'm missing this.

bskey

I'd love to come too, but the trucks not ready yet for this, and I need Saturday to work on her.... Soon.... very soon! Please post lots of pics though afterwards!

Bighead

Trail Ready
Can't make it due to previous plans with the wife. Someday I'll actually make one of these runs.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Where is everybody? Only three! Come on guys, let's go wheelin'!!! :D

Mark

On further bad news...I have to drop out as a huge deal just hit at work that I have to support :mad:

Any chance of moving this trip to the 20th? Or maybe first week in Nov if the 20th isn't good? I'd like to get a good sized group out as OCG is such a great all day trail.

bskey

What's the difficulty level of OCG?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Easier than Spring Creek IMHO. Some optional obstacles are as difficult.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Easier than Spring Creek IMHO. Some optional obstacles are as difficult.

It's a more bruising trail than Spring Creek given it's length and relatively non-stop nature, but there's nothing as difficult as taking the rock garden on Spring Creek unless you do the optional stuff. That's why it's a great trail - never less than moderate, but can be as difficult as you want it to be.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
First week in Nov, and I'm there>>>Or last weekend in OCT

Bighead

Trail Ready
Alright...don't have a heart attack Isaac but those dates work for me too as long as we are talking the weekends. :eek: They fit nicely between the classes I have to teach.

bskey

I may be set up to run some trails by then too.... I'll keep an eye on the thread.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Bsky, if you do not take the optional lines, you could do this trail now.

My dad did this in a 97 4runner this june with 2 in lift, and 32's. Open open. We had to help him a bit, but got it done. You just have to be a bit carefull past the whale rock obstacle.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Alright...don't have a heart attack Isaac but those dates work for me too as long as we are talking the weekends. :eek: They fit nicely between the classes I have to teach.

we are talking weekends. If RS doesn't go, then you and I will for sure!

I sure would like to tag along on this one if you guys don't mind.

I'll be driving my Taco. It's not built big, but I'm a pretty good driver. If we get to something I can't make, Ill just turn around so I don't hold up the group.

Where's this truckstop we're meeting at?

Nay

Hard Core 4+

1st week in Nov looks pretty good for me, last week in Oct. I can't do. I don't want to undo this weekend's run by suggesting alternate dates since it was my idea and now I can't go, so hopefully you guys will get out this weekend, too.

LandBruiser

Lifted
I sure would like to tag along on this one if you guys don't mind.

I'll be driving my Taco. It's not built big, but I'm a pretty good driver. If we get to something I can't make, Ill just turn around so I don't hold up the group.

Where's this truckstop we're meeting at?

The truckstop is just past a bridge as you come into Johnson Village. I am assuming you are coming via 285 from Denver. If you are late the road to OCG is just before the bridge on the left. You go about a 1/2 3/4? mi then the entrance is on your left.

So is it just Mark, you and I?