new Kane Creek development

cruiseroutfit

Wasatch Cruisers
Cruise Moab Committee
The greater Moab area is a conundrum, we (and everyone else) love it to death, but I can assure you it doesn't love the motorized community back. Many of those against responsible development of private property... are very much the same people that don't want Cruise Moab or motorized users in general.

I often watch/listen to the Grand County Council meetings, primarily to hear about the status of upcoming 4x4 events. For example Cruise Moab, Easter Jeep Safari, etc get discussed by this exact council when considering "intent to apply" permits for large events. Recently the annual Bronco Safari had their long-standing annual event cancelled/forbidden by Grand County based on the actions of a couple of participants during their event. They are not actively looking for more motorized events in the greater Moab area imo. As such, I listened to the full Kane Creek development meeting, nothing shocking, folks upset at development, dismayed land like this can be and has been private for many, many decades (SITLA lands sold to fund our Utah schools), and talk of the need for affordable housing and responsible development. Many are relative new-comers to Utah (we call then NewTahns :D) and Moab but they just "love the place and can't believe anyone would want to develop/build there". Their predecessors said the same thing about each and every development in the greater Moab area, this is just the newest one and the one they were there for. Ironically this one had zoning approved decades ago and had permitted planning over 2000 homes. It's my understanding the project will be more in the 600 range.

What we do know about the Kane Creek Development. The owners have historically been friends and advocates of the OHV community, they let Cruise Moab use the property for the event when most others properties in the area were not interested in assisting. They have committed to preserving access to the Pritchett Canyon 4x4 trail, a flagship trail in the area that can only be accessed through their property. RS2477 and state ROW laws would protect this route in the event they were advocates of closing BUT Grand County isn't exactly fighting for their roads/trails like many other Utah Counties, quite the opposite really so the support of the developers to maintain this route is important.

Much of the comments I've read on FB/IG about this development are misleading. I'm not saying there isn't cause for discussion with any development in anyone's favorite place but much of it is simply false. For example I've seen it commented that the development will block access through the private parcel and on to Hurrah Pass, Chicken Corners, Lockhart, etc. The state and county have ownership of that road and State ROW statutes absolutely protect it's access. It's been talked how construction will destroy the Kane Creek Road and make it undriveable for normal vehicles. It's my understanding road improvements will be part of their requirements to being in necessary infrastructure to the site.

cruiseroutfit

Wasatch Cruisers
Cruise Moab Committee
😂
I guess I was once a NewTahn but before it was cool.

No, no, I definitely see your name on the roster, current status "hiatus". Logs started in 1896 :D

Burt88

Trail Ready
I've been following @kanecreek_development_watch on instagram and the names of those in charge of the development are public. This is a disgusting display of human destruction in an inappropriate location. I really don't give a crap about what these developers say to win over anyone's opinion on the development because as we all know too well it will change. After the homes are built, and the natural environment along the river and floodplain is irreversibly changed (destroyed), the new homeowners will decide what access will be like past their luxury resort neighborhood. There are far more appropriate areas to develop 600 luxury homes in the area of Moab. One of these days we're gonna look back at all of the things we allowed to happen because we justify with money and realize it wasn't worth it.

Quoted in a recent post:
"The 3 men in charge are Craig Weston, Tom Gottlieb, and Trent Arnold. Greg Miller has joined them as a new landowner and major investor. They have hired Bruce Baird, an attorney infamous for working for deep pocket developers on extremely unpopular projects."

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Quoted in a recent post:
"The 3 men in charge are Craig Weston, Tom Gottlieb, and Trent Arnold. Greg Miller has joined them as a new landowner and major investor. They have hired Bruce Baird, an attorney infamous for working for deep pocket developers on extremely unpopular projects."
Any idea if this Greg Miller is that Greg Miller, @cruiseroutfit? On one hand I hope not but OTOH that might, I reservedly stress might, lend credibility to the ownership group.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Found this interesting about the real estate lawyer they brought on. Polarizing person to say the least. He's originally from Fruita, CO.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I drove by the development last Saturday... it's interesting. They brought in a ton of gravel and dirt, and yes it's elevated up like 5' from what it was before. Looks like the start to a bunch of soccer fields or something. Access to the area is going to be really difficult- that Kane Creek road is super narrow, and they have a 15mph speed limit for OHV's... I could see that getting old real quick if one were to live back there.

Burt88

Trail Ready
@DaveInDenver all I know for sure is the named developers are from Salt Lake and Aspen. It seems likely that Greg Miller is the same one we know in our community.

Burt88

Trail Ready
I drove by the development last Saturday... it's interesting. They brought in a ton of gravel and dirt, and yes it's elevated up like 5' from what it was before. Looks like the start to a bunch of soccer fields or something. Access to the area is going to be really difficult- that Kane Creek road is super narrow, and they have a 15mph speed limit for OHV's... I could see that getting old real quick if one were to live back there.
The latest plan shows they’re clearing nearly all the trees along the river bank. A lot are still standing but will be gone. The plan also shows Kane Creek rd 3 lanes wide.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member

Interesting article and real points made. Looks like the developers are take a page out of the front range neighborhood development by passing future infrastructure costs onto the homeowner and/or locals in the event of a catastrophic event.
BTW, it's in a known friggin flood zone! They have to raise it by 10 feet per FEMA. I wonder how that first flood is going to impact the community?

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member

This is an even better article about how big development actually works and the reality of how future costs will be passed onto the local government (tax payers) by how they play a very expensive, long game. If you've ever had the opportunity to work with lobbyist, in state government, for a local benefit you can see the writing on the wall.

Last edited:

Burt88

Trail Ready

Interesting article and real points made. Looks like the developers are take a page out of the front range neighborhood development by passing future infrastructure costs onto the homeowner and/or locals in the event of a catastrophic event.
BTW, it's in a known friggin flood zone! They have to raise it by 10 feet per FEMA. I wonder how that first flood is going to impact the community?
A point about their permit to raise the floodplain. Originally the developers had a maximum size of backfill set at something like 4 inches or smaller to ensure greater compaction and resistance to settling. They've since changed that to 10 inches which the engineers reports indicate a high risk of settling. So the water has the potential to infiltrate underneath the homes and cause settling damage in the future. Save a buck.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
A point about their permit to raise the floodplain. Originally the developers had a maximum size of backfill set at something like 4 inches or smaller to ensure greater compaction and resistance to settling. They've since changed that to 10 inches which the engineers reports indicate a high risk of settling. So the water has the potential to infiltrate underneath the homes and cause settling damage in the future. Save a buck.
Interesting point.

Again, developers/investors ONLY care about the bottom dollar and return. 20 years from now when problems occur due to poor or rushed development and the development corporation has been sold and resold with previsions in the contracts stipulating that the county will fund repairs/improvements (negotiated based favorable bonds, returns, etc with a new group of commissioners....) it will come back on the taxpayers. It always does.