• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

new Kane Creek development

cruiseroutfit

Wasatch Cruisers
Cruise Moab Committee
The greater Moab area is a conundrum, we (and everyone else) love it to death, but I can assure you it doesn't love the motorized community back. Many of those against responsible development of private property... are very much the same people that don't want Cruise Moab or motorized users in general.

I often watch/listen to the Grand County Council meetings, primarily to hear about the status of upcoming 4x4 events. For example Cruise Moab, Easter Jeep Safari, etc get discussed by this exact council when considering "intent to apply" permits for large events. Recently the annual Bronco Safari had their long-standing annual event cancelled/forbidden by Grand County based on the actions of a couple of participants during their event. They are not actively looking for more motorized events in the greater Moab area imo. As such, I listened to the full Kane Creek development meeting, nothing shocking, folks upset at development, dismayed land like this can be and has been private for many, many decades (SITLA lands sold to fund our Utah schools), and talk of the need for affordable housing and responsible development. Many are relative new-comers to Utah (we call then NewTahns :D) and Moab but they just "love the place and can't believe anyone would want to develop/build there". Their predecessors said the same thing about each and every development in the greater Moab area, this is just the newest one and the one they were there for. Ironically this one had zoning approved decades ago and had permitted planning over 2000 homes. It's my understanding the project will be more in the 600 range.

What we do know about the Kane Creek Development. The owners have historically been friends and advocates of the OHV community, they let Cruise Moab use the property for the event when most others properties in the area were not interested in assisting. They have committed to preserving access to the Pritchett Canyon 4x4 trail, a flagship trail in the area that can only be accessed through their property. RS2477 and state ROW laws would protect this route in the event they were advocates of closing BUT Grand County isn't exactly fighting for their roads/trails like many other Utah Counties, quite the opposite really so the support of the developers to maintain this route is important.

Much of the comments I've read on FB/IG about this development are misleading. I'm not saying there isn't cause for discussion with any development in anyone's favorite place but much of it is simply false. For example I've seen it commented that the development will block access through the private parcel and on to Hurrah Pass, Chicken Corners, Lockhart, etc. The state and county have ownership of that road and State ROW statutes absolutely protect it's access. It's been talked how construction will destroy the Kane Creek Road and make it undriveable for normal vehicles. It's my understanding road improvements will be part of their requirements to being in necessary infrastructure to the site.

cruiseroutfit

Wasatch Cruisers
Cruise Moab Committee
😂
I guess I was once a NewTahn but before it was cool.

No, no, I definitely see your name on the roster, current status "hiatus". Logs started in 1896 :D