need a battery. Which one? and where to buy?

Crash

Rising Sun Member
group 31!!!:eek: that's a big freakin' battery...class 8 tractor trailers run group 31s

A group 31 will fit into the FJ62 spot with minimal work and, for me, suffices in place of a dual battery set up.

jacdaw

Hard Core 4+
$1,700.00!!???

First lithium ion automotive starting battery, brought to you by Porsche. I wonder if the weight savings is worth the price tag? It is certainly gonna be easy to mount just about anywhere...:cool:

http://www.cartype.com/pages/4443/porsche_lightweight_battery

porsche_lightweight-battery.jpg

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
That thing is sweet. I'm amazed a car battery could be that small.

jacdaw

Hard Core 4+
I was thinking a bank of them in the space of a group 31 would be very cool. Wanna go halfsies Farnham?

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I picked up the Deka 31 and a Deka 78 AGM. I was suprised just how small the 78 is and how big the 31 is! Both are installed minus the hold down for the 31.

Mike/others...did you ever figure out a way to hold down the 31? I'm still trying to figure out how to hold it down. I'm considering welding a bracket up that would bolt to the two top bolts of the radiator frame and would hold the battery down.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I was searching batteries tonight, and ran across this battery reference site: http://www.jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

I'm considering the Super Start AGM from Checker's.. O'Riley's.
AGM_battery.jpg

$139 and the same exact group 34 as the Deka AGM apparently. at least according to a couple Jeep forums I found. Still looking..

Which battery?

The fall issue of Overland Journal has a battery test. Their choice is the
Sears Diehard Platinum P4.
Had one battery from Valence mod # U24-12RT at $2,230.00.
Porsche offers it as a factory option.

:cheers:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Bump to the top

Need a new battery in the LX. The Exide Orbital is finally giving up the ghost. Made it 4+ years so not bad IMO.

My BIL works at Sears and they have their "friends and family" sale coming up so I'll probably go with the Diehard Platinum. Hoping the Orbital makes it that long :eek:

For those that went that route, which one did you get and any fitment issues with the cables reaching etc?

I'm leaning toward the P3 with the front terminals (makes connecting up the winch handy and per my research these batteries like the Orbitals can in fact handle the load on the front terminals). I saw some folks mention the P4 but a search of the Sears site only lists the P1, P2, P3, P5, and P6 as available :confused:

Sears states the P5 is the proper battery for a '97 Land Cruiser fwiw.

TIA

Last edited:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Looks nice, Jeff. What's the difference between group 75 and group 35? I think my 80 is ready for a new one, too. Got home Wednesday night and the starter ran slow when I turned the key. :rolleyes:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Hensley has treated me right. I just got 2 2nds for the 70. $30 ea. The Deka agm I had in the 80 was slow starting and it was a year and 5 mos old. Something wasn't right I took it in to them and it tested fine but did not under load. Probably a bad cell, no questions asked they gave me a brand new replacement. those oddessey are nice though.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
FWIW I'm pretty happy with the O'Riley AGM Super Start so far.. that thing measures 12.7-12.8 after sitting for a few days, while all my other batteries would have dropped to the 12.2 range..

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
fwiw I'm Pretty Happy With The O'riley Agm Super Start So Far.. That Thing Measures 12.7-12.8 After Sitting For A Few Days, While All My Other Batteries Would Have Dropped To The 12.2 Range..

$$ ?

The Sears Platinum is $209.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
It was about $150 out the door.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Looks nice, Jeff. What's the difference between group 75 and group 35? I think my 80 is ready for a new one, too. Got home Wednesday night and the starter ran slow when I turned the key. :rolleyes:

Chris - for you if you got the Diehard Platinum route then you'd probably want the group 35 battery (P-5). It has the reverse terminals (i.e. positive on the right as you are looking at it so when you install it the positive ends up on the left where your positive cables are - clear as mud? :hill:). I'm leaning toward the group 75 because it has the front side connections as well which I use for the winch connections. Question will be if my battery cables will reach the top posts :confused: - My Orbital battery has the top posts in the center of the battery and the cables barely reach those as it is...I'm curious what the P4 battery looks like that seems so popular.

Other than that the group 35 has a slight edge in the CCA and reserve capacity arena.

But for you, I'd probably go the route Nakman did...In fact I might as well depending on what the BIL can get me for pricing on the Diehard...

Overland Journal just did a battery test last issue, Editor's choice and Value award went to the Sears Diehard Platinum P4, $190.00.

I keep seeing the P4 mentioned as the battery of choice but either I am blind, or Sears is no longer carrying it :confused:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
FWIW I'm pretty happy with the O'Riley AGM Super Start so far.. that thing measures 12.7-12.8 after sitting for a few days, while all my other batteries would have dropped to the 12.2 range..

Tim,

Any issues with your cables reaching the top posts? Thoughts on using the front connections for a winch? I know Optimas specifically state to NOT use the front connections for a winch and the leads can/will melt :eek:

In my research (I actually called even) on my Exide they said "No worries" about using the front connections. Internet research on the Diehard Platinum nets the same "no worries"...

The Super Start AGM is actually a little better spec wise than the Diehard Platinum P-3 I'm looking at and even with my BIL's discount, will probably be less to boot :thumb:

EDIT: Found a post (#10) here (link) that states the O'Riley battery is in fact a Deka Intimidator 34/78 (rebadged of course :))

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yep it's a Deka Intimidator.. I was running all new cables so it didn't really matter to me where the terminals were.. it would be a stretch on the 80 though come to think about it to get that hunk of positive stuff pulled forward enough to hit the post.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Got a reply from Deka re: using the front terminal connections for a winch so I thought I would post up the answer in case anyone is wondering and for future reference:

Question: Are the front terminal connections of the Deka Intimidator 34/78 AGM / Super Start Extreme AGM battery rated to handle winch connection loads?

Answer: Yes, front terminals are rated to handle the typical electrical loads of a winch motor. Excessive winch use may require out of vehicle charging. Insure battery is properly mounted and secured

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I meant to post this... but on the Deka the front terminals and top terminals are literally connected by a metal L-bracket. IOW, it's literally the same connection... they just ran a bracket down in front from the top to create front terminals.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I meant to post this... but on the Deka the front terminals and top terminals are literally connected by a metal L-bracket. IOW, it's literally the same connection... they just ran a bracket down in front from the top to create front terminals.

Optima does the same but apparently they don't use near the same amount of metal for the connection thus using a winch on the front terminals of an Optima will likely result in melted brackets and a ruined battery :eek:

FWIW, so far Optima is the only battery that I have looked into that does not suggest/ok connecting the winch to the front terminals. Exide Orbital, Diehard Platinum, Deka / Sure Start all state no problem...