need a battery. Which one? and where to buy?

Way up topic someone said that AutoZone doesn't carry Optimas in stock anymore? I work for AZ... I know in my store right now we have at least 3 red tops in stock. Now the Yellows sell as soon as we get one, and the Blue tops I have seen come in special order. Usually 1 or 2 days with no shipping charges to you.

Just some FYI here... Our Duralast batteries (the red top and yellow/gold top) were at one time #1 in Consumer Reports, above Interstate even. They are made my Johnson Controls, who I have heard is the same place that makes Interstate?

I had bought the Duralast Gold batteries way before I worked for AZ. They always withstood the CCCold and abuse from the winch. Never had one really lose a cell until the warranty was about up. The DL Golds can have some good cranking amps... I typically use the 34DT-DLG that has dual terminals and 1000 cranking amps, and 800 CCA. The only one we have that is more amps would be the 65DLG which has 1000 cranking, and 875 CCA. While I am at it... they have a 3 year free replacement, 8 year prorated warranty... valid at any of AutoZone's 4000+ stores.

Oh, and my own personal testimony here... This just happened last Sunday morning, when the temp was -15ish up here. I had to start my old Ford truck to get to work. I cranked SOLID for about 2 minutes on my 8 year old Duralast black top (now they have red tops). I never ran the battery down, I just quit cranking... It wouldn't start. I plugged my block heater in about 6 hours and it fired right up still substantially below zero temps.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Just a FYI, we stock the Optima reverse terminal for the 80 :D

What is that? This?
db4.jpg

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Naw, flipped + and - sides.

FWIW, my Yellow Tops are still good after being run down flat a couple years ago from welding at Jenny Creek (the winch point) without recharging them. I recharged them over, say, about a week or so and they have come back up and stayed up. They are around 5 years old or more.

Good to know about the Sears batteries though. I am pretty much forced to use glass-mat batteries, as they are mounted on the side under the deck in the rear. The Duralast story too.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
The NEW Sears Die Hard Platinum is the same battery as the Odyssey. There is a thread on MUD showing both batteries and they are identical except for color. As mentioned above...I bought the biggest one they had and it just barely fits in the tray (with very slight trim of the corner). They also sell one the same size as stock (27, I believe). This thing has so much cranking power and with the deep cell, I hope it does well after being drained. It's only been in there for a month or so, so I can't speak to longevity, but owners of the Odyssey batteries who chimed in on MUD completely swear by them over the Optima. On sale at Sears, it was around $200. Not cheap, but not too bad for what it promises and the warranty is easy at Sears. I had a red-top prior, but it was having trouble in the cold. PO put it in only three years ago.

I saw those threads on Mud. That looks interesting. I also remember Kevin and Steve mentioning Deka batteries

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Deka manufactures all of its products in Pennsylvania and sells wet (lead-acid), AGM (absorbed glass mat) and gel batteries. http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/ Hensley is the regional distributor.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Deka manufactures all of its products in Pennsylvania and sells wet (lead-acid), AGM (absorbed glass mat) and gel batteries. http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/ Hensley is the regional distributor.

Do you know how theey compare to the Sears Platinums mentioned above. I have read quite a bit about those and not so much on the Deka. Experianced with Orbitals and Optimas like most everyone else.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Deca is the reason we can watch a full length movie without my engine running!
Projectors are power hogs too. Let's not forget the fridge running the whole time
and two blenders of fruit beverages!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Deca is the reason we can watch a full length movie without my engine running!
Projectors are power hogs too. Let's not forget the fridge running the whole time
and two blenders of fruit beverages!

Nice. Thanks Kevin

Did you get the Gel Deka?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I thought others would find this of interest

The Die Hard Platinum (Odyessy), Red Top Orbital and Deka are the top three batteries based on Consumer Reports and real offroad testing

The Orbital Exide is not known for long life, found that out myself on two of them

The Deka has the outstanding reserve capacity to run the Holy graille at night, per Kevins use and Consumer Reports testing:D

It would have been interesting if they had included the Yellow and Blue Top Optimas in their test.

From Consumer Reports
Our battery-life test is based on a standard recently adopted by the Society of Automotive Engineers. Our test includes partially draining and then recharging each battery almost 3,000 times over a 10-week period, during which the battery must meet voltage and amperage limits based on real-life demands. The highest scorers maintained higher voltages and were able to withstand more cycles.
In addition to how we test car batteries for endurance, our reserve-capacity test measures how long an auto battery can supply power if the charging system fails or if you leave your headlights or accessories on. The lowest-scoring models in our test should provide 1½ hours of power. Higher-scoring models can supply power well past 2 hours.
We also test for cold-cranking amps (CCA). That’s the measure of current that’s available at 0º F and is the primary indicator of cold-climate performance. CCA has long been a major selling point for batteries. But we believe that the industry’s claimed CCA doesn’t reflect real-world conditions because batteries are charged at a higher voltage than the 14.5 volts provided by most vehicles’ alternators. Our CCA test is based on more realistic charging voltages and amperage demands, and our results show each battery’s relative cranking power, regardless of the manufacturer’s claims.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 393

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Romer...thanks for posting this CR data. Makes me feel OK about my DieHard Platinum.:cheers: I will say that it is the HEAVIEST battery I have ever picked up!!! I'm about 6'3" and it took everything to get it up and seated in the battery tray!!!

Because of the way my Optima was installed by PO, I had to turn the battery facing backward. I still have a few things I need to do to clean up the install. I'd like to get some of the Military Style clamps and increase the gauge of the wires, but I will probably wait until I find a winch before I take the time to do this. Maybe when I re-wire, I'll turn the battery around facing forward?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Romer...thanks for posting this CR data. Makes me feel OK about my DieHard Platinum.:cheers: I will say that it is the HEAVIEST battery I have ever picked up!!! I'm about 6'3" and it took everything to get it up and seated in the battery tray!!!

Because of the way my Optima was installed by PO, I had to turn the battery facing backward. I still have a few things I need to do to clean up the install. I'd like to get some of the Military Style clamps and increase the gauge of the wires, but I will probably wait until I find a winch before I take the time to do this. Maybe when I re-wire, I'll turn the battery around facing forward?

You are right there....these batteries are definately heavy! The group 31 Deka I have is 71#'s!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Royal biatch to get in and out of the battery box! :rant:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
That would be a real pain to lift two of them to hang under the rear deck... :eek:

I'd need a hydraulic lift!! And more spring lift in the rear. :lmao:

So why didn't CR recommend the top three? :confused:
Oh yeah... they are CR. :rolleyes:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Their "best buy" recommendation is always very good quality for a great price, not the best quality at any price. But they always show you their rankings, so you can buy the top rated _____ if you so choose. That's almost never the bargain.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I picked up the Deka 31 and a Deka 78 AGM. I was suprised just how small the 78 is and how big the 31 is! Both are installed minus the hold down for the 31.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I picked me up a 9A34.. AGM. we'll see how it goes.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
group 31!!!:eek: that's a big freakin' battery...class 8 tractor trailers run group 31s