• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Minnesota 40

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Not a whole lot of progress this weekend, its Easter and kims birthday tomorrow and some family is visiting ( first guests in a year since covid).

I got the rollbar and seats pulled out. Still need to do a thorough cleaning, but since I have the Sor covers and foam, I thought I could start plugging away at those during the week, and it will be nice to have the interior squared away as I plan to drive this as I chip away at mechanicals.

i-k8GJt9L-M.jpg

The jumpseats need a little straightening, and some of the spot welds popped. Should be easy to reweld. They cut off the arms to make the rollbar work, but thats ok, I dig the rollbar.

i-5NwppSz-M.jpg

I left the driver seat in so I could still drive it. Taking it in for a new windshield soon. Got the weatherstripping from cruisercorps. Hope its not crap.

Anyone want these old jumpseat covers? The tops are in good shape. The bottoms are toast, but could be good patterns if you were scratch building. Going in the trash if no one needs them.

i-9tHLXPb-M.jpg

Not going to burn them, although its tempting!

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
The cowl/hood vent was stuck solid and packed with pine needles. Took that apart and the gasket and tubes were actually in decent shape. Cleaned that out, freed up the linkage and its working fine again.

i-HRTXHNV-L.jpg
i-cDH6wMJ-L.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Purists love the horse hair fyi

It also burns HOT if so inclined

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
So I called a couple of windshield shops to see about getting a new windshield, but no one can get a replacement and neither shop cuts windshield glass. I have an appointment to take it to a custom glass shop who claims they can cut one using the old as a template and install if I have weatherstripping, which I do. Anyone done this recently? Really curious what this will cost. Just did our Tundra and it was under $300. I'm already into the weatherstripping for the 40 for over $100. Would be ironic if a flat chunk of glass costs more.

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
I have and I believe it was around $160 or so for the glass to be cut.

cbmontgo

Hard Core 4+
I did this a couple of years ago on my ‘77. Seems like it was $140 to get them to cut the glass, based on the old windshield that they used as a template. The install was pretty easy. I reused the old weatherstripping.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Doesn't look like you can get the glass from Toyota anymore, but I found a dealer who has it for $221.
Part no. 5611190301

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
SOR will sell you a paper template for $15 that can be used to cut a replacement windshield. This is probably only necessary if you don't have the old glass.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
SOR will sell you a paper template for $15 that can be used to cut a replacement windshield. This is probably only necessary if you don't have the old glass.
It might still be useful to use a known good template if you can't say for sure the windshield you have now is correctly dimensioned. A copy of a copy of a copy might mean it's become slightly off.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I had some time today to try a leak down test. doing it solo I was having a hard time with the compressor pressure forcing the pistons to roll before I could get a reading. Then had my 11 yo kid working the starter, clutch and brake (good practice!) to hold it steady while air pressure was applied. that worked well but we wore the battery down cranking it to get each cylinder to tdc. what a PITA... got some readings, but just seems way too inconsistent not knowing if I'm actually at perfect TDC on each cylinder. Whats the trick?

I heard internal block air on every cylinder. nothing from carb, exhaust or radiator. very inconclusive.

On a good note, its running really well and hasn't smoked since the initial startup after the carb swap and tuneup. I have the new waterpump in hand, so just need to get the radiator serviced and find new hoses and i`ll go through the cooling system.

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I got my 1st Covid vaccination today. Had little choice about time or place and had to drive an hour away to a small Iowa town to get it. So, took the day off, which fcked my already ruined work schedule since I had a full time crew guy bail last week. Missed another cruise moab...

Had the afternoon off though! Sweet. Let's work on the 40! :giggle:

Started right up and away I went to the glass shop for estimate on my windshield. Made it there, my longest drive yet with it. Highway time! No overheat, ran great and 65mph felt solid. They quoted $240 to cut and install a new piece of glass using oem weatherstripping im providing. Ok, sounds good, I have no other choices anyway. Appt for thursday. I don't think the guys in the shop have ever seen an old Toyota before, just flat glass tractor cabs.

Drive home... sudden engine stall at speed. I`m coasting at 45mph so I try a couple of restarts by popping the clutch, but no dice. Gas station appears and I coast in. Battery gives me a couple of cranks. She's dead. Oh crap. Spend a awhile hanging around the gas station waiting for someone to pull in that looks like they have jumper cables. I'm carrying nothing in the 40 but my stupid self and a fire extinguisher. A few lame Iowa State students Kum and Go (thats the name of the gas station too! No shit!? Ironic) Some construction crews pull in, I'm saved, I speak the lingo and look kinda homeless myself. A guy with tattoos covering his skull has some jumper cables in his giant dodge diesel truck and his boss is willing to help. Super nice, they like my old "jeep". Waited a bit while they buy a bunch of red bull and super yummy iowa gas station pizza (no irony, its really good). (y)

It cranked over faster than ever I've heard while tapped into the dodge 1 ton. Still no start. I have construction boss friend hop in the old 40 to man the clutch and crank while i poked around my newly wired coil, starter, carb, battery. (He was kind enough to ask if it was cool with his lit smoke. No problem dude!)

Still won`t start. I resort to the PO`s chunk of red wire still in the glove box. Jumper from the battery to the coil and it starts... ok, wtf, I just replaced everything from the ignition to the starter , coil, battery, terminals are clean... weird.

We have it running. Contruction boss asks how he can get out without taking his foot off clutch because he doesn't know if its in gear. I get to demonstrate the 3 on the tree, it stays running and I made it home and promptly connected it to the charger. :hill:

Last edited:

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Hot wiring skills are always in style!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like a poor connection between the electrical portion of the ignition switch and the coil.

I'll have to get back under the dash and trace that wire and see if I find any weirdness.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Adventure! Glad you got it home man. We miss you here in Moab bro. :cry:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Not a whole lot of progress this weekend. Spent most of Saturday giving Imelda the 91 pickup some love. I got sucked into the patina preservation thread on mud so decided to try some of the techniques on imelda before unleashing the chemicals on the 40.

Pretty impressed with how nicely I was able to erase surface rust with a 50/50 mix of CLR in a spray bottle and a scotchbrite sponge and rinse with water. Thread suggested boiled linseed and fluid film too. I`ll try the fluid film underneath only. Paint is in good shape except for rock chips, same as the 40.

i-PPZfh5P-L.jpg

I got the busted spot welds on the jump seat tack welded and rattle canned some fj40 pewter over it that cruiser corps sells. Decent match. Its more silver and has more flake in it, but not bad. Started the reupholstery with the SOR foam and covers. Should be nice when they're all done and reinstalled. Will probably take me a few weeks of weekends! I only get a few hours a week to play.😉

i-9GPCLWm-L.jpg
i-SDMjp5T-M.jpg

Took my kid to the dairy queen in the 40. Saw a crown vic pull through the drive thru with 35`s and a giant chrome duck head for a hood ornament. Really wanted to get a pic but the guy driving it was really scary looking and was staring at us the whole time. :hill:

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
Those jump seats turned out great!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Those jump seats turned out great!
Thanks Steve, wish I could have sent them to you. It's some serious time and effort! I will have had my fill for awhile after 1 set.

Last edited: