• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Meat Smokers? Who has them...

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
We too have a Weber. You want to do quick burgers or dogs fire the grill. You want uber moist and flavor packed whole chicken or anything pork or most things beef Smoke em. You want wings or shrimp that will make you famous, smoke em. You want a wood fired pizza, throw a stone on the Treag and bring it to temp and throw on a cheap grocery store take - bake or a Papa Murphys and your neighbors will be over when it starts to sizzle!

What he said.

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
smooooookin!

I have an enormous Char griller that I got from Lowes about 6 years ago. I did not pay this for mine: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gri...nd-Horizontal-Smoker-in-Black-93560/207202418

It's been good and bad. I like the gas grill convenience, and I do like the charcoal flavor, but it's HUGE. The metal is not very thick either, so you have to feed the side box quite a bit if you are going to do a long smoke in winter. I just smoked a salmon a few weeks ago, and that was easy. Chickens are pretty easy too.

If I had it to do all over again, I would be looking for a "egg" type cooker with a bbq guru add on, or at least one of the old school oklahoma smokers that were still made of heavy gauge steel. I figure if I find a killer deal on an egg or Primo, I'll jump ship and go for the heavy. There's just no beating a well insulated smoker.

Edit: Did a quick google on Oklahoma, and they did sell the rights to it. Once that happens, they turned to crap, so either find an original or go to the guy that sold out and then started another company still making them out of 1/4" steel. http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com/

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I love the Treager Little Tex also. Plenty big enough the most part. I still use the gas grill for quick hit things with fire - like steaks and burgers. As well as my weber on the deck. I found that after several hours on the Treager. The smoke ring and flavor is set and putting in the oven at low temps with moisture pans or whatever gets the similar results without going thru pellets. Not that it's a big deal. That's just what I've been doing lately.

The only thing is that the Treager has no heat sink. So the bomb would be a green egg type thing with electric pellet feeder. They make them. My local bbq guy (Ruffs) was showing me one. But they are expensive compared to the L-Tex.

Last edited:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I love the Treager Little Tex also. Plenty big enough the most part. I still use the gas grill for quick hit things with fire - like steaks and burgers. As well as my weber on the deck. I found that after several hours on the Treager. The smoke ring and flavor is set and putting in the oven at low temps with moisture pans or whatever gets the similar results without going thru pellets. Not that it's a big deal. That's just what I've been doing lately.

The only thing is that the Treager has no heat sink. So the bomb would be a green egg type thing with electric pellet feeder. They make them. My local bbq guy (Ruffs) was showing me one. But they are expensive compared to the L-Tex.

I layered several fire bricks (6 or 7) under the fire pan and it made a huge differance on sustained heat both when its warm out and when its freezing! Also saves on pallets!

Fishy

Hard Core 4+
Like Brad, we have a Big Green Egg and before you buy a pellet smoker, take a good look at a large BGE. It's the last grill you'll ever buy in your life. We cook EVERYTHING on the BGE.

I do steaks at 700°, pizza at 650°, burgers at 450-500°. I can smoke a brisket at 200° all night long and not have to touch it. We haven't taken the cover off of our Webber grill in 4years. A steak off the BGE is so good you'll walk to nearest steakhouse and slap the chef right in the mouth.

Treager smokers are nice, but they don't have the same abilities as a BGE. Pellets do not produce the smoky taste that I like either. I can even set the temp super low and smoke nuts and veggies.

They make temperature regulators for the BGE, similar to the electric pellet fed Treager version. It has a fan that kicks on and off to maintain temperature. For all the game meat that you cook, a BGE is perfect.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I layered several fire bricks (6 or 7) under the fire pan and it made a huge differance on sustained heat both when its warm out and when its freezing! Also saves on pallets!

Yea, I'll be picking those up soon. Good idea. When it's cold I blast thru pellets.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+

sleeoffroad

Hard Core 4+
Only one word. If you want the Land Cruiser of smokers, Yoder made in Wichita KS. Build like the proverbial sh($#t brick house. Treager is OK, but the construction does not come close to the Yoder. I have the 640 model. It weighs 335lbs. That should tell you something.

http://www.yodersmokers.com/ys640-pellet-grill.html

Attachments

• ys640_hero.png
    ys640_hero.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 183

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I suspect Scott Y is now trying to figure out how to justify a new smoker.

Christo, is that a counter weight on the top of the lid :eek:

This decision is getting harder with every post.

Yup, Scott just got put into salesman mode at his homestead! :lmao:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Na, although I like the name and I'm sure it's very high end - I don't need the Land Cruiser of smokers. My IFS Lil Tex works just fine. Uncle Ben should upgrade though.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Na, although I like the name and I'm sure it's very high end - I don't need the Land Cruiser of smokers. My IFS Lil Tex works just fine. Uncle Ben should upgrade though.

Only the guy who sells Land Cruiser parts can afford that beast! Those of us that buy Land Cruiser parts can only afford the cheapo Treagers! :rolleyes:

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I have a cheapo charcoal walmart smoker that my dad bought my wife and I for a housewarming present. Best way to go if you're serious about smoking meats. I smoke everything on it from pork ribs to mac and cheese. Granted the setup is probably more difficult and the heat may not be as constant or as regulated but damn it makes some killer chow.

Attachments

• client_PART_1442165289599_Message_1442165274330.jpg
    client_PART_1442165289599_Message_1442165274330.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 196

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I went down to my local dealer and checked out the BGE, Traeger, and a new option simply because it's available here, Louisiana Gills.

http://www.louisiana-grills.com/tablet/lg1100.html

The BGE seems appealing until I price it out. They nickel and dime you pretty hard fast. The Traeger seems pretty simple.

The Louisiana Grill is very similar to the Traeger but seemed a better value. Heavier metal construction. And the ability to cook at higher temps with direct heat.

I feel like I could loose my current propane grill and do everything on the Louisiana (or the BGE).

Fishy

Hard Core 4+
I went down to my local dealer and checked out the BGE, Traeger, and a new option simply because it's available here, Louisiana Gills.

http://www.louisiana-grills.com/tablet/lg1100.html

The BGE seems appealing until I price it out. They nickel and dime you pretty hard fast. The Traeger seems pretty simple.

The Louisiana Grill is very similar to the Traeger but seemed a better value. Heavier metal construction. And the ability to cook at higher temps with direct heat.

I feel like I could loose my current propane grill and do everything on the Louisiana (or the BGE).

I fired the BGE up the other day just because my wife wanted our sandwiches grilled. I haven't even taken the cover off of our expensive Webber grill since buying the BGE (almost 5 years). It's the best money we've spent in years.

The main things you'll need for the BGE are a stand and plate setter. I would say that the cast iron grill grate is a must-have too. I buy lump charcoal from Home Depot and wood from ACE, HD, Lowes or any BBQ store. There are tons of gadgets and gizmos for the BGE, but you don't need most of them. Home Depot actually has a Komodo grill that's like a cheaper version of the BGE and all of those accessories fit and work on the large BGE, for less money.

I wouldn't even fire up the Webber for a hot dog.

Everyone that I know with a BGE says it's the best grill they've ever owned, but it sounds like everyone here is really happy with their Traeger too.

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
I have the Traeger also from Costco. I shopped around and the Traeger at Costco has a drawer warmer the others don't for the same price.

I am not as proficient and creative as Wes and Larger, I use it mainly for ribs, chicken and Salmon.

Costco Hams also taste fantastic in the Traeger! Just did that over Easter.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Everyone that I know with a BGE says it's the best grill they've ever owned, but it sounds like everyone here is really happy with their Traeger too.

I think the first decision I need to make is if I want the simplicity of the pellet smoker. Basically set it and forget. Or go with a more traditional lump/split wood fuel and have to monitor the smoker a little more.

It's pretty clear that the BGE is more versatile than the Traeger. But double the cost. If I go that way I'll build my own stand. Those are stupid over priced for what they are. Kind of leaning this way right now.

Those of you with the BGE, what size to you have and do you have any regrets not getting a bigger one?

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I use the Weber Smokey Mountain, 18.5" model. It's a vertical / bullet shaped smoker with two cooking grates. It can easily do 2 15# turkeys, or up to 4 butts in the 6-8# pound (each) range. I've been using the WSM for several years and have been very happy using it; holds temp well, easy to use, plenty of space for me. The WSM has models smaller and larger than the 18.5" depending on your needs.

I also have this Weber WSM. You gotta babysit it a little bit, but with my wireless temp gauges, it is not too big of a deal. Holds temp very well for a vertical smoker...I like it a lot. And its "cheap" compared to other options.

A big green egg would be on my "awesome to have" list. They do the same type of cooking with way less charcoal.

EDIT: BTW...you can get pretty good size bags of apple, hickory, mesquite, etc at Walmart this time of year in their patio section.

Fishy

Hard Core 4+
I think the first decision I need to make is if I want the simplicity of the pellet smoker. Basically set it and forget. Or go with a more traditional lump/split wood fuel and have to monitor the smoker a little more.

It's pretty clear that the BGE is more versatile than the Traeger. But double the cost. If I go that way I'll build my own stand. Those are stupid over priced for what they are. Kind of leaning this way right now.

Those of you with the BGE, what size to you have and do you have any regrets not getting a bigger one?

Agreed, the stand isn't worth the retail cost. I was able to get a floor model for under $100 from Ace and I planned on building a stand, but then I fell out of my truck.

99% of the time, the large is the perfect size. There have only been two times when I wished I had the XL. Once was when the butcher at my local King Soopers said he had a 20 pound brisket that was too big for most folks and offered it to us for $26. I had to fold it up a little to make it fit, but it still worked. That was soon after we purchased the grill and I hadn't cooked on it very much. Now, I would cut the brisket in half, place them side-by-side and pull the flat off after about 8-10 hours and leave the rest for another 4-6 hours.

The other was when we had a neighborhood party and I would have liked 4 pork shoulders, but could only fit 3 on the Egg. That was still 30 pounds of pork.

I can cook 4 big ribeyes, maybe 10-12 burgers, 15-20 chicken thighs, xl pizza. We're a family of six and it's plenty big enough for us. I can run the smoker at 200°-225° for 12-14 hours on less than one $8 bag of wood. I buy my lump from Home Depot for $10 and that lasts me a long time.

The initial cost to own the BGE is high, but I think you'll spend less on wood and lump over time. My buddy bought a huge stack of pecan wood for his trailer smoker and I grabbed about 8 pieces from him and cut them into baseball-sized chunks. I cooked for free all summer.

There's an EggFest in Avon next month. http://biggreenegg.com/eggfests/