LongCruiser woes in Southern California

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
First of all, pardon me if I don’t reply quickly here because I’m juggling a lot of things.
Second of all, no one is hurt, and this is nothing that time and money can’t fix.
Third of all super lucky to have an old-school roommate and his wife that have a place close to where the excitement happened.
Fourth of all the tow rig driver was a Toyota guy and the towing company was top-notch. Hopefully I’ll get the tow paid for by insurance. I had that coverage it was an $800 tow. Plus I paid for a week of storage. 😳
Fifth of all the community is already been great and trying to figure out how to help me out with the bigger picture of what I do now that I’m safely off the highway, had a good meal, and a good night sleep. And I’ve had 2 cups of coffee this morning. So lucky to break down near a good friend and a decent size town.

Short story is long cruiser lost its head gasket on the interstate 10 leaving Indio California where I was having lunch with a buddy while on my way to spend the night visiting with Robbie near Scottsdale and continuing onto Denver.

This followed a fantastic week at king of the Hammers. I hope next year we can put a group together from the club because it is an absolutely amazing event.

I’ve been in touch with @jps8460 and @rckhound and gotten some great high-level advice.

I’m considering all options, including finding someone in SoCal who wants to work with me and put an LS in, find a running 1FZ and do a quick swap to get me home, getting it hauled back to Denver on a truck, or driving it out into the desert with a whole bunch of C4 and BIP it live on YouTube for the advertising. For that matter, there’s a fair amount of activity on Instagram @LongCruiser. If you follow or comment thee mention you’re from Rising Sun and I’ll follow back.

I’d really love to work with a club member who has done an LS swap into an 80. I know if I go to a shop they’re going do it right and that’s beyond the budget. I also know that currently I don’t have the knowledge and drive to take it on myself. I’ll be frustrated with all the little things that everyone else has figured out but I’ll still get tripped up on. @Notyourmomslx450 has a life and a job, so no I probably can’t coerce him into this project but it sure would be sweet. insert begging here. 🙏🙏 The Jordan family already saved one LongCruiser trip with an air-conditioning hose. 😇

So that’s where it at and all update as able and all suggestions welcome. Fastest way to reach me is a text or a phone call.

IMG_6309.jpegIMG_6338.jpegIMG_6341.jpegIMG_6314.jpegIMG_6321.jpegIMG_6323.jpeg

Attachments

• 1707153229431.png
    1707153229431.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm sure if you sweet talked him enough he'd help you out 🫶 😜

Seriously though glad you are safe and everything worked out the way it did.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I'd more than happy to help! I did my swap it was during covid, so I had nowhere to go. I worked on it during weekends only and it took me from April till September to get it done... Wiring and all the "small things" took the longest. Technically i'm still not done as I don't have AC yet and no working tach still....

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Get a standalone harness and you’ll be up quicker. My lq4/4l80 swap into my 78 F150 should be firing next week, we started in the beginning of January.
A running donor helps a lot too. Tons of rusty running trucks just east of us.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I’m preparing to get hauled back to Denver by a guy who transports vehicles for another guy I know and who has moved many cruisers. He can’t fit Lightning (my homemade travel trailer). Last night we moved lightning temporarily to the driveway of my CHP dispatcher who it turns out is a former Baja racer. Solid guy.

Today it’s raining but hopefully the California atmospheric river you hear in the news stays just north of us. I hope to pull the spark plugs and do a bit more diagnosing. since I have an option to get home that is spendy but fair and don’t have the resources here to find and easily swap in a running 1FZ and so far no local LS swap angel, most practical is to get home. Still major challenges, including where do you keep and work on a 30 foot, 8,800 lb Offroad Limousine that cannot move under its own power in February in Colorado.

One step at a time.

RDub

If money wasn’t a concern I’m sure Jeremiah Proffitt has space for it!

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Dam......Thats a multi-edition article right there! Goodluck getting home!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I spent a chunk of today at the tow yard. I was intending to diagnose somewhat and organize and clean out all my camping gear in preparation for the drive home.
Very happily surprised to discover that the truck starts and runs. It has rod knock for sure. It’s great I should be able to drive it on and off the car hauler and move it around when we drop it in Denver. A club member I won’t get name has told me I can bring it to their property just north of town and maybe even work on it there. Just having a place to bring it. Another club member offered me space at his place to and I was thinking about that one. But he’s in the hills closer to Denver on the flats is better.

My ride back to Denver had some trouble with his truck today that’s not yet sorted so we won’t be leaving in the morning. Hopefully he gets it sorted.

I spoke to Jeremiah and I’m sure he and his guy will for some useful advice but it doesn’t help me too much to have it down at his shop since it’s so far away.

Upon my return, I’m gonna try to assemble the brain trust of V8 swappers And ply them with pizza and beer to come up with a plan. If all else fails, I’ll look for good running 1FZ that somebody is just pulling out of their 95 to 97 and swap that in and keep driving.

IMG_6416.jpegIMG_6338.jpeg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
This whole event and follow-up would make a good Toyota Trails article, so don't spill all the beans here ;-)
Oranges. I won’t spill the oranges that I’ve just picked and I’m eating fresh off the tree. Hoping that I get out of here tomorrow but his truck is still not fixed.
One upside is if I rent an SUV I can haul a trailer home.

I should tell you how much I’m suffering.

Attachments

• IMG_6426.jpeg
    IMG_6426.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6429.jpeg
    IMG_6429.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6431.jpeg
    IMG_6431.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19

shellb

Hard Core 4+
Can we use you as a proxy "fly and drive"?? We can hit up clist and create a second adventure to get you home!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Can we use you as a proxy "fly and drive"?? We can hit up clist and create a second adventure to get you home!
How would that work?

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Oranges. I won’t spill the oranges that I’ve just picked and I’m eating fresh off the tree. Hoping that I get out of here tomorrow but his truck is still not fixed.
One upside is if I rent an SUV I can haul a trailer home.

I should tell you how much I’m suffering.
When life gives you oranges you make orangeade or something like that. 🍺

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
We can buy a fun rig out there and you can drive it back??

Win/win?
Hell yeah there’s all kinds of cool stuff here. Anything that could flat tow a 9000 pound 30 foot cruiser? I could pull the DS and go.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I can’t attend the meeting tonight in person but maybe someone can get on the Starlink at the Grange and I’ll join by zoom and we can make rescuing long cruiser an agenda item. I got money to put towards gas and hotel for that drive. Figure 2000 - 2200 miles round-trip.