Land Cruiser Heritage Museum - SLC

DanS

Rising Sun Member
I'd be curious which restomods you don't like in the museum. At current there are only ~5 I can think of?

Frakenstein FJ45 - Ironically a 'fan favorite' for many visitors
Icon FJ44 - It's strategically parked near the door so it can come and go :D
Proffits built Cummins 79 Series
76/80 Hybrid - A good conversation point about how to have a 'legal' late model 7x Series in the US
The Lizard King which is for sale, help us solve that problem :D
The only one in the list that I think deserves a place is the Icon. Not for me, but I think it's hard to discount the cache that Jonathan and Icon brought to the cruiser world (both good and bad parts to that).

There was also a Central American 70/80 build as I recall last time I was there.

The other 95% (literally) are either stock survivors, stock or near stock restorations or builds that are very colloquially/culturally significant to their markets or have done something amazing (E7 fleet, fire trucks, military, ambulance). For example one could call our HJ75 a resto-mod? but it's also a very very typical build out for an Australian outback Land Cruiser so that patina and style absolutely makes sense to me in a museum format.

The HJ75 is absolutely the kind of thing that should be there.

I extensively volunteer and work with railroad preservation, so I have some opinions about preservation, especially operational preservation. The "in service" history is every bit as interesting and important as the "as built" stuff. But for my museum tastes, I'm always less interested in fancy toys (Like muscle cars--every car museum has a crap ton of 68 Camaros and shit, and virtually none have trucks that put food on people plates, or just did what they were designed to do day in and day out for a long time. That's by far my favorite part of the LCHM. The FQ15, the HJ47RP, GRJ150W, and the fire trucks are the ones that really interest me. If the museum had unlimited space, then a "restomod" wing would be interesting in it's own right, but I know space is tight and if there's one thing I would remove to make more room would be those. Just my opinion.

Have something we are missing on display? Please consider donating it. We are a non-profit 501c3 working to preserve the heritage of the Land Cruiser and continue to be an education center for new and old enthusiasts alike.
This is a great point. My general complaint about auto museums goes back a long time. To the point that I must have convinced my Dad to donate his VERY original '53 Power Wagon to the state's auto museum because it worked for the University its entire life. I don't have any trucks to donate, but I'm wondering about parts/components to show the evolution of things like steering knuckles, brakes, etc... That's fascinating stuff, and I can't be the only one who would think so.

EDIT--the biggest missing pieces in my mind are the conflict trucks. Not sure how to get a 45 or 75 that has had a cannon hacked onto the back of it into the states, even for a museum though. Unless somebody can get the state department involved to facilitate the process...

Dan

cruiseroutfit

Wasatch Cruisers
Cruise Moab Committee
EDIT--the biggest missing pieces in my mind are the conflict trucks. Not sure how to get a 45 or 75 that has had a cannon hacked onto the back of it into the states, even for a museum though. Unless somebody can get the state department involved to facilitate the process...

Dan

Great thoughts Dan, I appreciate your reply! As you may have noticed, the museum as culled many of the previous restomods from the collection and I anticipate that will happen more and more as pure specimens are found. There used to be 3-4 big Proffits Crawler builds, and while amazingly cool machines, they didn't have tons of DNA. Likewise on the Blizzard and Delta Mini-Cruiser collection, all (4) of those recently left to make way for the Land Speed Cruiser and Terminal List 6x. Ironically both super modified. Simply put we need more room!

We do have some wall space so if you can think of a neat tutorial display that could fit on a wall, we'd love to discuss. Once example I'm working on is a collection of the many different free-wheel hubs that were on Land Cruisers OE and aftermarket. Emblem evolution are another that have been discussed. The place is hardly complete or static. :cool:

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Great thoughts Dan, I appreciate your reply! As you may have noticed, the museum as culled many of the previous restomods from the collection and I anticipate that will happen more and more as pure specimens are found. There used to be 3-4 big Proffits Crawler builds, and while amazingly cool machines, they didn't have tons of DNA. Likewise on the Blizzard and Delta Mini-Cruiser collection, all (4) of those recently left to make way for the Land Speed Cruiser and Terminal List 6x. Ironically both super modified. Simply put we need more room!

We do have some wall space so if you can think of a neat tutorial display that could fit on a wall, we'd love to discuss. Once example I'm working on is a collection of the many different free-wheel hubs that were on Land Cruisers OE and aftermarket. Emblem evolution are another that have been discussed. The place is hardly complete or static. :cool:
I'll drop you a PM Kurt! Or would it be better to reach out to Dan?

I'm STARTING the process of moving the parts stash from NM up to CO, and selling/disposing of some extra stuff that I couldn't never bring myself to toss out. So there's stuff to use for sure...

Dan

cruiseroutfit

Wasatch Cruisers
Cruise Moab Committee
I'll drop you a PM Kurt! Or would it be better to reach out to Dan?

I'm STARTING the process of moving the parts stash from NM up to CO, and selling/disposing of some extra stuff that I couldn't never bring myself to toss out. So there's stuff to use for sure...

Dan

Either works. Dan is a paid staffer and our amazing curator. I'm a founding supporter and member of the BOD. Either of us can make it an action item to discuss.

Last edited:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I have nothing interesting to add to this conversation other than saying it is absolutely fascinating to hear you guys talk about this stuff! Thanks for all that you do, Kurt!

Ann

Rising Sun Member
I'd be curious which restomods you don't like in the museum. At current there are only ~5 I can think of?

76/80 Hybrid - A good conversation point about how to have a 'legal' late model 7x Series in the US

The other 95% (literally) are either stock survivors, stock or near stock restorations or builds that are very colloquially/culturally significant to their markets or have done something amazing (E7 fleet, fire trucks, military, ambulance). For example one could call our HJ75 a resto-mod? but it's also a very very typical build out for an Australian outback Land Cruiser so that patina and style absolutely makes sense to me in a museum format.

Have something we are missing on display? Please consider donating it. We are a non-profit 501c3 working to preserve the heritage of the Land Cruiser and continue to be an education center for new and old enthusiasts alike.

We do have many engines on stands to display, F, 2F, 3FE, 1FZ, 2UZ, 3UR and 1VD. Transmissions and t-cases would be cool too but real estate for space intensive displays is hard. Anyone want to have a museum addition with their name on it?
In 2022 Jeff and I went to the LCHM. He saw the "Lizard King" and was like "I Want." and I was like :unsure: we will need my crew cab Duramax back for a tow rig....but alas there it sits. Sorry we didn't help you out Kurt!

But seriously, we just did a turn and burn and it was great! Loved it. Would love to join this expedition if I can!

Attachments

• LCHM.jpg
    LCHM.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 39

HDavis

Hard Core 4+

We do have many engines on stands to display, F, 2F, 3FE, 1FZ, 2UZ, 3UR and 1VD. Transmissions and t-cases would be cool too but real estate for space intensive displays is hard. Anyone want to have a museum addition with their name on it?
Might I suggest adding a Stout to the collection? It's not a Land Cruiser but it gets the love from the community as if it were one. When people see mine, if it's not the first time they have heard of the Stout it's probably the first time they have seen one in person.

It sure would be cool to make this trip in the Stout with everyone, but I don't think my body couldn't handle that many consecutive days in the confined space of the cab.

Also, as an Architect, I would love to design a new wing for the LCHM, talk about a dream!

cruiseroutfit

Wasatch Cruisers
Cruise Moab Committee
if they're culling stuff, i'll take frankencruiser so dan doesn't have to look at it :)

It‘s not currently in the museum as space is limited. We’ll see if it comes back in or gets sold :D

cruiseroutfit

Wasatch Cruisers
Cruise Moab Committee
Might I suggest adding a Stout to the collection? It's not a Land Cruiser but it gets the love from the community as if it were one. When people see mine, if it's not the first time they have heard of the Stout it's probably the first time they have seen one in person.

It sure would be cool to make this trip in the Stout with everyone, but I don't think my body couldn't handle that many consecutive days in the confined space of the cab.

Also, as an Architect, I would love to design a new wing for the LCHM, talk about a dream!

There were a few Stouts around the museum in it’s early days at the MMP, they were never inside and displayed, they’ve since been sold. While there are some shared components (taillight parts) and build considerations, they dont have any more Land Cruiser DNA than a Corona or Corolla really. So imo it would be scope creep to have them. I love Stouts and owned an RK41 for many years.

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Reviving this thread. Last I saw June was the month sounding like might happen.

Specifically how's June 22-23rd?

Just tossing it out there. That Sat is also the regularly scheduled Cruisers & Coffee.

Allen

hitchhiker

Rising Sun Member
Reviving this thread. Last I saw June was the month sounding like might happen.

Specifically how's June 22-23rd?

Just tossing it out there. That Sat is also the regularly scheduled Cruisers & Coffee.

Allen
That doesn’t work for me since I’m leaving on another trip 2 days after that.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I would wait and do this for Cruiser Fest, which will probably be in September (at least it was last year). Cruiser Dan has hinted that the guest speaker this year will be worth going for.

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I think showing up for Cruiserfest would be rad AF. Maybe show up a (few) day(s) early to see the Museum without the crowds. I know I'd spend a good amount of time just drinking it all in. Seeing Cruiserfest would be the cherry on top.

An alternative: We pre-run the route for Cruiserfest in June! Boom! Everyone's happy!