Intro to Snow Wheeling- Saturday February 11th

krispykritter

Rock Stacker
Yankee Hill update - the trail is ICEY! Myself and a friend made it all the way to the top, but he's in a locked bronco and I needed to use chains on the front end to get all the way up. ATRAC alone didn't cut it for a fat 100, but the guys with front and rear lockers did make it without chains.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Yankee Hill update - the trail is ICEY! Myself and a friend made it all the way to the top, but he's in a locked bronco and I needed to use chains on the front end to get all the way up. ATRAC alone didn't cut it for a fat 100, but the guys with front and rear lockers did make it without chains.
Looks like Saturday will be very warm so hopefully it will soften up during the run enough.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
When you say you made it all the way to the top... not just the parking lot, you actually did Yankee Hill? Did you go down through Alice? or could you have?

krispykritter

Rock Stacker
Went all the way up through the rock garden to what I believe is the peak, then went back down the other side through Alice.

The snow was quite deep up near the top at the last narrow section before the tundra area. With chains, I managed to drive between the wheel ruts that stopped both a Jeep and Bronco on 35's, then used a kinetic rope to pull them them through.

The deep snow drift in the Tundra section required a fair bit of entry speed, but all four vehicles with us managed to get through with enough speed...and enough tries.

The steep climb through the rocks was very difficult, even with chains. I gave up the first time and backed back down, but then the sasquatched bronco made it and I couldn't let him beat me.

Towards the bottom of the drive down to Alice the snow got quite deep but there was a decent set of tracks through it, and keeping a little speed let the two of us that were left sneak through any deep spots.

PXL_20230205_232446377.jpg

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@nakman Dropped off my front driveshaft to be rebuilt almost two weeks ago now and it’s not done yet. We’re stilling aiming to come, but if the driveshaft doesn’t come through in time it’s probably a no go - I’d be one-wheel-drive. Fingers crossed.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
@nakman Dropped off my front driveshaft to be rebuilt almost two weeks ago now and it’s not done yet. We’re stilling aiming to come, but if the driveshaft doesn’t come through in time it’s probably a no go - I’d be one-wheel-drive. Fingers crossed.
Bill's Englewood? I think they sent me home with yours today, they mixed it up with my 80 shaft from the sounds of it. I'll be taking it back first thing tomorrow morning. I started using Jim to lessen confusion and see what it did for me?!

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Yeah, Bill’s has mine (or HAD mine). The one you got doesn’t fit or what? Mine should have three new u-joints, clearanced yolks, and a longer slip shaft. I can get in touch with them tomorrow.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah, Bill’s has mine (or HAD mine). The one you got doesn’t fit or what? Mine should have three new u-joints, clearanced yolks, and a longer slip shaft. I can get in touch with them tomorrow.
You can still participate in the training stuff with only one driveshaft. Unless it's snowing or something I'm sure you'd have driven there in 2wd anyway. You wouldn't make it too much further though obviously... up to you, hopefully you guys get this sorted!

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for the update. I didn't hear anything about bad ice - that's good. I've been wanting to see a Bronco Sasquatch edition in action.

krispykritter

Rock Stacker
Thanks for the update. I didn't hear anything about bad ice - that's good. I've been wanting to see a Bronco Sasquatch edition in action.

I can tell you that the IFS in the squatched bronco let it make it farther through the deep snow than the rubicon on 35's. Both still got stuck and had to be yanked out backwards though.

They both tried to drive out of the ruts but couldn't climb out. Only my chains allowed me to climb out and straddle. The surface of the snow was frozen enough to allow even the fat 100 to not break through in some places.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I think the problem is that the bronco was the wrong vintage.

Didn't realize it was icy. Not sure how the mud tires are going to like that. Maybe I will bring imelda and chain all 4.....

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I think the problem is that the bronco was the wrong vintage.

Didn't realize it was icy. Not sure how the mud tires are going to like that. Maybe I will bring imelda and chain all 4.....
It's almost always icy up on yankee

krispykritter

Rock Stacker
Was icey enough to let me slide backwards downhill after a spirited attempt and mash my (already mostly wrecked) bumper into the bank. Once I got the chains on a single axle, I had no more issues. Chains on all four would probably be overkill but would certainly maximize control!

PXL_20230205_185538216.jpg

PXL_20230205_185548706.jpg

PXL_20230205_190314737.jpg

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Was icey enough to let me slide backwards downhill after a spirited attempt and mash my (already mostly wrecked) bumper into the bank. Once I got the chains on a single axle, I had no more issues. Chains on all four would probably be overkill but would certainly maximize control!

View attachment 111477

View attachment 111479

View attachment 111478
I'm like 99% sure @J1000 pulled me out of that exact same spot last year. I ziged when I should have zaged.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Well the forecast is supposed to be 45 in Central City so let's hope it gets things soft enough to get places

N8R

Rising Sun Member
Count us in. We are finally in town for a run!

HankThe60Beast

Brand New
Was really hoping to make it tomorrow guys, but I am 99% sure I will have to work. Hoping I can make it to the next meet-up or trail run.