Intro to Snow Wheeling- Saturday February 11th

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
My first experience with the intro to snow was amazing! I had recovery points on the front and rear with a nylon strap I picked up off a job site that was not safe to fly stacks of rebar anymore. I do not recommend these straps! I still have one to move boulders when needed but it rarely see the light of day. I digress. My wife was with me and we hung out with the second crew to get the basics and ask questions. Very enlightening and it tuned my thought process to not only recovery, but doing it safely! Recently my wife used that knowledge from years ago to help out one of her friends get out of a snowbank in Denver. She came home all giddy and was bragging about her skills and how she used what she learned. It was a proud moment and reinforced how these lessons can translate to everyday life and not just be solely used offroad.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Well drat looks like things are stacking up against me on this but I still want to try and make it. We are having a ball at my parish at 6:30 that night (and I'm having my first date with a lady tomorrow so I might possibly have a date for this). I know anything offroad is hard to guarantee a schedule because of potential rescues and doubly so with snow but do we have at least a rough idea of how long this will be? Were we planning on doing the chute or just going to the base of it? Anyone else wanting to leave a little early so we have several going out? I'm guessing I would probably want to leave no later than 3:30 after airing up at the parking lot. Was there going to be any of the session done in the parking lot? Really want to get out and really test my upgrades a bit but I realize that there's a slim chance I can conform this into my schedule and I certainly don't want to cut anyone else's day short needlessly.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
@rushthezeppelin you can leave anytime you need to. I'm guessing we'll still be in the parking lot at 12:30, and then the first actual driving part is 10 minutes past that, am guessing that's what you're calling the chute? yes doing that. And then you'd have the option of turning left to drive down to Fall River Road, or turning right to do more of Yankee Hill... decide then if you feel like wheeling more, or play it safe. Some years the larger group makes it up and over Yankee Hill gets stuck a ton of times and doesn't make it to Idaho Springs until 7:00. Last year the whole thing was over by 1:00, no one could make it too much further past the big parking lot/playground area. But anyone can bail at any time, presuming they're not boxed in or anything.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
@rushthezeppelin you can leave anytime you need to. I'm guessing we'll still be in the parking lot at 12:30, and then the first actual driving part is 10 minutes past that, am guessing that's what you're calling the chute? yes doing that. And then you'd have the option of turning left to drive down to Fall River Road, or turning right to do more of Yankee Hill... decide then if you feel like wheeling more, or play it safe. Some years the larger group makes it up and over Yankee Hill gets stuck a ton of times and doesn't make it to Idaho Springs until 7:00. Last year the whole thing was over by 1:00, no one could make it too much further past the big parking lot/playground area. But anyone can bail at any time, presuming they're not boxed in or anything.

I was referring to the lot close to the graveyard and yes the chute is the one above the playground area parking a little ways into the trail. I guess depending on conditions I'll play it by ear if I do go.

cjlynch12

Brand New
I signed up in the other thread before this was posted, but I'll be joining the intro run since I'm new. Can't wait!

krispykritter

Rock Stacker
Went up last year with the intro to snow wheeling group - it was my first time on yankee after moving from Florida on January 2nd.

A couple weeks ago we made it to the last snow drift. Deep snow required me to winch myself out of a couple spots on the way up. A jeep on 35s also had to winch. A bronco on 35s didn't have to winch.

We didn't make the summit though, but it was a great day. Obviously conditions change a lot. Hope ya'll have a good time!

PXL_20230108_200416363.jpg

signal-2023-01-08-183127-13.jpeg

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yes indeed, open to anyone, and this event would also count towards membership qualification.

also as you see above we raised our game another big notch here with @baja1d joining... for anyone who doesn't know, Travis owns Outer Limit Supply, makers of supremely well thought out first aid kits and adventure gear. He also has a ton of experience with what we'll be talking about, from his own off-highway adventures to his other lives as a firefighter, EMT, and first responder. I'm super pumped to have him be a part of this training session here, thanks Travis! :bowdown:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I've also been exchanging emails with the CO 4x4 Recovery team all day... We've got a pretty decent discussion agenda outlined, and after which they're prepared to do some recovery demos, driver training, kinda whatever the group is leaning towards. This is shaping up to be a pretty sweet little event here folks, more to come!

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I've also been exchanging emails with the CO 4x4 Recovery team all day... We've got a pretty decent discussion agenda outlined, and after which they're prepared to do some recovery demos, driver training, kinda whatever the group is leaning towards. This is shaping up to be a pretty sweet little event here folks, more to come!
Man I sure hope things aren't too crazy on the trail and I can reliably plan on staying out there for a bit, definitely a lot of good training that I really need. Thanks again for hosting this.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I am on the fence one which one to do now! The lineup of your skills and education you bring to this @nakman with the others you have lined up to present materials are going to blow all of the past into to snow events off the mountain!

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I am on the fence one which one to do now! The lineup of your skills and education you bring to this @nakman with the others you have lined up to present materials are going to blow all of the past into to snow events off the mountain!
Join this one, could use more 3rd gen representation!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I just got an email from the Colorado 4x4 guys, they estimate they'll have 6-10 people joining us. Most of them will likely hang and do the training, but at least a few will want to run out with the early group. This is going to be so awesome!