• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Intro to Snow Wheeling- Saturday February 11th

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hi all, this year I'll again be facilitating an introduction to snow wheeling training session. This is open to anyone, and intended to provide an introduction of some snow wheeling concepts to folks who are somewhat new to the hobby, also refresh the skills of those more experienced, and provide a fun social event to anyone who would like to attend. Time dates are as follows....

Saturday, February 11.

Meet any time after 9:00. We'll start at 10:00

OHV Parking Lot, above Central City, past the cemetery https://goo.gl/maps/2s7SwT25BqNnBn5F7

39°48'43.8"N 105°32'24.1"W

39.812161, -105.540024

By now you have put it together that this is the same day as the official snow run https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/thr...-saturday-february-11-2023-yankee-hill.33529/ and you are correct. This is very intentional, and it's entirely up to you which group to join. If you want to get out and wheel, get first tracks through some drifts, exercise your straps, etc. then you'll want to get there early (8:30) and head up with @DomOfTheDead. More details on that are found in that run planning thread, linked above. Don't worry we'll bump into you guys a little later in the day.

If you'd like to instead take advantage of an opportunity to learn something new, talk about equipment, technique, even flex your own snow wheeling knowledge, stand around some more, socialize, then perhaps this session is for you. We'll cater the topics somewhat to the attendees, intended to give the group a little more confidence and experience with how to get out there safely and back home with a smile on your face.

Topics will include but are not limited to tires & tire pressure, basic vehicle equipment, recovery gear, vehicle dynamics and line selection. Like most training topics, it's impossible to be 100% comprehensive, rather the intent here is that everyone leaves with a more info than they had before they got there, an action list of what to do next, and like most things in life you tend to get out of it what you want to put into it. This is open to anyone, and any stock 4x4 vehicle. Bring warm clothes... especially boots, and jacket, hat and gloves... whatever makes you comfortable standing in a parking lot in the winter.

Last year we did a little driver training, talked about line selection, momentum, etc. as we hit the first little hill climb. We may do something similar again. Or we may decide we want to set up a couple recovery scenarios, doing a little deeper dive into attachment points, equipment, stuck assessments, and the like. Again pretty open to which direction this goes, we'll decide as a group once we cover a few basics. Oh but wait, there's more!!!!

This year for the first time ever we've partnered with the Colorado 4x4 Rescue and Recovery team! https://www.co4x4rnr.org/. They're going to be here also, will be bringing a few rigs & equipment for us to check out, do a presentation of their organization and what it does, and also participate in this training session with us. If you don't know them I'll just say that these guys are super legit- I can't wait to hear what they have to say and I have no doubt that I'll be learning something this day. check out their website and read through their Mission, I'm sure you'll see why we're so excited to have them join us for this.

Oh but hold on, there's even more!!!! We'll also be joined by @baja1d Travis from Outer Limit Supply, makers of super good first aid kits and other adventure gear. As we discuss topics of preparedness, safety, and potential injuries & health issues, his experience with this as a veteran wheeler, firefighter, EMT, and first responder is almost unparalleled... spend any amount of time with this guy and you'll walk away something new, that's a guarantee.

So bring some warm clothes, your great attitude, and come ready to engage in some great dialog centered around snow wheeling. Again, open to everyone. You don't want to miss this one!!!!

Last edited:

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Thinking this might be the run I go on. Been on 3 runs now, two in the snow and one of them on this trail but I still have zero actual training on things and have only watched one high center recovery.

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
Might be fun.

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
Tim, I didn't realize this is separate from the other main group, I'll be with the main group not the intro group, for clarity. Thanks

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Are we going to be on another GMRS channel from the main group? If so should post that up in the OP.

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Tim, I didn't realize this is separate from the other main group, I'll be with the main group not the intro group, for clarity. Thanks
ooops same here lol (my bad!)

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Karen & I are in. Believe it or not I've never been snow wheeling. We've cut our own Xmas trees on Forest Service land for a long time, but nothing considered real "wheeling". Tim, thanks for getting this together and thanks for getting Co4x4RR on board.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I have this on my calendar too Tim. Do you think chains are a requirement? I guess this depends how much snow will be up there. I don't have chains but should start looking for a set to fit 33/10.5R15's.

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
Tim, I'm im.

gearhead1

Rising Sun Member
I'm in and definitely would appreciate guidance on chains or no chains/ tire selection before the run. I can swap to my warm weather 33" Nitto Ridge Grapplers and bring chains or I can show up in my snow tires (33" Nokkian Hakapaletas w/studs).

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I'm in and definitely would appreciate guidance on chains or no chains/ tire selection before the run. I can swap to my warm weather 33" Nitto Ridge Grapplers and bring chains or I can show up in my snow tires (33" Nokkian Hakapaletas w/studs).
I would like to know also. I've got winter rated Wildpeak at3ws which work great on everything I've touched so far but haven't touched deeper snow yet (except getting stuck in a plow bank on Loveland pass but that stuff is concrete basically).

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
IMO studded snows over ridge grapplers. Nitto uses a rather hard compound on those RGs. Chains make me wary about getting too much wheel speed up when I run mine. Chains also take some of the fun out of it.

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
I will be there. 😊

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Definitely do not need chains for this. If you have them and want to bring them along, or if you want an excuse to buy some, then by all means sure go for it but I suspect most vehicles won't have them. Good discussion topic though, can add that to the list.

Also yes, we can pick a different com channel also, if necessary, before we start driving.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@nakman Do we need a winch? It may depend on the snow up there…

I had one on my old 60, but when I got the new 60 the weird homemade front bumper had no accommodation for a winch. With my new welder I plan on modifying it to fit the winch (and some extra lights) but I don’t know if I can get that done in time.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
No, you don't need a winch. There will be plenty around, should they be necessary. Same with a hi lift jack, straps, other gear... just bring what you have, no need to run out and buy anything or do any last minute mods.