Guanella Pass Snow Bash

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
We're doing a Guanella Pass Snow Bash on Saturday, 2/3. Meet at 9 AM at Grant, on US 285 - that should give us the time we need. This is a public service to another sector of the OHV community (we won't mention the fun involved for us, of course). That bears some explaining...

In my secret other life, I am a heavy motorcycle user... dirtbikes, dualsports, and adventure riding being my preferred flavor.
There is quasi-official traditional event put on every year on or about Valentine's day that is probably best described as a hooligan-esque version of Cruise Moab, Easter Jeep, and a bunch of snow and foolishness. OK, not NEARLY as big as EJ or CM, but pretty popular among the hard core.

It's called the Elephant Ride, over Guanella Pass. It's reputedly named after Hannibal invading Rome over the Alps on elephant-back, which seems appropriate. Motorcycles of all descriptions participate, bikes with sidecars do the best (Urals, Russian-made, or old BMWs, or homemade rigs of all kinds; dirtbikes with ice screws in their tires; streetbikes that don't get very far; sometimes the odd Harley or Indian; usually big thumpers and twins). Some guys camp at Grant the night before; some ride up if weather or ice permit; some trailer their bikes. The date is Feb. 10th & 11th. 10th is for campsite rambunctiousness, 11th is for mechanical event precipitation. Fancy for "breaking bikes".

It's a hoot. Most survive in one condition or another. The problem is, I understand Clear Creek has decided to not maintain Guanella at the top. Even a Ural with a driven sidecar wheel would find four feet of snow a showstopper. So I was asked (jokingly at first, then not so jokingly) if we might be interested in breaking trail.

Good opportunity for bridge-building in the OHV community. Sometimes there is tension between 4x4ers and dirt bikers, for no good reason IMHO.

As Red Green would say, we're all in this together.

Minimum tire size of 33s with chains and lockers are recommended, but we won't turn any courageous soul away. I'm not sure of the conditions or gates that may be closed, so we should scoot up there and do a pre-pre-run. I do understand we will climb over/through a 7' snowplow-induced glop of snow. All good!

We are doing it the weekend before the Elephant Ride so we don't invade the motorcycle nature of the event. That makes us, well, like, Visigoth mercenaries in service to Hannibal in his invasion. Or something. Child sacrifice not a part of this event.

Link to the Adventure Rider discussion: linkie
Link to the 'official' Elephant Ride page: linkie

Last edited:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I gots ta build me somma these:
56301864-M.jpg

Maybe cable-based in the front. Anybody got some busted or no longer in use car chains?

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Hey Bill. My buddy from church wasn't there this morning, so I wasn't able to find out about conditions at the top. I'll try again next Thursday.

Mark

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You comin', Mark? That would be awesome with those big meats and full size axles.

So far if I'm correct, Nakman, Farnham, Hulk and Treeroot are coming...

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I'll be there. :)

Convert

Hard Core 4+
I"m in FZJ 80 power URRRRRR,URRRRRR,URRRRRR:thumb:

Convert

Hard Core 4+
I gots ta build me somma these:
56301864-M.jpg

Maybe cable-based in the front. Anybody got some busted or no longer in use car chains?

Bill
PM me I have some old chains you can sort thru to build those
Dan

If they keep getting as much snow as they have been getting it's gonna be more like 8 foot drifts! Shoot CDOT prolly could have used our help yesterday clearing berthoud pass after the avalanche :D

I'll put this on my calander, and it's a great cuase to boot.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
That's what I understand as well. How deep was the snow on 1/6? Inquiring minds want to know. Guanella is right on the fringe, might have missed a bit of the snow we've been getting.

Hey, Molly, welcome! Looks like you've got an appetite for serious wheelin'. Hopefully we can lure you into club membership, eh?

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Looks like a lot of fun, if anyone has a open seat, would love to join in:photo: :cheers:

Hey, Molly, welcome! Looks like you've got an appetite for serious wheelin'. Hopefully we can lure you into club membership, eh?

Thanks Bill,

Yeah I am a total 4x4 Chika... I'm always up for some good wheeling! I was bummed I missed the Pizza run this last weekend. I have got to get my Ring and Pinion fixed before I will be wheeling my 4Runner, but my boyfriend also has a 93 4runner - and so his is the current wheeling rig :D So what's involed with membership? Is there a page that all that info lives on? I did not see it outright...

So if Guanella can't be cleared will the motorcycle event be moved to a different pass?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Bill,

Yeah I am a total 4x4 Chika... I'm always up for some good wheeling! I was bummed I missed the Pizza run this last weekend. I have got to get my Ring and Pinion fixed before I will be wheeling my 4Runner, but my boyfriend also has a 93 4runner - and so his is the current wheeling rig :D So what's involed with membership? Is there a page that all that info lives on? I did not see it outright...

So if Guanella can't be cleared will the motorcycle event be moved to a different pass?
There are club resources that can help with your R&P.
Basically you show up at a club event (this one counts) and show up at a club meeting (like, say, the Feb meeting :thumb: ), pay your $50, you're in. It will help you in a lot of ways. Most of the money goes to 4x4 organizations too.

The Elephant Run is a do-or-die hard-core motorcycle event, so no, it won't be moved. It's brutal, it's a hoot, it requires a psychiatric diagnosis and a lot of shadetree engineering (sound familiar?), and it's a way cool thing to help it happen.

LandBruiser

Lifted
ok, so pay the membership fee then,.... How does one go about making snow chains themselves. Can it be done with a little time in the hardware shop? I would like to make this run with you all. If I dont have fr/rr lockers is it wise to just chain up one tire on the front axle and one on the rear thats doing the turning?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I'd put a pair of chains on an axle. Front or rear. If that's what ya got. I bought a set from CarQuest that just so happened to exactly match my existing pair (woohoo!) and clipped off some links and a crosschain to make them fit snugly. They came with one camlock each, so with a Red Chili, Subzali-inspired booty fabbed tool I could crank them tight.

When I was checking around, NAPA had chains for less than $90.:eek: But not in stock (could have changed by now!) No idea as to construction, manufacture, etc. The carquest ones were almost double that, $165/pr. or so.

You might swing by NAPA and see.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
BTW, you do not have to be a member to do this run of course... but it does provide benefits! (to you, not just to us... :D )