GoPro camera for cars and helmets

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
I was afraid of that, and I don't think there is an LCD on it by default, right? I heard version 2 OS is better, but maybe not.

I'll have my iphone with me, which takes decent photos, but sometimes it just takes total crappy ones. I was really hoping for something that would cross that bridge between video and camera fairly well in a compact package, and still use the standard image card that the DSLR uses. If I can mount it for Rubicon or something, then bonus. I really don't want/need 3 cameras....

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
Looks like new versions, Contour and now Sony action cam, have smart phone previewing of your image. Can't really see if you would be able to snap stills that way, but seems like that feature would really be secondary on any of them. Neither of the two mentioned vids have been fully released to market yet.

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
I could....but Best Buy lets you use a product for up to 30 days and return it for a full refund if you aren't satisfied. Seems like that would be a better "rental" program. I'm only using it for less than 2 weeks. If it stinks, I simply take it back and buy something else, or nothing at all. I was really hoping to get to play with a Contour and the Sony, but they are just too new.

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
I was afraid of that, and I don't think there is an LCD on it by default, right? I heard version 2 OS is better, but maybe not.

I'll have my iphone with me, which takes decent photos, but sometimes it just takes total crappy ones. I was really hoping for something that would cross that bridge between video and camera fairly well in a compact package, and still use the standard image card that the DSLR uses. If I can mount it for Rubicon or something, then bonus. I really don't want/need 3 cameras....

I have the GoPro HERO HD. It was $129 at BestBuy and the LCD screen was $79. With it you can see your shot and play back videos with sound. I dont know if this has a different OS than the earlier ones but switching from video to single shot, 3 shot, 10 second time delay,etc is a matter of pressing 1 button and selecting the icon for what you want. Having the LCD screen to see the larger icons probably makes it easier. According to their website they will have the smartphone app in the next month or so, so you can use your iphone or droid phone to view your videos.

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
Hero2 is the OS in question as to how easy it is. My gripe with GP is that they can't seem to release it all in one package. So, you buy the camera for $300, then add the $100 wifi (which doesn't work) and you wind up with a bulky package for $400. If you read the reviews on the wifi, GP had been delaying the release of that app for months with no end in sight.

Compare that with the sony, which comes in at $279 for all of it, and it shoots more fps than either GP or Contour. I think the mount system for Sony sucks, but that's just a matter of aftermarket catching up. The gotcha on the Sony is the MP for stills, which I think is around 3. At least the GP has MP around 11 for stills.

This is where I think the Best Buy return policy is worth it's weight in gold. Sure I could buy one from amazon for less, but BB let's me take home 2 of them to compare and play with. I'm a pretty careful guy, so the risk of damaging one is pretty small. I don't think BB is going to carry contour, but REI does. And REI's policy is pretty much the same. :)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Got a Hero3 for Christmas. Seems like it eats through the battery really quick. I bet I don't even get 30 minutes of video. Does this sound right, or do you think i have a dud?

Also, you can get a drone for the gopro: http://brinx.it/9Pu
(I don't have one).