GoPro camera for cars and helmets

You can push it pretty far. I'm really impressed with the quality of the video. They definitely need a lot of light though and they suffer a bit when you go through changing conditions (sun/shade/sun). If they can ever get a CCD sensor to fit into that case, instead of the CMOS, all I can say is, holy crap.

Here's a great site for accessories. Lots of handy stuff there such as a polarizer filter and mag mount. I know the guy that runs it from my surf photography days.

http://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.com/

Most fun I've had with it though is with the girls skiing. Been great to capture their first intro to skiing with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sppKiTisIsQ

(sorry, embed wasn't showing up for some reason...)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I got the little screen for the back of the Go Pro in the mail today, man that thing is as sweet as the camera itself! And playback is nice and smooth.. I with the menus were a little more intuitive but with 2 buttons I guess it's hard to give you too many features. Anyway will still try saving one local, but it's obviously just the slow card reader.

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
I got the little screen for the back of the Go Pro in the mail today, man that thing is as sweet as the camera itself! And playback is nice and smooth.. I with the menus were a little more intuitive but with 2 buttons I guess it's hard to give you too many features. Anyway will still try saving one local, but it's obviously just the slow card reader.

Where did you get that little screen? direct from Go Pro? i think they also sell locally at REI and Best buy.

Have you decided where to mount in the 100? I am going to do two mounts on my 100. One on the front bumper and one on the windshield infront of the rear view mirror. Then I can connect to the double din dvd player to see playback viewing.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
watch battery life!

That LCD screen will eat up batteries in a jiffy. make sure you use it to set up the shot then turn it off for recording, or for playback enjoyment. it's such a wide angle I figure it'll grab "everything" in front of it. :D

I picked up a battery bac-pac and will probably get one more so I can alternately charge/use them. they ain't cheap though.

I love mine. the seat post mount fits perfectly on my Gamiviti rack and I mount it so I can turn it on/off with my left hand out the window. :cool::thumb:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
That LCD screen will eat up batteries in a jiffy. make sure you use it to set up the shot then turn it off for recording, or for playback enjoyment. it's such a wide angle I figure it'll grab "everything" in front of it. :D

I picked up a battery bac-pac and will probably get one more so I can alternately charge/use them. they ain't cheap though.

I love mine. the seat post mount fits perfectly on my Gamiviti rack and I mount it so I can turn it on/off with my left hand out the window. :cool::thumb:

The last few times I have been out I simply set my Hero on taking a picture every minute. It really catches a lot of fun shots! Last snow run I was on it even caught a small group of guys (not in your club) burning something in a small pipe while I was helping the guys behind me rig winch cables. :rolleyes: By the way all incriminating pictures are for sale at $100 each....now how many minutes did that brush fire last? :D

I've stopped using the LCD since it was such a battery muncher. Battery pac is almost always on it, depending on what I've got it mounted to. It gets a little heavy but it's almost a must have item, along with extra batteries.

Just remember that with the wide angle, you've got to be close to your subject otherwise it just becomes background and you've lost your reference point.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I haven't mounted anything to the 100 yet. I did stick on a deal on my motorcycle helmet, also Gavin's motorcycle helmet, and have the handlebar mount on the motorcycle as well- it actually took some pretty cool footage, wasn't as bouncy as I thought it was going to be, but the helmet cam is a little clearer.. I am leaving the vehicle mounting for Utah, will be a good camp project. :camping:

UB, that's too funny man.. :lmao: also a good idea with the pic every couple minutes, will try that thanks!

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
I just got the LCD screen for the back of the Go-Pro for my birthday!!

Pretty cool.

It would be great if we could do a Go-Pro tips and tricks meeting sometime.

I.e. those that have them could explain how they use them and walk through the steps.

So far it looks like

Cardinal
Nakman
me
UB
Blair

Are users...

Blair knows a ton about mounitng and connecting to your stereo for charging.

I have the roll bar mount and used that at CM.

Maybe if there is time we could do 1 or 2 tips at the next club meeting?

I just got the LCD screen for the back of the Go-Pro for my birthday!!

Pretty cool.

It would be great if we could do a Go-Pro tips and tricks meeting sometime.

I.e. those that have them could explain how they use them and walk through the steps.

So far it looks like

Cardinal
Nakman
me
UB
Blair

Are users...

Blair knows a ton about mounitng and connecting to your stereo for charging.

I have the roll bar mount and used that at CM.

Maybe if there is time we could do 1 or 2 tips at the next club meeting?

i'd be up for meeting up for that as well.

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Watched one to many Go-Pro videos and picked up the wrist mount today at REI. Now I am gadget rich and technical know how poor....:) Heading to Costa Rica in 2 weeks, so the wrist mount will be cool for surfing.

Watched one to many videos and picked up the wrist mount today at REI. Now I am gadget rich and technical know how poor....:)

well, we should remedy that over a few pints. mondays and wednesdays work best for me and i'm not scheduled for any travel for another couple of weeks. last day of school was today as well so that makes things quite a bit easier.

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
Big Choice needs a brick pizza oven....
Need to go back and fill up my growler again tho

Mmm.....beer

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey I'll be over there tonight, and happy to talk Go Pro's!

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
Old thread back up.

So, I'm heading back to Italy and was wanting to take a smaller (less bulky) camera than my DSLR. I got to thinking and was wondering, why buy a point and shoot that will essentially never be used again after the trip. Maybe take a GoPro2 and just use it as a still camera? Then when I get back I have something to mount up on the bike/truck/board/etc where the DSLR would never work.

Thoughts?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
If you ask me it's not that great for just taking pictures- I have found the OS very cumbersome, it's cool to set it up once then go do something, but not what you want if you want to frame in the shot, view it afterwards, let's take another one, how did that look... you'll be there all day pressing the same 2 damn buttons fighting the OS navigation. IMHO, obviously. Borrow someone's for a while and check it out.