Gert's New Legs

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey I was there last year! 😉 I appreciate it, Lisa. I was quite nervous too! Thank you for allowing Andy some hall passes to help me 😁. And yeah, I'm down for next year as well!
I was super sick at CM last year so I don't remember much.... thats my excuse and Im sticking to it! lol I do remember you there now, my bad lol

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Looks awesome!
If you’re running wilwoods I had to bleed mine several times. A power bleeder will help a ton for that
What’s your caster at? Old front had horrible caster and consequently lots of wander. New one has much more caster and I’m one hand on the wheel as fast as it’ll go.
Grease your u joints often and you may need to remove the top BJ eliminator bolt and shorten it. I had to take a couple threads off to clear zirc fittings.
Don’t forget the big Allan for your BJ eliminators. They’re going to loosen until the settle in.

Have fun !

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
Dude your response is perfectly spot on. Funny you mention all you did because yes, I'm running Wilwoods and as I'm sure you know, they've got 4 total bleed screws each caliper but you only bleed the two "highest" screws, which I did 3 times so far. And while I'll do another 1-2 bleed efforts, I preemptively set an appointment on Wednesday afternoon with a shop in Moab to vacuum bleed the system if I still can't get it.

And then separately, you're spot on regarding the caster - I called PSC today and they told me the same thing. I'll check to be sure but I think I'm at 6-degrees caster right now. PSC recommended increasing it, which I will do.

And then yes, the upper ball joint hex head is literally the first thing on my tool packing list!

Thank you for the foresight on greasing the ujoints. I did so already but I'll keep an eye on it. I don't think I'll need to shorten the upper bolt; I've got about a quarter in clearance between it and the axle shaft yoke.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
I usually grease them every other trip.
We fought my brakes for 3 nights. It’s pretty good now but it was a big battle.
I had to clearance my bolts a little bit and we just replaced u joints in another and we had to take about two threads out.

Can’t wait to see pics

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
Figured I'd post this as a "conclusion" to the build now that CM is over; but this certainly won't be the last post as I have a slew of things to do correct and upgrade. The. Truck. Performed. AWESOME. Absolutely awesome, blew my mind frankly. I have never ridden in (let alone owned or built) a rig as capable as this one. Not intending to be boastful here but goodness, so proud of what I accomplished; the time and money spent, to have next to no issues during the entire trip. Truck just blows me away now.

On Wednesday evening we took it out on a shakedown run and did most of Hell's Revenge in preparation for Cliffhanger the next day. I got really bound up in escalator and thought I lost steering entirely. The steering wheel would NOT turn. Even called Rory with TrailMater at like 9PM. He told me it had to wait until the next morning and out of frustration it was a "let's try it one more time" situation where I just muscled the steering wheel and got the steering to FINALLY work. Andy's brother winched me off of Escalator. Come to find out, the damn steering stem flange was rubbing on my coilover tower with the frame as twisty as it was in that situation.

So we unfortunately skipped cliffhanger on Thursday to do the necessary tower/column clearance and then went and successfully did Potato Salad (another obstacle I've never done). Would have still loved to attend Cliffhanger but that day turned into 13 hours on the trail for those guys so maybe not so bad I missed it. Then Pritchett Friday, my bucketlist trail which the truck did flawless on. Had to winch up Chuey Hill and (regretfully, funny story for another day) friggin' rock pile but I nailed Axle Hill and everything else. So proud of crossing that trail off my list. Beautiful weather, great group, great drivers, great rigs.

We departed Saturday but even if I wanted to wheel Saturday, I have a very, very odd bind and intermittent noise coming from my driver front stub shaft or hub or unit bearing that I haven't investigated whatsoever yet. JKimmell, you were spot on - one of my two upper ball joint eliminator bolts backed out, but only by two threads - noticed that after Pritchett and haven't tightened it up yet. Not a single bolt moved otherwise though. ORIs are bar none my favorite things since sliced bread. Full hydro is inexplicably wonderful. I could go on and on about how well the thing did but now I'm starting to rant.

So with that, I'll be doing the following over the next month or so:
1) Getting that steering column replaced with something a little smaller in diameter and looking like less of a hack job (along with a slip joint)
2) Upgrading the master cylinder with a Wilwood unit with integral proportioning valve. The FJ80 upgraded unit on it will not stop leaking out of the cap. Then I'll vacuum bleed the brakes (bought a vacuum bleeding kit).
3) Smaller stuff not really worth listing but including cutting back my front bumper to clear tires that rub at full flex and turn, rerouting one of the two brake lines on the rear that's bugged me since I installed it, and other smaller stuff.

I've also concluded that the rear is holding this truck's capability back and all of the sudden I'm contemplating moving up my timeline on linking the rear, cutting the bed off, doing a fuel cell, etc. We'll see if that happens after this wheeling season.

I didn't take many pics because I was driving the whole time but the Pritchett group is going to compile pics and videos and share them. I'll post pics or a link to pics and vids as soon as that happens. But for now, things will be a bit quiet on this thread until I start correcting some of these issues and doing smaller upgrades. Thank you all for the advice given and for rooting me on. I report back now with a successful build and a fantastic trip!

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Well done, man!! Anxious to see pics and video.

Chewy owns me, too. It used to be nothing, then it was hard, now I may as well start with a hook in my hand.

Are you running Milestar black labels? Ditch 'em. They are unworthy of your rig. Get a set of real stickies and I'll be the only one winching Chewy. :ROFLMAO:

Mark

Last edited:

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
Haha seriously, Mark. It became a wheelbase game the while time. Super interesting to see, no matter the build, what impact wheelbase has on that trail in particular. Had rigs as short as 106 and as long as 124, with everything in between.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Well done, man!! Anxious to see pics and video.

Chewy owns me, too. It used to be nothing, then it was hard, now I may as well start with a hook in my hand.

Are you running Milestar black labels? Ditch 'em. They are unworthy of your rig. Get a set of real stickies and I'll be the only one winching Chewy. :ROFLMAO:

Mark
You just need a little more bump and better tires

Great to hear it all worked. I’d go automatic atlas before anything else but I’m biased. Then you really learn how to use and preserve your equipment

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
And sorry yes I'm running PANTYgonia black label. Total trash. When I do the rear, I'll be going 40" sticky BFGs or Trepadors. And agreed JKimmel, Atlas will come with the very-far-down-the-road V8 swap but getting that rear linked is more palatable (and more aligned with my current motivation to continue to build) for now 😀

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
And sorry yes I'm running PANTYgonia black label. Total trash. When I do the rear, I'll be going 40" sticky BFGs or Trepadors. And agreed JKimmel, Atlas will come with the very-far-down-the-road V8 swap but getting that rear linked is more palatable (and more aligned with my current motivation to continue to build) for now 😀
I was talking about mark
Those tires ought to work pretty well for you.
Glad it worked so well for you, it’s a long time coming

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
No sweat I forgot to reply to Mark's last portion, but I get ya now. I'm smellin' what you're steppin' in 😁