• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Gert's New Legs

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
Got the rear "done" today. God I forgot how much I hate welding on backbones. Question, anyone familiar with Wilwood 4-pistpn calipers? I've heard mixed reviews about them. I might go 6 piston front 4 piston rear but I'm not sold on that yet.

I also made some simple zero protectors for the front lower ball joints.

Admittedly I started this build thread too early but I also didn't expect my third members to take this long. I'm still waiting for them but since I have everything cut to length, I can order axle shafts!

I'm also gonna be doing a quick disconnect steering wheel so I'll post that in a week or two (hey, gotta do at least one upgrade before cruise moab!).

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
Sorry, here are the pics.

Attachments

• 20230319_165031.jpg
    20230319_165031.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 100
  • 20230319_165025.jpg
    20230319_165025.jpg
    771.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 20230319_165019.jpg
    20230319_165019.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 93
  • 20230319_161037.jpg
    20230319_161037.jpg
    870.9 KB · Views: 98

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
Thank you sir. Correction above, ***zerk protectors. Any thoughts, feelings, concerns, snide remarks on Wilwood 4 piston, or frankly an 4 piston brakes? I'm low power and light vehicle but haven't ever run anything but stock calipers.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Nah, my setup is completely different but based on factory to what you’re going to I’d imagine a 4 piston is plenty. Mine are 4 piston wilwoods with 14” lightweight rotors but manual so who knows

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
Totally unrelated to my axle upgrade but still fun. Installed a quick disconnect steering wheel today which should give me some serious mall-cred. Love this thing. Had to do at least one thing before Moab.

Attachments

• 20230331_102235.jpg
    20230331_102235.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
  • 20230331_102226.jpg
    20230331_102226.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
  • 20230331_102241.jpg
    20230331_102241.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 87

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
Well boys and girls, haven't posted in over 2 mos but that's because there ain't much to update on, because I'm STILL waiting on my thirds. Evan Weller is still waiting on the ring and pinions and if I'm honest, I'm more than mildly concerned about getting the thirds within even another 3 mos. It's been since November 27th since I ordered them. JKimmel, you were spot on in that your parts are FAR more sourceable than mine and now I'm faced with buying a spare R&P just for the sake of having a spare that would otherwise be a 9 month lead time, I'm somewhat regretting my decision to go as custom as I have, honestly. HP front and rear isn't as sexy as it sounds at this point.

However, if I break an R&P with 100 HP, I need to question things even more!

In the meantime, I have pivoted to ordering my full hydro, my link mounts from 4WU (links themselves will come later since I'm stretching 4" front, ideally), and focusing on other ancillaries such as my 4-point harnesses. I'm 99% going to go with 3-link coilover front (and not staying with my current leafs) but stick with leafs rear for now until I back half rear and do fuel cell at the same time.

Admittedly, I started this thread too early but when I get those damn thirds, game on. That releases axle shafts and driveshafts, plus much more.

Stay tuned. I don't plan on posting until I get the PSC steering and link mounts, but that'll be at least another month I'm sure. Truck is going under the knife in November at this point, subject to receipt of third members. I'm gonna start with the rear axle and then finish with the more complicated front. Can't wait to go full hydro and get rid of the damn steering box!!! Gonna free up so much room to stretch the front. I'm currently at 106" wheelbase and plan on stretching front 4" and the rear 2" so that I can get to 112".

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
Alright ready for an update? Drumroll.......There is no update. These thirds are absolutely killing me. On November 29th it'll be a year so I have been waiting for 9 months thus far. In May Evan Weller told me that they are still waiting for the gears but that it wouldn't take long at all once they received them. Early this month he told me the same thing but provided a little more detail stating that US Gear has 150 R&Ps done and that Evan Weller was "trying to get 20 of them". I have no option but to trust that AJ of Evan Weller is telling me thr truth and frankly, I do trust him. It's out of his control, he's very communicative, and states that this is hurting a lot of his clients (this is gonna get messy with the racers he sponsors). I called GearWorks directly (everything is coming from GearWorks) and they told me the same situation. So this is 100% caused by US Gear. I've looked online, no one has them. Not Yukon, not Nitro, not Randy's, not Tom's Differentials, no one.

If I'm honest there's a bit of buyer's remorse at this point. These thirds will be just about the best you can buy - same as those used in Baja and Ultra4, but I desperately hope to never have to wait on gears like this ever again. I don't fear breakage though with my mighty 100HP engine, light rig, and low gears but it is in the back of my mind.

Switching "gears", I am most likely to link the front so that I can stretch the wheelbase and go full hydro. But there is a small chance that I stick with leafs. Not totally decided. But I have decided that I'll run 4340 from Branik (thanks J Kimmel) and not 300m. I'll run whatever the biggest joints are that allow me to take advantage of 50-degree steering.

I have done a few upgrades that I have found much more worth it than I thought though (I have to do something). New quick disconnect steering wheel and new seats and harnesses (previously only had 2-point harnesses, now I have 4-point). Ripped out the carpet, cleaned up the interior, mounted a new center console, and made shoulder strap mounts with sandwich plates. I fully acknowledge that these are not as robust as being tied in with a cage, but it's better than I had and I ain't racing the thing. But one of the two seats I ordered showed up friggin purple so I sent it back and am waiting for the correct black one. Pics attached for entertainment. Seriouosly some underrated upgrades. And I have a fluid container holder from Artec that I also need to mount.

Sorry for the non-update. I really don't plan on posting again until I receive the thirds and post pics of them with mirror-polished gears! I'm done teasing everyone including myself!

Attachments

• 20230831_220757.jpg
    20230831_220757.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 63
  • 20230831_220802.jpg
    20230831_220802.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 66

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
42 stickies with water and zero issues, I’d cancel them and get 9” and call it good. I have 45° in the front and it’s a dramatic improvement over 34° kingpins.
You’re going to burn yourself out before you ever get anything done. Don’t overthink it because everything you have is a 1000% upgrade over what you had even without ultra4 third members. It’s not necessary.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
You ever get your thirds? Friend just ordered and got a pair in really reasonable time for a buggy build.
That's a touchy subject.... Last Derek and I talked, "still waiting"

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
Haha well I am just now seeing these messages because for some reason my push notifications got toggled off when Hulk updated my membership status. No harm no foul but I went to go provide this update and saw these. My apologies. Hot off the press: both Gearworks and Evan Weller confirmed that 151 sets of gears (which includes mine) are FINALLY in hand (also a popular subject on IG). So I was certainly in good company waiting for these things. Evan Weller tells me they expect my sets back in their hands from shot peening by the end of next week and they'd let me know delivery time after that. Huge relief but still doing my best to not be overly optimistic. Just so glad to hear SOMETHING at the 10 month mark.
That’s more than frustrating I’d assume.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Haha well I am just now seeing these messages because for some reason my push notifications got toggled off when Hulk updated my membership status. No harm no foul but I went to go provide this update and saw these. My apologies. Hot off the press: both Gearworks and Evan Weller confirmed that 151 sets of gears (which includes mine) are FINALLY in hand (also a popular subject on IG). So I was certainly in good company waiting for these things. Evan Weller tells me they expect my sets back in their hands from shot peening by the end of next week and they'd let me know delivery time after that. Huge relief but still doing my best to not be overly optimistic. Just so glad to hear SOMETHING at the 10 month mark.
I'll believe it when i see them in your hands

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
Just in time to finish for cm 2024
Yeah I agree Andy and my goodness I hope so JK. Already emailed 4wheelunderground to see how Brian's lead times are looking but the first thing that gets ordered are axle shafts.

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
FINALLY. 11 months and 5 days but they're here. Time to get to work. I'm going to do the rear first since it'll be quick and dictate how much I need to stretch the front to get to my goal wheelbase of 112", depending on how much I can stretch the rear. Not sure when exactly I'll start it but I'll keep this thread updated. No later than Thanksgiving.

Then I'll get the rear axles and driveshaft ordered while I start on the front. My 4WheelUnderground components should be here very soon as well. Only ordered the coilover towers and brackets for the axle and frame for now - coilovers, links, and bumps will come later.

So relieved to see these damn thirds.

Attachments

• 20231103_163832.jpg
    20231103_163832.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 20231103_163838.jpg
    20231103_163838.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • 20231103_163846.jpg
    20231103_163846.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • 20231103_163921.jpg
    20231103_163921.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Nice! I bet you're thrilled.

I've forgotten: Are you 4-linking the back, or three? I'm anxious to see your work, and progress.

Mark

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
Yeah man beyond stoked. Leafs in the rear for now. I will 4 link the rear at some point, just not now. 3 link in the front from 4WU. Not sure on coilover length just yet, but probably 14s, we'll see. I'll keep the updates flowing once this thing goes under the knife.