• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

GAIA GPS

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
linux tried to save us but humans prefer the paid mediocrity :ROFLMAO:

I'll send @3rdGen4R some more granular details and let the thread drift back to the Gaia learning goal.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
@3rdGen4R; do you work for Apple? If not, I have a contact within the company that I could get in touch with and see what he can do about things of this nature that pop up.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah, I'm not a fan of uninstall and reinstall, it never addresses what the problem is and it will probably just resurface and fix itself with no explanation. I guess life could be worse, your T2 (bios) chip could just kill itself on a OS upgrade which is happening to a ton of MAC OS users right now. Can you imagine doing a update that your computer told you to do and losing all of your data and having no recourse besides paying someone like me to fix it because apple denies it's their fault. I have spent the last 2 days talking with people all over the country about this feeling bad that apple will more than likely do nothing to help them get there data back.

Phillip
I have an older (2013) MacBookPro running Mohave. Still haven't upgraded it to Catalina much less Big Sur. I'd be super pissed if upgrading the OS bricked my computer.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
ve a contact within the company that I could get in touch with and see what he can do about things of this nature that pop up.
Kind of a interesting question about working for apple. I actually took on a contract with apple for different repairs around the area that is in the process of taking place and is kind of confusing. As far as apple goes third party repair is a mess when it comes to apple and really other companies this year also took action to make repair harder for electronic devices such as smartphones. Right to repair is a interesting issue that has pushed apple to change but overall I'm actually not a fan of legislation forcing regulatory actions against a company for the sake of my own business.

I have an older (2013) MacBookPro running Mohave. Still haven't upgraded it to Catalina much less Big Sur. I'd be super pissed if upgrading the OS bricked my computer.

It seems to be Macbooks just like yours that are experiencing the issue. If your storage is soldiered to your board I would recommend strongly in making sure you actually make sure the data is backup in time machine off on a external device before you do it. Catalina actually had the same issue as well to a certain number of machines.

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Huh. We have that laptop and it’s become non functional.

as far as Gaia goes so far decent luck with my android tablet but maybe I’m behind on updates. I’ll be using it a bunch this weekend so we’ll see

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Huh. We have that laptop and it’s become non functional.

as far as Gaia goes so far decent luck with my android tablet but maybe I’m behind on updates. I’ll be using it a bunch this weekend so we’ll see

Is your data backed up on it?

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
It is, which is why it just sits now, we just don’t use it we use other computers instead

It’s something you can probably fix yourself if you want to. It’s just a matter of doing what Apple calls a dfu restore. You will lose all of your data.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Anyone interested in another Gaia group session? I just started playing with the 3D satellite layer and it's super cool and helpful! It would be fun to share tips and tricks with everyone. I'm not an expert and looking to learn more!

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 10.05.34 PM.png

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Anyone interested in another Gaia group session? I just started playing with the 3D satellite layer and it's super cool and helpful! It would be fun to share tips and tricks with everyone. I'm not an expert and looking to learn more!

View attachment 100958
Is this the phone app I keep hearing about or a different web-based thing?

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I’m interested but I only use the phone app. Is this sufficient?
I just purchased the (pro version?) upgrade and I don’t really know how use it.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
We could do another GAIA session. I haven’t messed around with the new features yet, but from the looks of it, it could be a really interesting feature.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Is this the phone app I keep hearing about or a different web-based thing?
It’s a phone app that works on both major platforms. It’s a mapping system that lets you later get reference maps on top of maps. It’s really nice to use when planning and executing trips. www.gaiagps.com

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I wouldn't mind doing a session. I installed a new Kenwood deck in my truck and it has android auto with GAIA support.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
It’s a phone app that works on both major platforms. It’s a mapping system that lets you later get reference maps on top of maps. It’s really nice to use when planning and executing trips. www.gaiagps.com
The photo @mcgaskins posted looks more like a web browser/desktop thing. Maybe it support both? It would be nice to edit/create maps on a larger screen and then port it to the phone when I'm out in the sticks. Definitely interested in training because I haven't like the other wheeling-oriented apps I've used.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The photo @mcgaskins posted looks more like a web browser/desktop thing. Maybe it support both? It would be nice to edit/create maps on a larger screen and then port it to the phone when I'm out in the sticks. Definitely interested in training because I haven't like the other wheeling-oriented apps I've used.
Yup. So you can use the desktop, ipad, and iPhone, android devices for GAIA. It’s had impovements int he last couple of years that make it so you can do most things by the phone, but I still like having a big screen to plan on, but you don’t necessarily need it .

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I’ve been using caltopo for years for printing maps.... I had no idea they had phone based stuff.
The CalTopo app isn't nearly as slick as Gaia. I don't use it so that's not an issue personally. The pro level subscription allows exporting of tiles that I can import into the Garmin GPS receivers I use if I want to use a digital map.

I'm also not a huge fan of CalTopo's use of OAuth to log in. You need to go through your Apple, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft or Farcebook account. I understand why they're going it but I'd really prefer a simple email/password hardened with 2FA instead.

There's no perfect solution but CalTopo better aligns with what I need for planning and jives better with what I'm willing to share.

Last edited: