GAIA GPS

AimCOTaco

Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
linux tried to save us but humans prefer the paid mediocrity :ROFLMAO:

I'll send @3rdGen4R some more granular details and let the thread drift back to the Gaia learning goal.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
@3rdGen4R; do you work for Apple? If not, I have a contact within the company that I could get in touch with and see what he can do about things of this nature that pop up.

Hulk

Cruise Moab Chairman & Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah, I'm not a fan of uninstall and reinstall, it never addresses what the problem is and it will probably just resurface and fix itself with no explanation. I guess life could be worse, your T2 (bios) chip could just kill itself on a OS upgrade which is happening to a ton of MAC OS users right now. Can you imagine doing a update that your computer told you to do and losing all of your data and having no recourse besides paying someone like me to fix it because apple denies it's their fault. I have spent the last 2 days talking with people all over the country about this feeling bad that apple will more than likely do nothing to help them get there data back.

Phillip
I have an older (2013) MacBookPro running Mohave. Still haven't upgraded it to Catalina much less Big Sur. I'd be super pissed if upgrading the OS bricked my computer.

3rdGen4R

TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
ve a contact within the company that I could get in touch with and see what he can do about things of this nature that pop up.
Kind of a interesting question about working for apple. I actually took on a contract with apple for different repairs around the area that is in the process of taking place and is kind of confusing. As far as apple goes third party repair is a mess when it comes to apple and really other companies this year also took action to make repair harder for electronic devices such as smartphones. Right to repair is a interesting issue that has pushed apple to change but overall I'm actually not a fan of legislation forcing regulatory actions against a company for the sake of my own business.

I have an older (2013) MacBookPro running Mohave. Still haven't upgraded it to Catalina much less Big Sur. I'd be super pissed if upgrading the OS bricked my computer.

It seems to be Macbooks just like yours that are experiencing the issue. If your storage is soldiered to your board I would recommend strongly in making sure you actually make sure the data is backup in time machine off on a external device before you do it. Catalina actually had the same issue as well to a certain number of machines.

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Huh. We have that laptop and it’s become non functional.

as far as Gaia goes so far decent luck with my android tablet but maybe I’m behind on updates. I’ll be using it a bunch this weekend so we’ll see

3rdGen4R

TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Huh. We have that laptop and it’s become non functional.

as far as Gaia goes so far decent luck with my android tablet but maybe I’m behind on updates. I’ll be using it a bunch this weekend so we’ll see

Is your data backed up on it?

3rdGen4R

TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
It is, which is why it just sits now, we just don’t use it we use other computers instead

It’s something you can probably fix yourself if you want to. It’s just a matter of doing what Apple calls a dfu restore. You will lose all of your data.