UPDATE: I got that map layer to load finally, I logged out and logged back into the app and now its working.
Android app is killin' me today dudes. Trying every damn forum trick in the book to try and get my app to sync. Waiting on a support ticket now.
It just say's it's syncing for hours and nothing changes. Tried updating credentials etc etc.. This on a tablet I bought for Gaia, it's fine on my android phone.
Currently trying to force it by running https://www.gaiagps.com/open/sync.forceallpush and it's just staring back unresponsively and the OS wants to kill it. Maybe staring at the phone screen next trip after all.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of uninstall and reinstall, it never addresses what the problem is and it will probably just resurface and fix itself with no explanation. I guess life could be worse, your T2 (bios) chip could just kill itself on a OS upgrade which is happening to a ton of MAC OS users right now. Can you imagine doing a update that your computer told you to do and losing all of your data and having no recourse besides paying someone like me to fix it because apple denies it's their fault. I have spent the last 2 days talking with people all over the country about this feeling bad that apple will more than likely do nothing to help them get there data back.You are correct! However, it looks like all the tracks show on both devices with minor changes like colors etc.. I don't think there is any data at risk either... was preferring to solve & fix if possible but not looking promising.
Just logged out and told it to delete unsynced stuff.... and its unresponsive again.... now to uninstall GAIA and try from scratch.
Last successful sync is just a spiny thingy the last 2 days, not data.
Full agree on the ecosystem support stuff, not just a Gaia thing, ironically I bought this tablet for use with Gaia expecting it to just work. I really wish GAIA would fully support android or call it beta/sell it lower.
Fully supported would be great, happy to pay for that, wish it worked lots better on Android.