Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Moonshiner

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Great song, but I've always thought that it was kind of silly for a 22 year old to sing about "if whiskey doesn't kill me, I don't know what will."

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Partial from Wiki...

"The Moonshiner" is a folk song with disputed origins. It is believed that the song originated in America, then later was made famous in Ireland. Others believe that it was the other way around. The Clancy Brothers stated on their recording that the song is of Irish origin, but again, this is disputed. Delia Murphy was singing it in Ireland from the late 1930s

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I've been diggin' the new AWOLNATION album. Hollow Moon is killer (video is kinda silly though)

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Great song, but I've always thought that it was kind of silly for a 22 year old to sing about "if whiskey doesn't kill me, I don't know what will."
I don't know when you started seeing Tupelo shows, but those early days at Cicero's and the first shows at Mississippi Nights everyone was really drunk so looking back it might not have been a stretch.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
That AWOLNATION isn't bad but word to listeners some lyrics are NSFW.

Similarly, Modest Mouse just released a new record that's pretty decent. But talk about a dull video.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
A plug for another band, CaveofswordS. They just released their second record Sigils a month or so ago. The guitarist and the bassist are first cousins of mine.

Pretty cool music. Any chance they'll be touring Denver?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Yeah, not sure I would have (or will) gone out of my way to see bands playing their style of music (ambient electronic shoegazer?) but now that I've been exposed it's kind of engaging. At this point I doubt they'll tour this far away from St. Louis but you never know.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
It worked. I pre-ordered their record. It releases next Tuesday I think. They are kind of late 1960s funk-garage rock, The Standells, Sonics, MC5 or whatever.

lcc702.jpg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Like this:

Or one of Kirsten and my favorite guilty pleasures, the Electric Six. Saw those guys at the Mile High Music Fest once and they had the white leather pants and the whole thing.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Of course The Count Five 5 so wanted to be the Yardbirds. But so did a lot of other bands. It's exactly what defined the style, what it would sound like when people jammed in their garages. The Yardbirds were a lot better and innovative musicians.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Of course The Count Five 5 so wanted to be the Yardbirds. But so did a lot of other bands. It's exactly what defined the style, what it would sound like when people jammed in their garages. The Yardbirds were a lot better and innovative musicians.

My opinion on the matter is that Giorgio Gomelsky, the Yardbirds' producer after their first album, didn't have a clue how to make a good sounding recording. Their output mostly sounded as if it had been recorded in a bad sounding garage. The original British pressings that I have have, even the monos, sound horrible compared to those of the Beatles, Rolling Stones and the bloody Who. With guitar players like Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck how could the Yardbirds not have been, as you say, better and innovative? They truly did rock! Some of the lousy sound can be blamed on the use of "Electronically Reprocessed Stereo" so prevalent at the time but heavy handed mixing made their great music sound like dreck. Again, just my opinion.