Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
It's afternoon somewhere.

Pretty insightful writing for 1971.

Blow up your TV, throw away your paper
Go to the country, build you a home
Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
Try an find Jesus, on your own

"Spanish Pipedream"is one of my all time favorites.
Every time I hear it I can't help but think of the iconic photo of Ed Abbey:

edwardabbey.jpeg

IIRC the same photo appears in Mother Earth News and Outside.

How can any thread about Friday music be complete without the quintessential song for the start of the weekend.

I give you "Shanty" (AKA the Friday song):

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
My first taste of "concert diapers" when I was a youngin'. I only wish I had seen these guys more in their prime.

Crash

Rising Sun Member

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

"Sarah Jane and the Iron Mountain Baby"
Steve Martin & Edie Brickell
Love Has Come For You

The guys from Missouri might, or not, have heard of the Iron Mountain baby (looking especially your way Crash, William Helms graduated from SMSU, which I didn't know). Edie Brickell wrote a song inspired by the original story and maybe loosely on the original ballad. In any case it's a good song from a pretty good album. Steve Martin wanted to be a banjo player way back and sure does have very respectable ability on the duets with Edie as well his shows touring with the Steep Canyon Rangers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Mountain_Baby

http://www.steepcanyon.com/

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Will give the Iron Mountain Baby vid a looksee. Any idea when WH graduated? Off to get plates for the 40 this very minute. SMSU? Now known as MSU - Missouri State University!!! Go Bears!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'd guess in the late 1920s, probably around the same time as you. You guys could have gone to a speakeasy together or something. Of course being the buckle of the Bible Belt I think they probably still have those in Springfield.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I'd guess in the late 1920s, probably around the same time as you. You guys could have gone to a speakeasy together or something. Of course being the buckle of the Bible Belt I think they probably still have those in Springfield.

If WH was there in the '20s then the school was called something like Farmers and Teachers College or something like that at the time, like CSU was up until a couple of years ago. :hill: Speakeasy? That would be thoroughly modern for the Buckle of the Bible Belt. Some folks are still living the Civil War in Sprangfield, MO. Actually, around the school and the downtown area they are trying to emulate LoDo and doing a fairly decent job of it with brewpubs leading the way.
DMV was packed to the rafters so plates for the 40 will wait until next week. That it passed is enough to make my weekend. :thumb:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
If it's anything like SEMO back then it was called a normal school, which of course it could no longer be when they admitted me. The original name was Southeast Missouri State Normal School, which just means it was a teachers college. I assume SMSU was the Southwest version of that.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Don't forget the sticker is all. ;-)

advisory-explicit-lyrics-poster-c10031853.jpg

This made me think of something.

I always found it pretty fullfilling that some of the musicians I looked up to were nothing like they were made out to be by the "other side". In testimony during a Senate hearing concerning the PMRC's proposed actions, the sticker pictured and the PMRC in general, Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister made one of the quotes that I hold dear to this day:

"The full responsibility for defending my children falls on the shoulders of my wife and I, because there is no one else capable of making these judgments for us."

I keep this in the back of my mind when it comes to raising my kids. I hope that my kids never suffer limits to the amount of emotion that music can convey; the forming of memories; the angst and the love.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
My first taste of "concert diapers" when I was a youngin'. I only wish I had seen these guys more in their prime.

I saw them at the Metro in Chicago on the Nothing's Shocking tour. Perry Farrell was high as a kite but the band shredded. One of the highlights was him holding a water bottle up to his crotch and screaming at the crowd, "Is there anybody out there that wants to s*ck my c*ck????!!!!" The adoring roar of the crowd affirmed that, yes, apparently there were some people in attendance who were enthusiastic about pleasuring Mr. Farrell. I was not one of them, but I enjoyed the music. It was a crazy show.

Actually it was the next album, Ritual De Lo Habitual, that made me a real fan. I was driving home on Lake Shore Drive one night when the song "Stop" debuted on the radio (WXRT). I made a quick exit, pulled my car to the curb, and turned up the volume. I'd never heard anything like it, and I don't expect I will ever hear anything that causes me to stop what I was doing the way that song did.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Former JANE'S ADDICTION star PERRY FARRELL is convinced he owes his youthful looks to 15 years or relentless drug taking.

The eccentric rocker insists he'll never become an anti-drug advocate because he thinks the best people in life have all experienced substance highs.
He says, "I feel that I lost 15 years worth of intensive efforts, but I look great. That's one thing that surprises me.

"I guess every generation goes through their drug thing and some people get through it and get clean and some don't.

"But, you know what, I'm sick of the people that are sober. I think sobriety is wrong... You're supposed to party on Friday night, and, if you don't, you're going against God's wishes."
And Farrell believes a lack of drugs in today's music industry is making current hits "stale".

He adds, "If you look at the great art movements, everyone's dabbled and experimented... I'm going to preface that by saying addiction is stupid. But the lack of experimentation is affecting the music today, and, as a result, the music is stale. They need to break on through."

I suggest prudence if you go to the article, the photo they include is, um, provocative.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news-article/farrell-the-drugs-do-work

He's right to some extent, the music now often to me sounds like what alternative and pop did in the 1980s and 1990s but less 'something' than when Pearl Jam and Bad Religion played it originally. I guess when you listen to the music from back then they were often inspired by the bands from the 50s, 60s and 70s, so it's probably just the way things are. There must be some theoretical max number of chord progressions possible, I dunno. Probably some certain number of combinations that sound good at least.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
He's right to some extent, the music now often to me sounds like what alternative and pop did in the 1980s and 1990s but less 'something' than when Pearl Jam and Bad Religion played it originally. I guess when you listen to the music from back then they were often inspired by the bands from the 50s, 60s and 70s, so it's probably just the way things are. There must be some theoretical max number of chord progressions possible, I dunno. Probably some certain number of combinations that sound good at least.

I remember my Dad being interested in only some of the music that I liked when I was a teenager, and I'm the same way about today's current rock & pop music. A lot of it just seems uninspired and copycat. I wonder if that's just a factor of age. We have a much bigger library in our brains, so it's harder for musicians to break new ground. Maybe some of the music we listened to and loved was copying someone else's earlier, better stuff, but we just didn't know it.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

The Gear Daddies
Drank So Much Tonight (Just Feel Stupid)
Let's Go Scare Al (1988)

Sometimes I swear I need a drink
Sometimes I swear to God I just don’t stop to think
I know tomorrow I’ll regret all these things I did
I drank so much tonight I just feel stupid

I didn’t go out planning to get this drunk
I guess my plans to get up and look for work are sunk

God only knows why I do these things
God, won’t you tell me why it always ends the same?
Still…

Sometimes I swear I need a drink
Sometimes I swear to God I just don’t stop to think

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

"Dirty Boots"
Sonic Youth
Goo (1990)

Here we go to another candle I know
All the girls there playin' on a jelly roll

Time to take a ride, time to take it in a midnite eye
And if you want to go, get on below
Pinking out the day, dreaming out the crazy way
Finger on the love, it's all above

Everywhere it's six-sex-six by luck
A satellite wish will make it just enough
You'll be making out with a witch in a coffee truck

Time to rock the road, and tell the story of the jelly rollin'
Dirty boots are on, hi di ho
Pinking out the black, dreaming in a crack
Satan got her tongue, now it's undone

I got some dirty boots, yeah dirty boots
I got some dirty boots, baby
Dirty boots

Hey!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Wreckless Eric recorded this with Steve Goulding on drums, who you (and I know Matt Farr will) recognize as the drum of the Mekons and the (Fabulous) Waco Brothers, among other bands (Poi Dog Pondering, Graham Parker & The Rumor, etc.). Nick Lowe (you remember, "Cruel To Be Kind") played bass on this recording.

"(I'd Go The) Whole Wide World"
Wreckless Eric
Single b/w "Semaphore Signals" (1977)

When I was a young boy
My mama said to me
There's only one girl in the world for you
And she probably lives in Tahiti

I'd go the whole wide world
Just to find her

Or maybe she's in the Bahamas
Where the Carribean sea is blue
Weeping in a tropical moonlit night
Because nobody's told her about you

Just to find her
To find out where they hide her

Why am I hanging around in the rain out here
Trying to pick up a girl
Why are my eyes filling up with these lonely tears
When there's girls all over the world

Is she lying on a tropical beach somewhere
Underneath the tropical sun
Pining away in a heatwave there
Hoping that I won't be long

I should be lying on that sun-soaked beach with her
Caressing her warm brown skin
And then in a year or maybe not quite
We'll be sharing the same next of kin

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Something else. Local band, go see them if you get a chance. I first heard about them on the 2014 IBMA World of Bluegrass compilation, so they had to travel all the way to Raleigh but you can hear 'em right here around town. In fact they are playing at Oskar Blues next week.

https://ibma.org/world-of-bluegrass

"Ramblin' Feels Good"
Jeff Scroggins and Colorado

http://www.jeffscrogginsandcolorado.com