• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Experience/comments with "Toy Doctor"?

Bighead

Trail Ready
Ok...so finally got around to calling "Toy Doctor" on Broadway.

They use Castrol oil exclusively (engine, diffs, tcase).

They are ok with customers bringing in their own fluids but charge an additional $65 due to the "extra work" involved with putting the customers fluids into their pumps...So fluid cost + $65 to BYOF :(

Other "gotcha"...The AT exchange is really a drain and fill, not a full exchange. Tim's mention in a previous post of doing the "4 qt drop & swap" made me question the coupon as it states "up to 4 qts" for the AT. Full AT exhange is $175 using their brand of fluid.

Other thing I checked on was a radiator flush (not just a drain and fill) and that runs $99 using Toyota Red.

So....seems like the good deal isn't all that great of a deal, especially for a person wanting to use a different fluid type than what they use :(

I've got no reason to doubt Castrol oil is good, but I have yet to see anyone recommend it...Might be time for some late night PM duties on my part and just get it done...

Wow...I just went to a place in the Springs that uses the BG machines and did an ATF exchange ( ;) ) and a coolant flush. I brought in my own Mobil 1 ATF and pre-mixed Toyota red coolant and he did the rest. I was actually charged less than the listed service price since I brought my own fluids.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Wow...I just went to a place in the Springs that uses the BG machines and did an ATF exchange ( ;) ) and a coolant flush. I brought in my own Mobil 1 ATF and pre-mixed Toyota red coolant and he did the rest. I was actually charged less than the listed service price since I brought my own fluids.

Good find! I can't really fault a business for not wanting customers to bring in their own fluids as I'm sure they make some $$ off that part but I didn't buy the "it cost $65 more as the tech has to put your fluids into the fill pumps" line either. Sadly, had they been more accomodating to me bringing in the fluids and charging a reasonable labor rate (like you found) then they might have had a customer for life.

Personally, IMO changing fluids is a messy hassle that I don't miss doing. It takes me 3x as long to do it and I have to dispose of the oil, procure the fluids, etc. I'd rather be kicking the soccer ball around with the :Princess:s and let the folks that make a living doing this do the work and help make the world go around. Alas, I'll probably just do my own...

What was the name of the place you used Lance? Maybe they have a sister business up here :thumb:

Bighead

Trail Ready
When it comes to an ATF and coolant swap, the sheer amount of fluid to dispose of makes me find a business to do it for me. If I do an oil or diff fluid change or an ATF drain and fill, that amount is manageable and easily disposed of at the local Autozone.

Jeff: It was Airport Automotive in C. Springs (719-570-7212 / e-mail: gary@airportautomotive). Gary is the owner/mechanic so I doubt he has another shop in the Denver area but he may have somebody to recommend.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
You really should try Toy Car Care.
303-799-3895
6844 S. Potomac St.
Centennial, CO 80112
(2 blocks south of Arapahoe Road).

Both Romer and I can vouch for them. They have done amazing things for my FJ40 emissions as well as occasional maintenance on my 80.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Matt...I've seen numerous mentions of Toy Car Care so I guess I'll have to give them a try :) If nothing else than for the initial tranny fluid exhange. I'll drop it off and watch planes at Centennial take off and land as a bonus activity.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
...but I didn't buy the "it cost $65 more as the tech has to put your fluids into the fill pumps" line either. ...
Actually, that is not just a cynical line. It takes a significant amount of additional time, and the fluids in the fill pumps/tanks are bought at a bulk rate and much cheaper because of it.
It hits the dealer/service guy at the bottom line, and he isn't a nonprofit...

But for that reason, I don't do fluids at Burt. Unfortunately they contracted with Pennzoil years ago, and I've made my thoughts on Pennz elsewhere pretty plain. It is prohibitively more expensive to have them use my fluids, but I don't blame them for it.

I had my ATF exchange :)hill: ) done at Tilden's because I could wait for it, and they used my Mobil1 ATF (no cost break), and they used a BG machine.