• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Experience/comments with "Toy Doctor"?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Ok...So as much as I want to wrench on my own rig I'm running out of time, and oil changes, diff fluid changes, etc. isn't rocket science so I don't think I'll miss out on anything here :hill:

Have this place called Toy Doctor near me that has a special going on to change out the front and rear diffs, Tcase (assume center diff would apply here), and AT fluid (exhange not flush :thumb:) for $189. Seems reasonable as their reg cost is $310 :eek:. I figure the fluids alone would probably cost me upwards of $100 then a full day of my time (yeah, I'm REAL slow) so for $189 :rolleyes:

Has anyone out there had good, bad, or indifferent experiences with Toy Doctor? I haven't called them to see what fluids they use or if they'll let me buy my own and just charge labor. But, this way I'm sure it will get done as I can drop the LX off on my way into work and pick it later that day :thumb:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Decent. I'd do it.
If they don't use the B-G flushing machine on the AT, it is hardly worth it though. Flush that baby. Your tranny will thank you 50K miles from now.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Bill,

Most posts I've read on 80 series PM is that the AT fluid "exchange" (using the AT's pump) is better for the rig than a flush. Maybe I have confused myself :dunno:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Don't flush!!! Jeff the posts you've read about 80 trannies are all true, not worth the risk IMO, let those little tranny bits stay in their happy little places.

What I'd recommend is exchange the ATF, then every oil change from now on do the 4 quart drop & swap. good to go, forever.

and no experience with Toy Doctor, sorry. But 10 quarts of gear oil is like $90, and 14 quarts of ATF is probably $60, with tax. Obviously depends on what you put in there...

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
Don't flush!!! Jeff the posts you've read about 80 trannies are all true, not worth the risk IMO, let those little tranny bits stay in their happy little places.

What I'd recommend is exchange the ATF, then every oil change from now on do the 4 quart drop & swap. good to go, forever.

and no experience with Toy Doctor, sorry. But 10 quarts of gear oil is like $90, and 14 quarts of ATF is probably $60, with tax. Obviously depends on what you put in there...

x2 DON'T FLUSH, YOU'LL THANK YOURSELF LATER WHEN YOUR NOT BUYING A TRANS.:D

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Ben, do you do the fluid exchange? Robbie did it for me right after I got my 80 about 18 months ago. Said I should do it again.

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
Ben, do you do the fluid exchange? Robbie did it for me right after I got my 80 about 18 months ago. Said I should do it again.

I can do it, depending on what the fluid looks like you might just need a drain and fill. Every 15k is usually good for drain and fill to keep it nice and red/pink. So every 3rd or 4th oil change.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
What's the difference between the flush and the exchange? Do both completely replace all of the fluid? I think I need to do this.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks all for the input as always :)

I'll wait until later this week to decide on Toy Doctor just in case someone posts up a bad experience. If not I'll be the guinea pig for those of us with that just can't seem to find a spare moment to work on our own rigs (and lack of know how on my part as well) and see how Toy Doctor goes. A guy I work with had the muffler replaced on his '99 ES300 and was pleased with the work but who knows.

The 'coupon' is good thru 4/30/07 if anyone else is interested. I'll also verify what fluids they use.

P.S. Tim...Quick question. How do you know when you've drained off 4 qts from the AT? Is it an eyeball/experience thing? I've got an oil pan but I'd be at a loss to know when 4 qts have drained out :confused:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
With my limited knowledge, the "flush" uses detergents to "clean" the transmission which can be harmful to the seals, etc. and eventually ruin your transmission.

Draining fluid out of the transmission via the drain plug does not completely drain it. I think all you get out is 4 qts. There is still quite a bit of fluid left in it. But evidently, doing this every 15k miles or so is enough to keep the transmission fluid clean enough. The exchange actually pumps probably twice the capacity of the transmission's worth of fluid through in order to end up with completely clean fluid. Kind of like Keith Richards getting a complete blood transfusion to remove all traces of illegal drugs from his body. :D

When I bought my 80 the fluid was kind of brownish, which is bad. I think that's why Robbie recommended another complete exchange after a year or so.

I'll defer to Ben for the completely technically correct answers.

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
Flush - outside pump pushes fluid throughout trans and out through cooler lines. Dont' necessarily use detergents or chemicals. Essentially two pumps are running at the same time. May put pressure where it isn't normally.

Exchange - uses transmission pump (the one that provides fluid pressure for operation) to push fluid out of cooler lines.

Drain and fill - pull trans drain plug and drain fluid out of pan (approx 3.5-4 qts) and refill.

Example of why seals don't like to do anything than be normal. It is a brake system buy none the less same principal. RX's suck the fluid out of each caliper using a vacula (air operated vacuum device for exchanging brake fluid) Almost guaranteed to blow (suck) the seal at the end of the master cyl, usually requires replacement of master cyl and brake booster (full of brake fluid). Same method but rather than powering up the vacula just use it as a catch basin and pump the brake pedal while opening and closing the bleeder valve - normal bleeding procedure. Seals stay intact and nothing is damaged.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
My son reports numerous cases of BG-flushed vehicles with over 300K miles and original trannies...:confused:

My Taco is running strong after same a couple years ago.

I've never been disappointed with BG products.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well my argument against has always been not wanting to dislodge any little particle that was sitting in a happy little corner somewhere. I never considered the seals, but this won't be the last time I learn something from LexiBen now is it.. :)

But you know about 4 qts drain out when the stuff stops dripping out of the pan. If you raise the right-front it will be a little more, also if you wait a while (like hours) it will be a little more... the rest of your ATF stays up in the torque converter.

Then to fill you just shove a funnel in the dipstick hole, and slowly add back the ATF. I usually stop at around 3.5 qts to check it but end up right at 4. My brother's 4Runner takes 4.5.. and I do this at every oil change. To get really geeky, Raven created a spreadsheet that predicts what % of ATF is new with every 4 quart swap, I'm sure you can find it if you look. Easier, IMO, to just start fresh, then keep it fresh. At only 2 OCI's per year I think the added cost is well worth it.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
But you know about 4 qts drain out when the stuff stops dripping out of the pan. If you raise the right-front it will be a little more, also if you wait a while (like hours) it will be a little more... the rest of your ATF stays up in the torque converter.

Then to fill you just shove a funnel in the dipstick hole, and slowly add back the ATF. I usually stop at around 3.5 qts to check it but end up right at 4. My brother's 4Runner takes 4.5.. and I do this at every oil change. To get really geeky, Raven created a spreadsheet that predicts what % of ATF is new with every 4 quart swap, I'm sure you can find it if you look. Easier, IMO, to just start fresh, then keep it fresh. At only 2 OCI's per year I think the added cost is well worth it.

Excellent. It is real world experience like this you don't find in the FSM or owner's manual :thumb:. I've seen that spreadsheet as well and also agree it is easier to start with all new, expecially on a rig with pretty much zero known history.

wesintl

RS Moderator
unless time is an issue do it yourself. I'll drop by for an hour if you need a hand or supervision. Git'er Done :thumb:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I did the fluid exchange on the tranny at Toy Car care for $99. The flush is not not good for 80 trannies.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Hmmm. Didn't know 80 trannies were weak. Wouldn't have expected it.

:lmao:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
unless time is an issue do it yourself. I'll drop by for an hour if you need a hand or supervision. Git'er Done :thumb:

Time is the issue for sure...Both :Princess:'s doing the soccer thing, wife going out of town, :blah: :blah: :blah: ...

And I'm slow...Not mentally, I just tend to get really anal about the work which slows the process. Ask the wife how long it takes me just to hang a picture :eek:. Get out the tape measure, hammer, nails, level, pencil, etc. etc., get it all measured out and lined up, measure a few more times :hill:

I want to spend what little time I have getting what mods I can afford installed and ready. I imagine the oil change and diffs are pull the plugs, drain, put plugs back in, refill. Easy but then you have to fartz around with getting rid of the oil...The AT fluid exchange is more involved from what I read but doable.

Realistically though it is hard for me to find a solid hour to work on stuff right now let alone a full day :(. Based on Tim's estimate of the fluids cost it doesn't seem like the Toy Doctor is making much on the deal so maybe there is a 'catch'...Need to call them and make sure it isn't one of those deals where the coupon applies to "most vehicles" but not mine type of thing.